Lovetoteach

I just want my life back

51 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
Thank you so much for those who have sent helpful advice and kinds thoughts. I really appreciate it.

I have water now, after my landlord finally fixed the pump.

I am trying to sort out the bills and had already contacted the hospital a while back, who stated they would try and get me help, but on Friday replied that they couldn't. I have been in contact ,when need be, with my congress person and one of the reasons for a delay is that the immigration Court in Detroit took over 4 months to send my I360 back to Vermont. I will be contacting her again this week.

As for the benefits I applied in January 2005.

D. Mermaid : The 1996 Welfare Reform Act states the immigrants cannot get benefits for the first 5 years. I have been to churches and, have been able to get free school meals for my son thankfully.

As for that one obnoxious person dmartmar "go to to hell and join my bills" Is this a case of deja vu where you were mean and nasty to me previously?. Do enlighten me as to your problems you have with me. Other than that, if you can't be a decent human being, then don't post and put people down when they already are.

For your information I 360's do take their time, but my petition has taken longer than most.

How dare you you to tell me I should have stayed with an abuser. My husband refused to go the AOS interview. Don't you ever read things correctly??????????????. He put me in this situation. DIG IT!!!!!!

I have every intention of working and paying my way. I have two Bachelor hons degrees, which includes one in teaching. I do not want to live on benefits and work on the side as you suggested. I just want to be able to work and pay my way like everyone else.

As my post stated, I just needed to vent.

Many many thanks again to all of you who had kind words to say and helpful advice to give.

Shona

Hi Shona-

Good to hear things are looking better. They will continue to improve with time.

Ignore the negativity and posts coming from dmartmar. This person is just bitter over God knows what...You don't need to explain yourself to ANYONE-especially him.

Keep strong. :thumbs:

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignore dmartmar; he's just bitter because his mail-order bride didn't come with a moneyback guarantee.

I second the recommendation for Catholic Charities; they don't care if you're Catholic, and they often have free or sliding-scale legal and financial help. They may be able to get the hospital off your back for the short term, or arrange a deal or payment plan that you can swing.

Hang in there.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not sure what the situation is in your State, but in mine you should not pay anything towards the Hospital Bill, all it does is just allow them longer to take any action.

You might want to consider Bankruptcy, may not be worth it for the current amount but once all the paperwork is sorted out something to consider, it will allow you a clean start.

It will take much much longer to repar your credit if you do not go Bankrupt, just the way the system is.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey Shona,

Sorry that things didnt work out right. But give it some time. We all have hit rock bottom before and soon youll be on your feet again.

Good luck (F)

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Filed: Timeline
As for that one obnoxious person dmartmar "go to to hell and join my bills" Is this a case of deja vu where you were mean and nasty to me previously? Do enlighten me as to your problems you have with me. Other than that, if you can't be a decent human being, then don't post and put people down when they already are.

For your information I-360's do take their time, but my petition has taken longer than most.

As for the benefits, I applied in January 2005.

How dare you you to tell me I should have stayed with an abuser. My husband refused to go the AOS interview. Don't you ever read things correctly??????????????. He put me in this situation. DIG IT!!!!!!

I have every intention of working and paying my way. I have two Bachelor hons degrees, which includes one in teaching. I do not want to live on benefits and work on the side as you suggested. I just want to be able to work and pay my way like everyone else.

1st of all, re-read my post. Where does it read "go to hell and join my bills?" I was being sarcastic towards the person who's advice for you was to "send the bills to hell." Now what kind of advice is that?

2nd of all, it seems as if your husband's only abuse was refusing to attend your AOS interview, which in turn gave you no other option but to pursue a VAWA waiver. I guess that refusing to attend the interview can be construed as "power" and "control" and as such, mental abuse.

3rd of all, you had the option of going back to your home country after the marriage broke down, yet chose to adjust status by yourself instead.

4th of all, in the year and a half you've been waiting for your I-360 to be adjudicated, you've done nothing to try and better you and your son's situation, all the while living off other people, getting things for free and blaming it all on the USCIS.

5th of all, you don't want to live off benefits, yet applied for them in Jan. of '05.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have been umming and arring about mentioning this.

But anyway.

There is good case law that suggests that assuming an I-864 was submitted with the Adjustment of Status it can be enforced to provide Shona with benefit outside of any divorce settlement.

