23Cricket

Expired GC, filed N400, travel question

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I think I might have screwed up, just not sure yet how big....

Green card expired mid-December, N-400 application was received December 29th, finger prints late January.

The screw up is that I need to make some travel plan for this summer, and I don't know how long the NBC office is going to take, or if there will be delays. Am I stuck in a holding pattern until Interview & Oath (assuming it all goes well)?

You will need to either file an I-90 to replace your expired green card, or wait until your naturalisation application is approved to then be able to obtain a US passport.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Make an Infopass appointment, take your N-400 application receipt notice and ask for a I-551 stamp on your unexpired passport. this is enough for entry back to US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think I might have screwed up, just not sure yet how big....

Green card expired mid-December, N-400 application was received December 29th, finger prints late January.

The screw up is that I need to make some travel plan for this summer, and I don't know how long the NBC office is going to take, or if there will be delays. Am I stuck in a holding pattern until Interview & Oath (assuming it all goes well)?

Make an Infopass appointment, take your N-400 application receipt notice and ask for a I-551 stamp on your unexpired passport. this is enough for entry back to US.

A few things to watch out for:

- Trying to get an I-551 stamp is a good idea, but USCIS might insist that you file and pay for a green card replacement... hopefully they won't and I've read about several cases where they haven't, but they can insist because there's nothing in the rules that says that you are entitled to a new stamp if you file an N400... they just do it as a courtesy so hopefully this will apply to you.

- Be careful traveling with an I-551 stamp... it's perfectly legal, but some airlines aren't familiar with it and may want to see a green card or a visa. Give your self extra time at airports just in case you have to argue with a ticket agent... again, in most cases this is not a problem.

- Make sure you don't miss your interview or oath when you're traveling. Rescheduling is a pain, please consider adjusting your travel plans around the naturalization process.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

I had an 8am InfoPass appointment, and I was in and out and back on the road before 7:58am.

The USCIS office I spoke with this morning, said not to worry. If my N-400 is still in progress when I plan to be travelling, early July for me, to come back in 3-5 days before travelling, and they'll stamp my passport with an I-551.

Timeline

I had an 8am InfoPass appointment, and I was in and out and back on the road before 7:58am.

The USCIS office I spoke with this morning, said not to worry. If my N-400 is still in progress when I plan to be travelling, early July for me, to come back in 3-5 days before travelling, and they'll stamp my passport with an I-551.

Good info. Thanks for updating.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I had a similar situation:

My green card that is about to expire (04/09/15), I live in Kansas CIty Missouri and my driver's license will also expire on 04/09/15, I've found out that they will not renew it without a valid green card, so I made an infopass appointment a motnh ago (at the time I didn't know when my interview for citizenship would be) and the I.O. told me that I needed to come back closer to the expiration date and he stated that maybe my interview would happen before 04/09, so couple weeks ago I found out that my interview is scheduled for 04/21, so I made another appointment with infopass for today and the lady that helped me said they don't like to give the I-551 when the GC is still valid but since is just about to expire she stamped my passport and gave me a "YEAR" :D but she had to cut my GC (only cut small pieces of the edges) and that I need to have my passport with me at all times which I said no problem.

One more thing, she was having a hard time getting the stamp to look right so it is quite hard to tell the date, she said if the DMV has a hard time seeing the date and won't renew my DL, she told me to come back with 2 passport like photos and she would make me a temporary ID!!! I was surprised by that as I thought they would only stamp a valid passport, so as you all can imagine I feel relieved that I won't have an issue getting my DL renewed,

Before all this I've researched a lot and read a lot of mixed answers, so I was stressing out a lot so hopefully with sharing my experience and can help someone in the similar situation! :)

An expired GC is not the same thing as an expired visa or conditional residency, whereupon the bearer ceases to be in lawful status past the expiration date. A GC holder continues being a permanent resident even after the 10-yr expiration. Either renew it well before expiration, or better still, apply to be a citizen.

Travelling with a stamp risks issues or hassles or delays at immigration counters and\or airlines.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Timeline

Is there a risk that some airline agent won't understand the stamp? Yes.

Do people travel with stamps all the time? Yes.

It's better to avoid travel on an expired GC, but it's not uncommon. My advice is to give yourself lots of time at airports in case you need to explain things.

Speaking from my own experiences, unless you're traveling on Air Koryo, you will not have issues with the ADIT stamp. When I traveled on my ADIT from MNL to LAX, there were no issues or delays departing MNL. The delay actually occurred at LAX when I was sent to secondary, presumably look closer at the stamp etc.

I then traveled to SCL and had no issues on the outbound. Again, at MIA, I was sent to secondary, then released.

Edited by Tom_Jim

100% Naturalized U.S.D.A. Prime American

proud_filipino_american_trucker_hat.jpg?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.