jklein

% Chance Of Getting 6 Months Upon Entry

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife's father is coming to visit the U.S. and we will be attending a baby shower and multiple weddings over the course of 6 months. He already has a tourist visa, but we wanted to know the chance of him getting granted six months at entry. My concern is that he only gets granted a month or two and is forced to miss some events. I am hoping he can get 6 months granted and just wanted to get an idea of how likely it is. I know he could come back but its an extreme hassle as tickets are not cheap.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought baby showers are female only events?

No idea about the odds.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Has he visited before?If so, how recently and for how long?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I thought baby showers are female only events?

No idea about the odds.

Lol, yea. Actually weddings are the more important pieces here and they are stretched over 6 months. Also baby shower is early, but the child will be born in 6 month period. I forgot to mention this considering its important piece of it.

Has he visited before?If so, how recently and for how long?

He visited last year for about a month and a half. Back then he got six months.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Tax issues and obviously medical cover come to mind.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Considering he used the visa before, and for a reasonable time, got given 6 months then, and did not abuse it,I think the chances of getting 6 months this time are reasonably good, but no=-one can tell you for sure until the stamp is in his passport.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No one can say for sure but if he has already visited and left without issue then that is certainly in his favour.

What will he do for medical insurance for 6 months?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Visited Canada hundreds of time, my company had divisions up there. Until George W. Bush decided with an executive decision to require passports or passcards. Like terrorists would only come here via airlines not considering 3,500 miles of unprotected border. Going to Canada was easy, coming back is pure hell.

Don't know anything about crossing the border in a vehicle, I know Thunder Bay is very lax, people crossing there all the time depending on which country the price of gas is cheaper.

Rest depends on what side of bed the POE officer got up from. Wife to be had a tourist visa, if she asked for an extended stay, would give her an I-94 on the return date of her ticket. If she didn't, would give her six months, but never could use that.

This is another problem, a round trip ticket can be less than a one way ticket, and a round trip ticket has to have a return date. Can also cost a small fortune to have that changed. So not sure how your father is going to work around this.

Obama can reverse this decision, but don't feel he will, if just one terrorist crosses the border with the airlines, would be the end of him.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Watched a program on the History Channel on the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Showed literally millions of dollars worth of IR equipment watching every bit of that river with an entire staff working 24/7 plus all kinds of watercraft.

Nothing about a terrorist crossing, their prime job, but secondary was catching smugglers with marijuana and alcohol. Spent the whole hour chasing a young women suspected of smuggling, but if she managed to cross the border back in the Canada, would be home free. They had a staff tracking her for over two weeks and was just a suspect at the time. And aren't they getting any cooperation from the Canadian police? Canada has police, don't they?

A young woman in my home town was arrested for selling marijuana, she was just put on probation, this operation had to cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars to catch that woman in Detroit.

I was shocked at my last visit to Toronto, added another million square feet for security, we had to wait hours to get our luggage, hauled it four blocks and have it inspected again! Seemed awfully strange living close to a country we had open borders with ever since the beginning of time with Canada. And if it wasn't for a poor secretary of state we had after the War of 1812, Canada would have been part of the US.

And this border crossing was not done by our congress, just an executive order from Bush that got away with murder for breaking over 693 laws of our constitution. Sure making life miserable for us common people.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.