Dakine10

South Carolina policeman charged with murder

114 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/07/us/south-carolina-officer-charged-murder/index.html

South Carolina policeman charged with murder

By Dana Ford, CNN

Updated 8:34 PM ET, Tue April 7, 2015

150407184824-tsr-vo-south-carolina-cop-s

South Carolina cop charged with murdering unarmed man 01:08
Story highlights
  • Michael Slager, an officer with the North Charleston Police Department, was arrested Tuesday
  • If convicted, he could face up to life in prison or death
  • A video appears to show the white officer shooting an unarmed black man as he ran away

(CNN)A South Carolina officer has been charged with murder after a video surfaced that appears to show him shooting an unarmed man who was running away.

Michael Slager, an officer with the North Charleston Police Department, was arrested Tuesday, according to a statement from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, or SLED. If found guilty of murder, he could face up to life in prison or death.

The shooting took place Saturday morning after a traffic stop, SLED said. Video obtained by The New York Times shows what happened.

A black man breaks away from the white officer. Something falls, and the officer fires eight shots at the man as he runs away. The man, who appears to be unarmed, drops to the ground.

"I can tell you that as the result of that video and the bad decision made by our officer, he will be charged with murder," North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey told reporters Tuesday. "When you're wrong, you're wrong. And if you make a bad decision -- don't care if you're behind the shield or just a citizen on the street -- you have to live by that decision."

CNN affiliate WCIV identified the victim as 50-year-old Walter Scott. His family spoke to WCIV over the weekend, before the officer was arrested, describing Scott as a good man who was about to be married.

"All we want is the truth, and we'll go any length to get that so that my brother can rest in peace," Anthony Scott told the affiliate.

150407184426-north-charleston-officer-sh
A moment from the video shows the officer, right, and a running man.

According to WCIV, Slager initially said through his attorney, David Aylor, that he followed the appropriate policies and procedures. Aylor later told CNN that he no longer represents the officer, and it was unclear whether Slager had obtained new representation.

Police reports show that Slager said he used his Taser. The officer later said: "Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser," according to reports.

The Justice Department released a statement Tuesday saying it would "take appropriate action in light of the evidence and developments in the state case."

"The South Carolina Office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation has opened an investigation concurrent with the S.C. Law Enforcement Division and are providing aid as necessary to the state investigation. The Department of Justice Civil Rights Division and the South Carolina U.S. Attorney's Office will work with the FBI in the investigation," it read.

North Charleston Police Chief Eddie Driggers, who spoke to CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront," described the shooting as tragic.

He said the incident began when the officer stopped Scott for driving with a brake light being out.

When asked whether he thought race played a role in what happened, Driggers did not rule it out.

The fatal shooting was the latest in a string of controversial deaths involving white officers and black suspects. The death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, touched off protests and sparked a nationwide debate over race and policing. Brown, an unarmed black teen, was shot by Darren Wilson, a white officer, last August.

"I want to believe in my heart of hearts that it was a tragic set of events after a traffic stop," Driggers said. "I always look for the good in folks, and so I would hope that nobody would ever do something like that."

QCjgyJZ.jpg

the moment that cop looked over at whoever was filming, he knew he was screwed.

Yup they gonna ring him up and rightly so.

The part I hate is how CNN with almost glee. announces the story with emphasis on race. They just gonna fan the flames. Lot of videos out there of white cops shooting white or black cops shooting white people. This is about a poorly trained cop who by all appearances committed murder. Not about race.

The part I hate is how CNN with almost glee. announces the story with emphasis on race. They just gonna fan the flames. Lot of videos out there of white cops shooting white or black cops shooting white people. This is about a poorly trained cop who by all appearances committed murder. Not about race.

when a story hits, all the big outlets cover it. cnn was not the only outlet that mentioned race in their headline. first and foremost this is about police brutality, but since minorities suffer police brutality at a much higher rate..it's about race also.

if this hadn't been recorded, cop's story would have sufficed and no one would even be talking about it. ever wonder why some of us went crazy to find out that darren wilson had checked his own evidence? this is why.

Wrong. It's about race. You know why? Because of how he handled the situation. You don't know the N word or the KKK to have racism seep in. Would this cop shot an unarmed white guy in broad daylight? Probably not.

And to highlight what Val touched on, without the video, the cop would have said he feared for his life, and would have been believed without question.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Wrong. It's about race. You know why? Because of how he handled the situation. You don't know the N word or the KKK to have racism seep in. Would this cop shot an unarmed white guy in broad daylight? Probably not.

And to highlight what Val touched on, without the video, the cop would have said he feared for his life, and would have been believed without question.

and the cop did say he feared for his life in his initial report.

and the cop did say he feared for his life in his initial report.

It's the new tag line for killing young black men. Remember what I said, when cops start preemptive target selection, it's going to get worse.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

It's the new tag line for killing young black men. Remember what I said, when cops start preemptive target selection, it's going to get worse.

yeah, it's definitely going to get worse. now i'm reading a bunch of 'one bad cop is not evidence of a widespread problem' comments mingled with comments about his priors concerning child support.

yeah, it's definitely going to get worse. now i'm reading a bunch of 'one bad cop is not evidence of a widespread problem' comments mingled with comments about his priors concerning child support.

Told you. Got any type of background that's not squeaky clean, you're a target. He had a parking ticket back in 1986, shows a problem with authority.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

It's only about race if people make it about race. The crime here is murder, and there appears to be enough evidence to convict without too much court hoo-hah.

No, Marvin, the question is, why on earth did this officer, who is supposed to uphold the law, shoot a man in cold blood and then try to lie about it. Try to see beyond your own skin color once in a while, there are actually bigger issues at hand here.

The question is, would this cop have done the very thing to a white male under the same circumstances?

I know you don't want to see it, but it's a common known fact that the police handle people of color completely differently. Even those of us without a criminal record...