USCIS seem to consider that the Affadavit goes into force when PR status is granted, Courts have taken the view that it is not dependent on PR status.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thank you so much for those who have sent helpful advice and kinds thoughts. I really appreciate it.

I have water now, after my landlord finally fixed the pump.

I am trying to sort out the bills and had already contacted the hospital a while back, who stated they would try and get me help, but on Friday replied that they couldn't. I have been in contact ,when need be, with my congress person and one of the reasons for a delay is that the immigration Court in Detroit took over 4 months to send my I360 back to Vermont. I will be contacting her again this week.

As for the benefits I applied in January 2005.

D. Mermaid : The 1996 Welfare Reform Act states the immigrants cannot get benefits for the first 5 years. I have been to churches and, have been able to get free school meals for my son thankfully.

As for that one obnoxious person dmartmar "go to to hell and join my bills" Is this a case of deja vu where you were mean and nasty to me previously?. Do enlighten me as to your problems you have with me. Other than that, if you can't be a decent human being, then don't post and put people down when they already are.

For your information I 360's do take their time, but my petition has taken longer than most.

As my post stated, I just needed to vent.

Many many thanks again to all of you who had kind words to say and helpful advice to give.

Shona

:thumbs: Good for you Shona, shows that you might be down but you are not out. sorry to hear of all these problems, I cannot give you any advice but I really hope that things get sorted quickly

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I rarely say things like this, but dmarter, you are such a fukcing aszhole....BITTER AS HELL or what??? wow. I disgrace myself by speaking that way to you but you know what? This one time, it was worth it. M.

ETA so sorry for what you're going through, Shona...hope you get it all sorted soon. You've been through WAY too much. (F)

Edited by MichelleandCraig

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Timeline
As for that one obnoxious person dmartmar "go to to hell and join my bills" Is this a case of deja vu where you were mean and nasty to me previously? Do enlighten me as to your problems you have with me. Other than that, if you can't be a decent human being, then don't post and put people down when they already are.

For your information I-360's do take their time, but my petition has taken longer than most.

As for the benefits, I applied in January 2005.

1st of all, re-read my post. Where does it read "go to hell and join my bills?" I was being sarcastic towards the person who's advice for you was to "send the bills to hell." Now what kind of advice is that?

2nd of all, it seems as if your husband's only abuse was refusing to attend your AOS interview, which in turn gave you no other option but to pursue a VAWA waiver. I guess that refusing to attend the interview can be construed as "power" and "control" and as such, mental abuse.

3rd of all, you had the option of going back to your home country after the marriage broke down, yet chose to adjust status by yourself instead.

4th of all, in the year and a half you've been waiting for your I-360 to be adjudicated, you've done nothing to try and better you and your son's situation, all the while living off other people, getting things for free and blaming it all on the USCIS.

5th of all, you don't want to live off benefits, yet applied for them in Jan. of '05.

1.You never said "go to hell and join my bills. I told you to go there with my bills !! due to your nastiness

2.You have no idea what went on in my marriage and the abuse ,that both myself and my children endured. My attorney has 7 pages of it. My reasons for applying went way beyond "my husband not attending the AOS interview" . If you have any idea of VAWA then you would know that this is insufficient.

3. Yes I chose to adjust . That was my choice - for many reasons.

4. Before anyone started to help me I sold all the assets ie house, jeep that I had after the divorce and used that money to live on until it ran out. Do you actually think I like relying on people? Are you an abused immigrant , if not then do tell me how I could have bettered myself-I'm intrigued

5. If one has no income, cannot work and has a child do you really think one has a choice in the matter whether they like it or not?. It's called survival. Do tell me what you would have done in this case since you criticise me so readily. I am not blaming IT ALL on USCIS. Taking 4 months to forward a file is excessive and telling you, you have some benefits when you actually can't justifies some blame. The person whom I actually blame is my ex for the abuse and the situation he has put me in.

6. I am NOT teaching or working. I am qualified to teach. Yes my son is in school.

OK I'm done with you. It's obvious you cannot even start to comprehend what I'm going through. I really don't know what your problem is but go get it sorted before you really hurt someone emotionally. You don't want to end up becoming an abuser yourself.

