s-luvs-k

All Japan Filers

1,867 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello everyone, me again!

Someone on VJ suggested me to ask this question here just be safe.

My fiancé was a student when we filed for I-129F (K1 visa) on Oct. 2017. He is now a business owner, but it seems not really able to prove that he has his income which will be more than the poverty line. We initially had a family member to be a co sponsor, but the person dropped out at the last minute (last month). Now I am going to have an interview with the embassy, Tokyo next month, and I would like to know if anyone had an issue with a fiancé's friend being a co sponsor. My fiancé and his friend know each other for a while. The same person who suggested me to ask this question here also mentioned to bring a proof of their friendship to my interview so I am going to prepare and bring that proof of friendship.

I would really appreciate if anyone let me know what they think! Thank you for reading this post:)

I am the beneficiary and my fiancé and his friend are US citizens.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

If your fiance's friend meets the requirements stated in the following link, he is eligible. 

https://www.***removed***/affidavit-of-support/joint-sponsor.html

Although it is stated "A joint sponsor does not need to be a relative of the primary sponsor or of the intending immigrant. ", from my experience, it would be better to find a joint sponsor that you both know well.  I had an F2A interview in Feb and our joint sponsor had high income, but I don't know her in person.  When CO asked whether I know her, I just answered I don't know her in person, but my husband does. But CO didn't accept her as our joint sponsor and requested to submit documents of a new sponsor.  So this time, we asked his friend and his wife to be the new joint sponsors. Don't forget to write a statement letter or bring evidence of your friendship (e.g. photos) to the interview. Because they asked for a statement of our friendship again via email.  My case is still under AP... Good luck for your interview. 

Timeline
On 6/1/2018 at 2:14 PM, Gloriazlh said:

If your fiance's friend meets the requirements stated in the following link, he is eligible. 

https://www.***removed***/affidavit-of-support/joint-sponsor.html

Although it is stated "A joint sponsor does not need to be a relative of the primary sponsor or of the intending immigrant. ", from my experience, it would be better to find a joint sponsor that you both know well.  I had an F2A interview in Feb and our joint sponsor had high income, but I don't know her in person.  When CO asked whether I know her, I just answered I don't know her in person, but my husband does. But CO didn't accept her as our joint sponsor and requested to submit documents of a new sponsor.  So this time, we asked his friend and his wife to be the new joint sponsors. Don't forget to write a statement letter or bring evidence of your friendship (e.g. photos) to the interview. Because they asked for a statement of our friendship again via email.  My case is still under AP... Good luck for your interview. 

oh no..... I know my fiancé's friend, but I don't think I have any pictures of three of us together.. 

But thank you so much for your reply! I will try to see if we have any pic together, or think another way to prove our friendship as well as a statement letter:) Thank you so much!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
5 hours ago, ypsirccim said:

How long did it take you guys to get the visa after the interview?

@Naes

Interview on Monday, Visa on Hand on Thursday.

But it does differ from case to case and depending on the embassy schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

@Naes We had pretty much the same experience, only a few days turnaround to return the passport. 

Now we are all in the US and ready to roll! 

Quick question, following the wedding and adjustment of status, there is no allowed travel outside of the US for about 6 months correct? 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
5 hours ago, ypsirccim said:

@Naes We had pretty much the same experience, only a few days turnaround to return the passport. 

Now we are all in the US and ready to roll! 

Quick question, following the wedding and adjustment of status, there is no allowed travel outside of the US for about 6 months correct? 

Congrats!

It’s till you get AP(advanced parole- which you can apply with your AOS) I believe right now it gets about between 3 to 5 months but changes continuously.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi guys. I've been in administrative processing for about a month now for a K-1 visa and have some questions. (I think AP is being caused by my Master's Degree being flagged on the Technology Alert List.)

1. The US embassy in Tokyo kept my passport at the time, do you think they would give it back to me and continue AP even without it?
  2. If they could do #1, would it affect my AP timeline by any chance?

I've read on some forums that doing #1 results in the embassy cancelling your visa application, or taking back your passport results in further AP when they get your passport back. Mixed messages. Do share if you have any info...

Timeline
6 minutes ago, kikume said:

Hi guys. I've been in administrative processing for about a month now for a K-1 visa and have some questions. (I think AP is being caused by my Master's Degree being flagged on the Technology Alert List.)

1. The US embassy in Tokyo kept my passport at the time, do you think they would give it back to me and continue AP even without it?
  2. If they could do #1, would it affect my AP timeline by any chance?

I've read on some forums that doing #1 results in the embassy cancelling your visa application, or taking back your passport results in further AP when they get your passport back. Mixed messages. Do share if you have any info...

The application will not be cancelled. They will continue AP without it. I also got back my passport after the interview and sent it back after my travel. But I think it may delay the process. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Gloriazlh said:

The application will not be cancelled. They will continue AP without it. I also got back my passport after the interview and sent it back after my travel. But I think it may delay the process. 

