s-luvs-k

All Japan Filers

1,867 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
12 hours ago, kikume said:

Hi again guys, have more questions. I was born in Hong Kong but my passport lists me as Japanese - however I got my visa today and under nationality, they printed "Hong Kong" instead of "Japanese".

1. Is this a mistake? I read online that info on the visa has to match the info on the biographic page on my passport.
  2. Does anyone know what the turnaround time for mistakes are? Can I go to the embassy directly and ask them to correct it on the spot?

1) as far as I know it should have the nationality you are using the passport of. 

2) they don’t correct them on the spot. And you would need an appointment. Contact them. They will most likely ask you to send it to them. It depends how long it takes on their level of business. (I’ve seen it take about 10 days to reseal the package once so I’d guess around 1-2 weeks)

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I just got my case number and they assigned it to the Tokyo Embassy. However, my Fiancé lives in Okinawa and they have a US Consulate there in Naha. I called NVC to see if they can change it to Naha and they were telling me only Tokyo Embassy does the Immigrant Visa interviews in Japan. I'm on Japan Embassy/Consulate website and it says US Consulate in Naha DOES immigrant visa interviews as well. Anyone experienced this? and what should I do?

• 1 month later...
Timeline
@Naes - could you check this out - THANKS!? I tried to put the post NOA2 steps for us Tokyo filers in one place... input / corrections appreciated.  I'm also happy to make a google document that shows each detailed step as I go through the process from I-129 to K1 visa to Greencard and make you the editor if you want (seems like info is all over the place):

NOA2 Next Steps....

Phase 1 (Pre-NVC - things to prep ahead of time):
  • Obtain Police Record
    • They will provide if you show NOA1 or NOA2 (fiance did it with NOA1 so I've confirmed this works)
    • Don't open... will need to submit sealed (copy is already translated)
  • Obtain Birth Certificate (Koseki Shohon 戸籍抄本).
    • Use this template to translate [Need to Find] Question: Anyone have this handy?
  • Have any Japanese person review, sign and write: ""
  • Complete I-134 Affidavit of Support
    • IRS Transcripts for last 3 years https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
    • Letter of Employment from Job
    • Question: Is it true we can skip questions around listing assets / getting bank letters / etc. if salary 125% over poverty level?
Phase 2 (Once NVC Received):
  • Contact NVC via https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/ask-nvc.html to update your email address as well as your beneficiary's email address. This will give you an email alert when your file arrives at NVC, your case is assigned and when the file leaves for your Embassy.
  • Call 1-603-334-0700 or 603-334-0888 to get embassy case number early or WAIT for it to complete next steps..
    • Question: Can I schedule the medical exam and start the DS160 once I have this case number or do I need to wait for / have the physical NVC form/package in my possession?
  • Schedule Medical Examination (bring Immunization pamphlet)
    • Options: https://jp.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/medical-facilities
  • Complete DS160 @ http://www.ustraveldocs.com/jp/jp-niv-ds160complete.asap
    • Pick Tokyo as processing post.
    • Create profile @ http://www.ustraveldocs.com/jp/index.html
  • Pay application fee: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/jp/jp-niv-paymentinfol.asp
  • Submit package via letterpack 360/510 that contains:
    • Sealed Police Report
    • Original Birth Certificate + Signed Translation + Copy of Birth Certificate
    • Two passport pictures
    • DS160 Confirmation Page
    • Copy of Japan Passport Bio Page + Any US Visa Pages
  • Schedule Interview: https://japan2.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-ivapptrequest.html OR http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/jp/jp-niv-appointschedule.asp
  • Complete Medical Evaluation
    • Your visa interview appointment letter,
    • Your passport,
    • Four (4) recently taken passport-sized color photographs (2in x 2in)
    • A copy of your immunization records
    • Should get sealed letter.  Don't open!
  • Trick: Once medical check done mention to embassy that you already have everything ready (medical check, police report, etc.) and ask for earlier date and they usually oblige.

Phase 3 (Interview Preparation):

• Bring the following documents:
  • Copy of submitted I-129 Package
  • I-134 Affidavit of Support
  • Evidence of ongoing relationship
  • 2 in x 2 in (50 mm x 50 mm) passport photo - white background / no border (print name on back)
  • Sealed Medical Envelope
Phase 4 (Post Interview):
  • Not sure yet..

