elmcitymaven

Shaheen: It's Time to Put a Woman on the Twenty Dollar Bill

35 posts in this topic

Yesterday, on Equal Pay Day, U.S. Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH) introduced the Women on the Twenty Act, legislation that would direct the Secretary of the Treasury to convene a panel of citizens to recommend a woman whose likeness would be featured on a new twenty dollar bill. The legislation complements a grassroots campaign, Women on 20s (or “W20”), which has garnered hundreds of thousands of online votes in support of the change.

“Our paper currency is an important part of our everyday lives and reflects our values, traditions and history as Americans,” Shaheen said. “It’s long overdue for that reflection to include the contributions of women. The incredible grassroots support for this idea shows that there’s strong support for a woman to be the new face of the twenty dollar bill.”

In an online ballot, the W20 campaign has generated hundreds of thousands of votes for a number of inspiring women candidates to be portrayed on the twenty dollar bill. The campaign hopes to make the change by 2020, which marks the 100th anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment giving women the right to vote.

Although our paper currency has been redesigned several times to improve legibility and prevent counterfeiting, the portraits on the seven main bill denominations have not changed in nearly a century. Those portraits were chosen by a special Treasury-appointed panel of citizens in the late 1920s. The Shaheen legislation would allow for a new citizen panel to be appointed that would take into consideration the input of the American public to select a woman to honor in this way.

http://www.shaheen.senate.gov/news/press/release/?id=05739d4a-bb0e-4724-a49a-031aa0797fd3

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

hillary-clinton.nocrop.w529.h282.2x.jpg

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I say put a woman on the $1 to start with and let her work her way up to the $20

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

They need to get Andrew Jackson off of there.

What's wrong with having a racist, genocidal slave owner nicknamed "indian killer" represent the American people on the $20 bill?

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I remember as a kid Rich Little impersonating Ronald Reagan recommending putting Bo Derrick on the 10 dollar bill to encourage Americans to save money.

If it were my option I would put a Ferengi on the 100 dollar bill, Darth Vader on the 50, Ms Pacman on the 20, Batman gets the 10 dollar bill, Abe can stay on the five for now but if we demand fair equiity between DC and Marvel then I guess Thor is a good second choice.. Lets see.. a couple of lesbians making out on the 2 dollar bill and the one dollar bill can change year to year to whatever group whines the most the year before about feeling disenfranchised.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

I remember as a kid Rich Little impersonating Ronald Reagan recommending putting Bo Derrick on the 10 dollar bill to encourage Americans to save money.

If it were my option I would put a Ferengi on the 100 dollar bill, Darth Vader on the 50, Ms Pacman on the 20, Batman gets the 10 dollar bill, Abe can stay on the five for now but if we demand fair equiity between DC and Marvel then I guess Thor is a good second choice.. Lets see.. a couple of lesbians making out on the 2 dollar bill and the one dollar bill can change year to year to whatever group whines the most the year before about feeling disenfranchised.

deadpool. but do it quick before ryan reynolds ruins him.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

and here I am at work without photoshop :(

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Talking Geek I see. Let's do it right. Batman would have to get the 100 dollar spot. Because he's Batman! I'd go for Wolverine on the 50 over DV. Because Marvel is better than DC and DV can get on a quarter or something since the dark side sucks. Iron Man would go on the 20 since he's a prissy little bytch, the Doctor gets the 10 spot since I like David Tenant, Afroman should go on the 5 spot for obvious reason, your suggestion for the 2 dollar bill sticks, and for the 1 dollar I'd rotate between comics and anime characters.

So far RR has been doing ok. He's trying to undo that horrible rendition from Wolverine Orgins..

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I say put a woman on the $1 to start with and let her work her way up to the $20

Such a sexist comment. Women are the backbones of this nothing society in the U.S. nowadays. You should be lucky we are still around whipping men's noses.

We should be on the largest bill possible. They can make one specially for us.

So far RR has been doing ok. He's trying to undo that horrible rendition from Wolverine Orgins..

*pats self on back for never seeing wolverine origins*