SuzieBeyor83

UK Citizen recently married US Citizen in UK, UK Citizen moving to US to be with husband

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys,

My name is Suzie, I live in Scotland and, like the topic title says, I recently got married (Friday 13th March 2015) to my amazing husband Steve who is a US Citizen. We married in the UK under the Marriage Visitor Visa Steve had to obtain before coming over. (Scotland to be specific which I'll share just now doesn't fall under the "you must be in the country 7 days before the Wedding rule, this rule doesn't apply in Scotland), Sadly, Steve has now travelled back home to the States because of his job. His marriage visitor visa is valid until August this year but because he currently has 2 jobs, he had to return to work. I am now in the process of changing my name over on every document I can think of before beginning the visa application process in order for me to move to the USA to be with my new husband. And I can do with some help from you guys to help make this as smooth as possible.

From my understanding, it is the CR-1 Spouse Visa I'd need to apply for, right? I know that there's an I-130 petition form I need to do first, but also that I have to get my name changed over on everything from my passport, driving licence and with my banks before doing this. At this moment in time I'm just wanting to clarify what I need to do after I get my name changed over to my married name.

I also know the time scale to getting the visa and moving over isn't going to be quick. Since planning the Wedding, I've had the idea of the Visa taking 6 months + permanently stuck in my head so I know its not going to be a quick process unfortunately (Steve left for home Monday and understandably I'm missing him like crazy already). So not to worry guys, I'm not going to crumble...too much lol if you tell me its going to be between 6 months to a year before I get to live with Steve permanently.

I've also got a rough idea about the costs for everything. I'm currently working as is Steve (I work in McDonalds and he has 2 jobs - 1 as a head chef of a childrens day care and the other as a sales associate at Sears, plus he's lined up for promotion to a managerial position). He also has his own apartment he's currently renting.

As I'm just starting to get my head around all of this just now, any advice, tips or anything you guys can give me to make sure the visa process goes as smoothly as possible and I can get to live with my new husband as quickly as possible would be very much appreciated.

Hopefully hear from you guys soon

Mrs Suzie Beyor :)post-205509-0-10175900-1427218366_thumb.jpg

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Congratulations!

The instructions for filing for a foreign spouse are in this link: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Your husband has to start the process in the US by filing the I-130. The entire process should take between 10-13 months and there are a ton of people here that have gone through the process in the UK.

Stay the course and take care!

p.s. On a UK passport you can visit your husband stateside under ESTA while your process is underway.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

You already got great advise from fellow member

and i was typically going to comments about how proudly u put on Mrs.

My wife does the same and if she by mistake uses old post sticker says Ms... I tease her :)

congrats of ur marriage ... Wishing you smooth journey of visa

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you so much John for your super quick reply. And thank you also for linking me the step by step guide. I just had a quick glance at it and at least I know I had the right sort of information in my mind before checking that through. It does help ease my mind having that to hand so again, it is very much appreciated thank you. :)

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

As a suggestion I'd recommend you download the forms, print them, read them and ask questions if there is anything you don't understand. This will help you get used to what type of information you'll need to provide and also it'll give you an insight to many acronyms that are used in the process.

When you have time, take a look at the USCIS.gov website where you can find a lot of interesting information, and when in doubt post your questions here. There are several individuals from the UK here who are going or have gone through your very process and they can help you with their testimonials.

You'll come out fine on the other side!

Thank you so much John for your super quick reply. And thank you also for linking me the step by step guide. I just had a quick glance at it and at least I know I had the right sort of information in my mind before checking that through. It does help ease my mind having that to hand so again, it is very much appreciated thank you. :)

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

CR1 route = $1028 + £290

$420 (USCIS) I-130 petition

$325 (National Visa Center) Visa fee

$88 (National Visa Center) Affidavit of Support Review fee

£45 ACPO Police certificate https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

£245 (Knightsbridge Doctors) medical exam http://www.visamedicals.info/us.asp

$30 Courier fee if home delivery, $0 to pick up at a depot

$165.00 (USCIS) Immigrant Fee via the Department of State's website - https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Congratulations! This site is a wealth of information to guide you through your journey.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

4/15/17: I-751 Packet sent to CSC 
4/18/17: CSC Received
5/04/17: Check Cashed
5/05/17: NOA
5/11/17: Biometrics Notice Received
5/26/17: Biometrics Appointment
4/18/18: Still Pending - Extension Stamp in Passport good for 6 months
8/25/18: Received an 18 month extension in the mail
12/20/18: Case Transferred from CA to NBC
5/9/2019: I 751 interview - was scheduled as a combo N400 - they said no N400 technical difficulties 
5/9/2019: Printing new 10 year Green Card
5/10/2019: Case status changed to - Your Case was Approved

N 400 Application / Submitted Online
Application Support Center: Las Vegas, NV
4/19/18: N400 Application Submitted Online - $725 fee paid
4/20/18: Biometrics Notice Received (Online)
5/04/18: Biometrics Completed / Early Walk In - Scheduled appointment was for 5/11/18 ( estimated completion March 2019 10 months)
4/12/19: In Line notification for Testing and Interview - May 30th 
5/01/19: USCIS De Scheduled Interview
5/02/19: Interview Scheduled - June 11th
5/08/19: USCIS De Scheduled Interview
5/09/19: Combo I751 and N400 - Could not conduct the N400 today due to technical difficulties. 
5/10/19: Interview date scheduled - June 28th
6/28/19: N400 Interview
7/26/19: 🇺🇸 Oath Ceremony  🇺🇸

AOS fee has increased to $120.

Here is the governments instructions.... http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/petition.html.

Also, your husband should apply for an ITIN number for you now that way he can file his taxes next year as married filing jointly. That was the one thing I wish I would have done right away.

I have organized everything in a three ring binder with those plastic protector sheets. It really saves time for me...I can keep a couple of extra copies of everything with the originals.

Good luck!!

Edited by Moustafa/Crystal

Hi Suzie, congratulations on the wedding and welcome to VJ! I also had a Scottish wedding with my USC husband, it was the best day ever (he loved wearing a kilt for the day lol)

I don't have any specific advice to give but just want to wish you well on your immigration journey :D

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

Congratulations on your marriage. Me and my wife US citizen began our visa application about 15 months ago now and we still have a couple more months to wait. American government is appallingly slow. Sorry to burst your bubble

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.