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
14 hours ago, nekojita said:
@Naes - could you check this out - THANKS!? I tried to put the post NOA2 steps for us Tokyo filers in one place... input / corrections appreciated.  I'm also happy to make a google document that shows each detailed step as I go through the process from I-129 to K1 visa to Greencard and make you the editor if you want (seems like info is all over the place):

NOA2 Next Steps....

Phase 1 (Pre-NVC - things to prep ahead of time):
  • Obtain Police Record
    • They will provide if you show NOA1 or NOA2 (fiance did it with NOA1 so I've confirmed this works) yep it works... Japanese police is really not competent to understand the difference... they ask you where it says what... 
    • Don't open... will need to submit sealed (copy is already translated)
  • Obtain Birth Certificate (Koseki Shohon 戸籍抄本).
    • Use this template to translate [Need to Find] Question: Anyone have this handy?  There are a lot over the internet. Sorry I am not Japanese so I didn't need one.
  • Have any Japanese person review, sign and write: I don't know why it has to be Japanese... I did my translations from Japanese to English. It just has to be a person who is fluent in both languages. not someone who reviews it. 
  • "I     typed name    , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and                      
    languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the 
    document attached entitled                       .

Signature                                                        
    Date                                          Typed Name
                                                      Address"
  • Complete I-134 Affidavit of Support
    • IRS Transcripts for last 3 years https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
    • Letter of Employment from Job
    • Question: Is it true we can skip questions around listing assets / getting bank letters / etc. if salary 125% over poverty level?  
    • Answer: Yes, you can skip assets etc. - I would have payment stubs for 3 to 6 months back included too.
Phase 2 (Once NVC Received):
  • Contact NVC via https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/ask-nvc.html to update your email address as well as your beneficiary's email address. This will give you an email alert when your file arrives at NVC, your case is assigned and when the file leaves for your Embassy. Not really necessary unless your email on petition was wrong. Doesn't matter who they send the email as you can just forward it. But also wouldn't hurt to do it. 
  • Call 1-603-334-0700 or 603-334-0888 to get embassy case number early or WAIT for it to complete next steps.. Unnecessary if you will update your email. cause they will send you emails. 
    • Question: Can I schedule the medical exam and start the DS160 once I have this case number or do I need to wait for / have the physical NVC form/package in my possession?
    • Answer: You can schedule the medical as soon as you have the nvc number. You will need the email attachment they will sent to petitioner (NVC letter) to go to the medical. they send this when your case goes into transit. The case doesn't have to be in embassy for medical to take place. however it can take about 10 days depending on the nvc backlog to get the email after they receive the case. 
    • You can start DS-160 anytime you want. It does not ask about NVC case number nor submitting it causes anything. unless you get interview appointment ds-160 means nothing.
  • Schedule Medical Examination (bring Immunization pamphlet) I don't even know what immunization pamphlet is??
    • Options: https://jp.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/medical-facilities
  • Complete DS160 @ http://www.ustraveldocs.com/jp/jp-niv-ds160complete.asap
  • Pay application fee: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/jp/jp-niv-paymentinfol.asp pay when you are scheduling interview, you don't have to do it early
  • Submit package via letterpack 360/510 that contains: wait until they send you the packet. they have others things to add that will come in the packet.
    • Sealed Police Report  Not to be sent unless asked. Never heard them asking for it through mail
    • Original Birth Certificate + Signed Translation + Copy of Birth Certificate
    • Two passport pictures
    • DS160 Confirmation Page
    • Copy of Japan Passport Bio Page + Any US Visa Pages
  • Schedule Interview: https://japan2.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-ivapptrequest.html (NO, you are not an immigration visa applicant)OR http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/jp/jp-niv-appointschedule.asp  be careful when choosing country there are two different groups.
  • you will basically apply here after creating an account: https://cgifederal.secure.force.com  if you're not sure wait for the documents.
  • Complete Medical Evaluation
    • Your visa interview appointment letter,  NVC letter or the letter that will come from embassy. You don't have to have your interview appointment letter to go to medical.
    • Your passport,
    • Four (4) recently taken passport-sized color photographs (2in x 2in) Not 2inx2in. This will be Japanese size. 3cmx4cm. background color doesn't matter.
    • A copy of your immunization records - they will give you a copy of your own for everything. just keep that. you will need it for AOS.
    • Should get sealed letter.  Don't open!  Sealed Envelope. They will tell you which envelope not to open.
  • Trick: Once medical check done mention to embassy that you already have everything ready (medical check, police report, etc.) and ask for earlier date and they usually oblige.
  • Not really, it depends if they have openings. If they have they would help. But you need to have the package from them and send it back first.