Filing I 360 3rd Nov 2005

Prima facie determination received from Vermont 20th Nov 2005

DIVORCED JANUARY 25th 2006

EAD applied for again (jeez I need to work ) 28th Feb 2006

Removal hearing July 12th 2006

RFE's received for I360 and EAD 13th October 2006

NOID received March 2007

EAD denied March 2007

Back to Immigration Court April 18th 2007

NOID request for evidence received USCIS 3rd May 2007

I 360 touched May 31st 2007

I 360 actually approved May 30th 2007

EAD filed June 23rd 2007

I 485 filed July 24th 2007

NOA1 for I 485 August 1st 2007

EAD approved August 6th 2007

Medical with CS August 28th 2007

Biometrics August 24th 2007

Paperwork sent to Immigration Judge to finally terminate removal proceedings September 10th 2007

GREEN CARD FINALLY APPROVED AFTER 4 YEARS September 9th 2008 :D

N-400 Filed online 03/04/2018

NOA online 03/05/2018- projected Citizenship completion date December 2018

Timeline
Shona, keeping you in my prayers and I hope things start to get easier for you.

Thank you Lisa

Filing I 360 3rd Nov 2005

Prima facie determination received from Vermont 20th Nov 2005

DIVORCED JANUARY 25th 2006

EAD applied for again (jeez I need to work ) 28th Feb 2006

Removal hearing July 12th 2006

RFE's received for I360 and EAD 13th October 2006

NOID received March 2007

EAD denied March 2007

Back to Immigration Court April 18th 2007

NOID request for evidence received USCIS 3rd May 2007

I 360 touched May 31st 2007

I 360 actually approved May 30th 2007

EAD filed June 23rd 2007

I 485 filed July 24th 2007

NOA1 for I 485 August 1st 2007

EAD approved August 6th 2007

Medical with CS August 28th 2007

Biometrics August 24th 2007

Paperwork sent to Immigration Judge to finally terminate removal proceedings September 10th 2007

GREEN CARD FINALLY APPROVED AFTER 4 YEARS September 9th 2008 :D

N-400 Filed online 03/04/2018

NOA online 03/05/2018- projected Citizenship completion date December 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hey Shona, ignore that "dmartar" person. He's been on a different site www.ilw.com, posting insults too instead of giving advice. I can't believe he is also on this site. dmartar whoever you are, I've seen your comments on the other immigration site. You can't come here and do the same to VJ members. In case you don't realize it, we VJers are compassionate, and respectful of others and their situations. If you're not ready to give advice, then you shouldn't be allowed to post anything.

Good luck, Shona. I hope things get better. :)

Edited by SC & TF

N-400 Naturalization

03/22/10...N-400 mailed to Phoenix,AZ Lockbox

04/06/10...Check cashed. NOA1

05/07/10...Biometrics appointment

06/23/10...Interview appointment - PASSED!

08/19/10...Oath ceremony - Officially a US citizen!!!

08/24/10...Updated SSN records

08/31/10...Applied for US Passport and Card

09/15/10...Received US Passport and Card

I -751 Removal of conditions

04/04/09...I-751 sent to California service center

04/12/09...NOA1. permanent residence extended for one year.

06/10/09...Biometrics appointment done

06/21/09...2 yr GC expired

07/09/09...Approval letter received in the mail!!! GC approved 07/06/09

07/20/09...10 yr GC arrived in the mail.

AOS/EAD timeline: F1 to AOS (married to USC)

11/14/06.....I-130/I-485/I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox (Day1)

11/21/06......Checks cashed, NOA1 for I-130/I-1485/EAD arrives in mail (Day 8)

12/12/06.... Biometrics done (Day 29)

01/20/07...Interview notice received dated Jan. 12, Yay!! (Day 68)

01/30/07....EAD touched, finally!(Day 78)

02/01/07....I-485, I-130 touched. EAD card production ordered (Day 80)

02/07/07....EAD card received in mail (Day 86)

02/26/07...Interview - name check pending (Day 105)

06/21/07.... Card production ordered email...omigosh! (Day 220)

06/24/07.....Email: Notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident on 6/22

06/30/07.....Welcome notice received in snail mail

07/02/07....Email: Approval notice sent. GC received in mail!!! (232 days from filing)

I'm sure she has her reasons for staying. Luckily she is a great person (and educated) and once her application is approved, she will be finacially able to get all the that she and her children deserve.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.