rewhyc

Please help.. Can I Work? (CR-1 Approved but.. )

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys :-)

I'm starting work on May 4th and I'm not sure if I can work already?

The HR sent me these paperworks to fill in..

To give you guys a background of myself

- CR-1 visa approved, expires on June2015(have to enter before this date)

- Entering USA on April 30

- Starting work on May 4th

- just paid the immigrant fee (April 4th)

- already have SSN(when I had H-1 Visa they issued me one)

It seems like the greencard will be issued once I ENTER US..

Does the HR need my greencard number? Or do I need greencard number to work legally?

If they do.. can I enter Hawaii and still receive before May?

Thank you in advance

Edited by rewhyc

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

They will need your A#, which will be written where they stamp the CR1 at the POE. They are also going to need to see the endorsed visa after POE in your passport as part of the document verification for your I-9.

You can work immediately.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

That's a great news. Thank you guys!

- The A# is the one on my passport right? what's POE?

So I would have to provide greencard to the HR after I receive correct?

I'm unfamiliar with the H-1 visa you had earlier, so you may already have an A# written in your passport, but normally it will be the number written underneath the stamp you will get when you enter America on your CR1 visa for the first time.

POE is port of entry.

It has not been my personal experience that you need to show the "greencard" to HR after receiving it because the stamp in the passport is a greencard (I-551) that is valid for a year. Your conditional greencard (also I-551) is only valid for a year beyond that.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline

To add, legally they need to "reverify" at the date of expiration of the first I-551 in your passport, so you'd need to show them a valid document, i.e. your new I-551 in card form at the one year point.

3/26/18 Biometrics

I'm unfamiliar with the H-1 visa you had earlier, so you may already have an A# written in your passport, but normally it will be the number written underneath the stamp you will get when you enter America on your CR1 visa for the first time.

POE is port of entry.

It has not been my personal experience that you need to show the "greencard" to HR after receiving it because the stamp in the passport is a greencard (I-551) that is valid for a year. Your conditional greencard (also I-551) is only valid for a year beyond that.

When I received my CR-1 visa they have crossed out and made a invalid mark on the H-1 Visa so probably the A# number there wouldn't work.

- That means the HR have to wait until I enter US and receive new A#..?

- Isn't A# written on the CR-1 on the passport? or they reissue the number once I enter US again?

Sorry I'm confused..Maybe I'm mixing up Registration number with A#?

The A# is on the CR1 visa on the passport. When you enter the USA with your visa it will be stamped beside the visa by the CBP. This endorsement turns the CR1 visa into a temporary green card valid for 1 year. At that point of entry to the USA, your visa package will be looked after by the CBP and sent to the USCIS. Once they match up the visa package with your payment and verified it, they will produce your hard copy green card. It normally takes between 1-3 months after POE or fee payment (whichever is later) to get the hard copy green card.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

My mistake, the number written by CBP is the registration number, which is the A#. ^_^

I had even checked it this morning before caffeine and still not realized it was on there. :bonk:

3/26/18 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.