Phase 3 (Interview Preparation):

• Bring the following documents:
  • Copy of submitted I-129 Package - not needed
  • I-134 Affidavit of Support & evidences
  • Evidence of ongoing relationship
  • 2 in x 2 in (50 mm x 50 mm) passport photo - white background / no border (print name on back)
  • Sealed Medical Envelope - don't forget the CD.
  • Police Certification
  • Passport
  • Interview confirmation page
  • DS-160 confirmation page copy (yep just in case even if you send it)
Phase 4 (Post Interview):
  • Not sure yet.. Nothing. you just wait for them to send your passport back if approved, or if needed you will be sending them documents.

Hi sorry I wasn't around much due to a loss in family. - I wrote in the lines.

Hi everyone! Just found out we’re assigned to Tokyo by NVC when we received our case number last week. I have a question: do we have to translate every document that’s in Japanese if the interview is being conducted in Tokyo? 

Thanks in advance! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
On 11/5/2018 at 2:25 AM, GingerDino said:

Hi everyone! Just found out we’re assigned to Tokyo by NVC when we received our case number last week. I have a question: do we have to translate every document that’s in Japanese if the interview is being conducted in Tokyo? 

Thanks in advance! 

From what I understand (and I think it's because I read this somewhere here and/or on the USCIS websites) all foreign language documents used as evidence must be fully translated into English and the translator must certify, sign, and date each translated document.
I don't think it will matter where in the world you are, everything has to be in English for the US staff.  

I'm also filing for my wife here in Japan.
All of the required documents in Japanese were translated by me.  Tedious, to say the least, but we've been successful thus far.

Edited by ItchyKneeSon

8 hours ago, ItchyKneeSon said:

From what I understand (and I think it's because I read this somewhere here and/or on the USCIS websites) all foreign language documents used as evidence must be fully translated into English and the translator must certify, sign, and date each translated document.
I don't think it will matter where in the world you are, everything has to be in English for the US staff.  

I'm also filing for my wife here in Japan.
All of the required documents in Japanese were translated by me.  Tedious, to say the least, but we've been successful thus far.

Thanks for answering! I found the same rule on Tokyo Embassy’s website. Guess we’re going to have a field trip with translating all of our proofs of relationship! Koseki being the easiest...

Timeline
On 11/11/2018 at 2:13 AM, GingerDino said:

Thanks for answering! I found the same rule on Tokyo Embassy’s website. Guess we’re going to have a field trip with translating all of our proofs of relationship! Koseki being the easiest...

No problem.
Yeah, it's tedious to say the least.
With my successful petition (i-130, IR-1), I sent translations of the following documents:
juri shoumeisho/Cert. of Acceptance of Marriage,
zenbu jikou shoumei/Family Registry Cert.(serving as a birth cert. for my wife),
Notification of Change of Family Registry for me and another for my wife,
both of our Japan driver licenses [showing our current shared residence](I made a template for translation available to the public on Google Docs] ,
2014 Municipal and Prefectural Tax Dues Notice for me and for my wife [showing shared residence from soon after our marriage],
and a card we used to announce our marriage to friends here in Japan because we didn't have a 'traditional' wedding.  All translated by me and certified, signed, and dated at the bottom of each translation.

I'm currently working on putting together the financial and supporting documentation (steps 4 and 5 of the travel.state.gov Immigrant Visa Process).

Feel free to PM me for help or links.
Other than that, attack that beast and stick with it!

On 11/12/2018 at 2:46 PM, ItchyKneeSon said:

No problem.
Yeah, it's tedious to say the least.
With my successful petition (i-130, IR-1), I sent translations of the following documents:
juri shoumeisho/Cert. of Acceptance of Marriage,
zenbu jikou shoumei/Family Registry Cert.(serving as a birth cert. for my wife),
Notification of Change of Family Registry for me and another for my wife,
both of our Japan driver licenses [showing our current shared residence](I made a template for translation available to the public on Google Docs] ,
2014 Municipal and Prefectural Tax Dues Notice for me and for my wife [showing shared residence from soon after our marriage],
and a card we used to announce our marriage to friends here in Japan because we didn't have a 'traditional' wedding.  All translated by me and certified, signed, and dated at the bottom of each translation.

