kromero2

Lose birth citizenship through naturalization?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

When my fiancé and I get married, and eventually he starts the naturalization process, will he have to give up his birth citizenship? He also became French through the French naturalization process, would he have to give up either of these citizenships to become American?

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not as far as the US is concerned.

Where was he born.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Probably not. He can keep his French citizenship. If he didn't lose his birth citizenship when he took French citizenship chances are he won't if/when he becomes a US citizen.

When my fiancé and I get married, and eventually he starts the naturalization process, will he have to give up his birth citizenship? He also became French through the French naturalization process, would he have to give up either of these citizenships to become American?

Thanks

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

it depends on the country in which he was born. If he already has dual citizenship, he may forfeit one of them. I don't think you can hold citizenship to three countries at once. It comes down to the laws in the country of his birth. Some countries require you to apply to retain your citizenship if you are going to obtain another nationality.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

it depends on the country in which he was born. If he already has dual citizenship, he may forfeit one of them. I don't think you can hold citizenship to three countries at once. It comes down to the laws in the country of his birth. Some countries require you to apply to retain your citizenship if you are going to obtain another nationality.

The US doesn't have a limit on how many other citizenships may be held by a person. France and other countries may or may not.

My friends has a British, French and Bangladesh passport if I remember correctly. It was either Bangladesh or Italian.

Previous Visa & EAD/AP Timeline

K-1 Visa Timeline

22 March 2014 - Sent I-129F

See timeline for data in between these dates.

24 June 2014 - Interview

25 June 2014 - CEAC Status: Administrative Processing

26 June 2014 - CEAC Status: Issued

01 July 2014 - Received Visa

POE & Marriage

03 July 2014 - POE (BWI airport)

14 July 2014 - Marriage

Advanced Parole (I131)Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
23 July 2014 - Initial Review - Received
31 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
27 September 2014 - EAD Combo Card Received

Employment Authorisation (I765) Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
23 July 2014 - Initial Review - Received
30 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
20 September 2014 - Card in Production Update
22 September 2014 - Card in Production Update Again
25 September 2014 - Card Sent Update (Another update came later that day with USPS tracking code)
27 September 2014 - Card Received

Adjustment of Status (I-148) Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
24 July 2014 - Acceptance - Fingerprint fee accepted and case processed at Nebraska Service Center
30 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
26 August 2014 - Biometrics Done
12 November 2014 - Notification of Potential Interview Waiver (NPIW) Received
26 March 2014 - Cleveland Field Office is requesting my file from NBC.
23 April 2014 - Green Card Ordered!

Avatar Photo by Henry Mühlpfordt / CC-BY

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The U.S. has no limits on the number of citizenship. The U.S. only cares if someone is a US citizen or not. Other citizenships DS not matter to the U.S. Government.

Other countries have different rules. Each with their own rules.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.