Thanks for the info. I see you were stuck in it for 5 months! Do you have any idea why?

I am from Hong Kong originally (although am a Japanese citizen), and am hoping to go back and wait out the AP process there rather than crashing on people's couches here until it's done. I thought we were an open and shut case so I'd already gotten ready to leave Japan by the time the interview rolled by. My massively stupid mistake!

Edited by kikume

Timeline
Just now, kikume said:

Thanks for the info. I see you were stuck in it for 5 months! Do you have any idea why?

I am from Hong Kong originally, and am hoping to go back and wait out the AP process there rather than crashing on people's couches here until it's done. I thought we were an open and shut case so I'd already gotten ready to leave Japan by the time the interview rolled by. My massively stupid mistake!

Yes, at the interview, they requested for new joint sponsor. I had to go back to China for 3 weeks and during my leave, they also asked for additional documents about scanned travel records (stamps on passport) and updated CV (I'm also in the Tech Alert list). After 1 month, they again requested statement about our relationship with joint sponsor...and then last month they asked us to take new medical exam... It's like they request additional documents each month.  I have read in other thread that some people moved their case to another embassy when they change their location. So, maybe you can also ask them to transfer it to US embassy in HK? Good luck. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Gloriazlh said:

Yes, at the interview, they requested for new joint sponsor. I had to go back to China for 3 weeks and during my leave, they also asked for additional documents about scanned travel records (stamps on passport) and updated CV (I'm also in the Tech Alert list). After 1 month, they again requested statement about our relationship with joint sponsor...and then last month they asked us to take new medical exam... It's like they request additional documents each month.  I have read in other thread that some people moved their case to another embassy when they change their location. So, maybe you can also ask them to transfer it to US embassy in HK? Good luck. 

Congrats on finally getting your visa today then! They kept asking for additional documents from me, but luckily for me it was requested every few days as opposed to every month.

Timeline
36 minutes ago, kikume said:

Congrats on finally getting your visa today then! They kept asking for additional documents from me, but luckily for me it was requested every few days as opposed to every month.

Thank you.  Hope you will get your visa soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello, I anticipate being approved and receiving NOA-2 sometime in the coming weeks and would like to headstart in acquiring required documents.

I've heard people mention "packet 3" . What is that? Is there a packet 1 and packet 2? What are they? I feel like I missed out on that whole part of the process. 

Anyways if someone happens to have a copy of this letter they get from the embassy recently,

Hello, I anticipate being approved and receiving NOA-2 sometime in the coming weeks and would like to headstart in acquiring required documents.

I've heard people mention "packet 3" . What is that? Is there a packet 1 and packet 2? What are they? I feel like I missed out on that whole part of the process. 

Anyways if someone happens to have a copy of this letter they get from the embassy recently, I would greatly appreciate if you could send me a copy for my reference! 

Thank you

I would greatly appreciate if you could send me a copy for my reference! 

Thank you

K-1 Fiancé Visa

01/17/2018: I-129F Sent

01/19/2018: NOA1 Received

08/03/2018: NOA2 Received

11/01/2018: K-1 Visa Interview

12/12/2018: Married in U.S.

Adjustment of Status

02/01/2019: I-485, EAD and AP Filed

02/15/2019: I-485, EAD and AP NOA1

08/07/2019: EAD and AP Approved

10/29/2019: Interview for AOS

Timeline

Hi again guys, have more questions. I was born in Hong Kong but my passport lists me as Japanese - however I got my visa today and under nationality, they printed "Hong Kong" instead of "Japanese".

1. Is this a mistake? I read online that info on the visa has to match the info on the biographic page on my passport.
  2. Does anyone know what the turnaround time for mistakes are? Can I go to the embassy directly and ask them to correct it on the spot?
12 hours ago, nakuke said:

Anyways if someone happens to have a copy of this letter they get from the embassy recently,

Anyways if someone happens to have a copy of this letter they get from the embassy recently, I would greatly appreciate if you could send me a copy for my reference! 

Thank you

I would greatly appreciate if you could send me a copy for my reference! 

Thank you

I don't recall receiving a packet 1 or 2. Perhaps those are what they call the documents going to USCIS or NVC? You should only receive a packet 3.

The letter that is received with packet 3 is a generic letter that goes like this:

American Embassy

(Address, website)

Date

Your name

Your address

Dear (your name),

(They can begin processing your visa case, please read attached instructions)

Your case number

Your name

Travelling applicant names

Enclosed: Visa instructions

Things you will need to do (assuming you are applying for a K-1 visa):

1. Apply for DS-160 - please note it is only valid for a couple of months so don't do it too early in advance

2. Gather documents listed here - https://jp.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee/fiancee-visa-checklist/

If you think NOA2 is coming in soon you can start applying for police certificates, getting documentation needed for the Affidavit for Support (Google I-134 for more info) and possibly doing the medical exam, but please note that the certificates/exam have limited validity. Japanese police certificate and medical exam are only valid for 6 months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.