I'm currently working on putting together the financial and supporting documentation (steps 4 and 5 of the travel.state.gov Immigrant Visa Process).

Feel free to PM me for help or links.
Other than that, attack that beast and stick with it!

Thanks! Unfortunately my SO and I are both foreign nationals in Japan, our list of documents is going to be very different and complicated. We’re currently preparing for AOS and IV packages as well. Do you know when we will be able to schedule for medical by any chance?

Timeline
On 11/4/2018 at 7:25 AM, GingerDino said:

Thanks in advance! 

I thought you only need translations for the embassy stage if it’s in another language besides the native one where the embassy is located?  For example, if you’re going to the usembassy in Japan you don’t need to translate Japanese documents.

13 hours ago, LanKei said:

I thought you only need translations for the embassy stage if it’s in another language besides the native one where the embassy is located?  For example, if you’re going to the usembassy in Japan you don’t need to translate Japanese documents.

It looks like that’s the old rule. The current administration changed a lot of things after all.

If you go to Tokyo Embassy’s website, it states all foreign languages must be translated.

Timeline
On 11/15/2018 at 2:43 AM, GingerDino said:

Thanks! Unfortunately my SO and I are both foreign nationals in Japan, our list of documents is going to be very different and complicated. We’re currently preparing for AOS and IV packages as well. Do you know when we will be able to schedule for medical by any chance?

I believe they'll give you some kind of confirmation number and let you know that you can go get the medical check after they've gone through and approved your financials (AOS, IV). 
This is the link where that information is available. [Links are cool.They are very cool.]

On 11/18/2018 at 10:58 AM, LanKei said:

I was hoping you were right.
Life would be much easier if translations weren't necessary.
But, give another look at Page 3 of the i-864 instructions.
I'm planning on going to Japan Post Bank this afternoon to get an English statement of the funds available in my and my wife's accounts.
(Because the JP ATM Balance Inquiry Receipt doesn't show the owner's name OR the full account number.  Which is required for any claimed assets on the i-864.  Based on the i-864 instructions, page 9, under Part 7.  "The owner of the asset must include a description of the asset, proof of ownership, and the basis for the owner's claim of its net cash value.")

My wife found this link to a blog specifying what the document is and the price (510 yen).
Scroll down about 60% of the page for a picture of said document.

The English title of the document is Certification of the Balance of  Deposit.

I hope this proves helpful to our case and others!

14 hours ago, GingerDino said:

It looks like that’s the old rule. The current administration changed a lot of things after all.

If you go to Tokyo Embassy’s website, it states all foreign languages must be translated.

Yes, and in the i-864 instructions on page 3.
Bummertimeforreal.

In other news, I'm hoping to have this all wrapped up and ready to ship out by this evening.
Ready to be done with all this jazz.

Timeline
On 11/21/2018 at 1:53 PM, azuki said:

Hi everyone! I finally got the NOA2 for my fiancé and I. So excited. 

I guess ill I’ll need to start helping him gather the required paperwork. We are hoping to leave Japan together early Feb, do you think this is a realistic goal?

If you can throw all of your documents for the IV and AOS packets together really quick (assuming you've paid the necessary fees on the CEAC website), maybe.
It's taken me quite some time, though.  Partially because I'm a perfectionist.  Things that take time before being able to send your IV/AOS packets out are getting your IRS Tax transcripts for the last year (or 3) [that is, if you don't have your Tax Return docs (1040s and accompanying W-2s and 1099s)] and getting the Police Certificate from the Municipal/Prefectural Police HQ [don't need to file it with the IV/AOS packets, just bring it *sealed* to the interview]. 

If you don't have your IRS Tax Transcripts and will be using them, go order them ASAP on the website shown on the Step 4 page here.  They're free, so even if you don't need them, just order them in case.  Mine showed up and had my earnings as $0 because my (past) income in Japan is exempt.  Which isn't terrible, per se, but we're trying to prove that there's a high likelihood that we won't become impoverished once moving to the US.  And the money we make here doesn't count as income (current and on-going) because it will cease once we leave the country and, therefore, can't be counted toward our assets; only your liquid assets and money in the bank are calculated as 'assets'.  A lot of it depends on your specific circumstances, though.

I've got the IV and AOS packets sitting on the table in front of me ready to send out and if we can be in the US in February, I'd be ecstatic.
With that said, get the ball rolling and I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.