1,729 posts in this topic

I attended my interview today at Federal Plaza in NYC.

It was a 2:45 pm appointment, I arrived at 2:15 pm.

Appointment letter stated to go to floor 8, from there I was sent to floor 7 and told to sit and await hearing the officer call my name.

I waited for about half an hour, before my name was called. I shut off my phone as a precaution.

I had taken all documents with me that I thought would be necessary such as : marriage certificates, passport copies of wife and children, birth certificates of children, sss letter, tax documents, and college diploma.

The officer was professional, we sat down and was sworn in. He asked me to place all documents to the side and place on the table my ID, GC, passports.

First he told me he was testing me on civics, reading, and writing.

Passed through it like a breeze.

"Most populous state is California"

Name a freedom granted by the constitution , why did the colonists come to America.

I was asked how I obtained my GC, at what age I came to the states and what age was I when I became a PR.

Then onto my application, was asked for the marriage certificate copy ( wife lives in the UK, so do children)

My birth certificate, SSS letter and also travel history.

He proceeded to have me go through the yes no questions and then He told me that he has recommended me for approval and to wait four to five weeks for letter.

Congratulations and there's the exit.

It was pretty straight forward, I had taken my tax records, driver abstract, and other photocopies of children and wife and that was not even mentioned.

24 year struggle coming to a solution conclusion, I'm 26 so ??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

I attended my interview today at Federal Plaza in NYC.

It was a 2:45 pm appointment, I arrived at 2:15 pm.

Appointment letter stated to go to floor 8, from there I was sent to floor 7 and told to sit and await hearing the officer call my name.

I waited for about half an hour, before my name was called. I shut off my phone as a precaution.

I had taken all documents with me that I thought would be necessary such as : marriage certificates, passport copies of wife and children, birth certificates of children, sss letter, tax documents, and college diploma.

The officer was professional, we sat down and was sworn in. He asked me to place all documents to the side and place on the table my ID, GC, passports.

First he told me he was testing me on civics, reading, and writing.

Passed through it like a breeze.

"Most populous state is California"

Name a freedom granted by the constitution , why did the colonists come to America.

I was asked how I obtained my GC, at what age I came to the states and what age was I when I became a PR.

Then onto my application, was asked for the marriage certificate copy ( wife lives in the UK, so do children)

My birth certificate, SSS letter and also travel history.

He proceeded to have me go through the yes no questions and then He told me that he has recommended me for approval and to wait four to five weeks for letter.

Congratulations and there's the exit.

It was pretty straight forward, I had taken my tax records, driver abstract, and other photocopies of children and wife and that was not even mentioned.

24 year struggle coming to a solution conclusion, I'm 26 so ??

Congrats!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

My interview wasn't easy like other folks. The IO asked me tons of questions like have you arrested before, where and when and why even I don't have one. I paid the traffic citation last week and went DMV yesterday to have a 10 year history in case I need it. Yes, it is needed, the IO asked for the tickets and I handed over the dmv history and showed the receipts. She kept the original dmv record. Firstly she was mistakenly asked me is it DUI. I said No, that was a speeding ticket and she insisted me it is, there is a point in my history from my last ticket. After she opened and find out from the book (vehicle codes), she agreed. My last name and my kid last name are not same so I need a name change process. I thought that would be a breeze through naturalization. My wife wasn't with me and IO asked where is she and I said she was at work (even though I filed under 5 years rule IO still asked about marriage and resident members of my current home. Finally I got an approval recommendation from her after many struggling had been made. I am supposed to be happy 100% but I set it 90% only because of the impossibility of name change in naturalization. Sweat out!

Good luck to all VJers who waiting for their interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

My interview wasn't easy like other folks. The IO asked me tons of questions like have you arrested before, where and when and why even I don't have one. I paid the traffic citation last week and went DMV yesterday to have a 10 year history in case I need it. Yes, it is needed, the IO asked for the tickets and I handed over the dmv history and showed the receipts. She kept the original dmv record. Firstly she was mistakenly asked me is it DUI. I said No, that was a speeding ticket and she insisted me it is, there is a point in my history from my last ticket. After she opened and find out from the book (vehicle codes), she agreed. My last name and my kid last name are not same so I need a name change process. I thought that would be a breeze through naturalization. My wife wasn't with me and IO asked where is she and I said she was at work (even though I filed under 5 years rule IO still asked about marriage and resident members of my current home. Finally I got an approval recommendation from her after many struggling had been made. I am supposed to be happy 100% but I set it 90% only because of the impossibility of name change in naturalization. Sweat out!

Congrats!

Interesting - thanks for sharing that experience. That's weird about the traffic stuff...

For me, I am preparing all my documents for applying under the 5 year rule (I am divorced after 4 years of marriage). I have:

• All years of Tax history (but a printout of 2014 as I haven't received the transcript yet)
  • Divorce Decree (certified)
  • Green Card
  • Drivers License
  • 3 UK passports (2 expired)
  • Selective Services registration proof
  • 2 passport sized photos

I do have a ticket for less than $500 that was paid years ago. I have a print out of the public court record of the fine being paid.

I am also a little concerned as I don't have a certified copy of my old marriage certificate from the married that ended (that brought me to the US). I have a copy - but not certified. It seems like I shouldn't have to present it though as I am applying under the 5 year rule and we are no longer married. I am also worried about the 2014 tax return, as I only have a printout - not a transcript.

Any thoughts?

________

K1/AOS

February, 06: Sent I-129f package
February, 13: NOA1 Receipt
March, 09: NOA2 Email.
May, 1: Medical
May, 29: Interview! - APPROVED
June, 1: Visa in Hand
July 18: POE, USA
July 27: Filed for AOS after marriage
August 24: NOA1 for EAD, AP and AOS
October 11: EAD card in hand
October 15: Case forwarded to California!
Nov, 15: Green Card Received

ROC:

August 20: ROC sent

August 24: NOA1
September 25: Biometrics!
Nov, 30: ROC Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Interesting - thanks for sharing that experience. That's weird about the traffic stuff...

For me, I am preparing all my documents for applying under the 5 year rule (I am divorced after 4 years of marriage). I have:

• All years of Tax history (but a printout of 2014 as I haven't received the transcript yet)
  • Green Card
  • Drivers License
I do have a ticket for less than $500 that was paid years ago. I have a print out of the public court record of the fine being paid.

I am also a little concerned as I don't have a certified copy of my old marriage certificate from the married that ended (that brought me to the US). I have a copy - but not certified. It seems like I shouldn't have to present it though as I am applying under the 5 year rule and we are no longer married. I am also worried about the 2014 tax return, as I only have a printout - not a transcript.

Any thoughts?

They don't even bother about tax return. What they concern about is that your previous marriage whether bona fide or not.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

• Green Card
  • Drivers License

Any thoughts?

There's a chance you'll need that marriage certificate. It's directly related to how you got your green card. Applying under The five-year rule exempts you from having to prove that you're currently in a legitimate relationship with a US citizen, but it does not exempt you from having to show that you got your green card through a legitimate relationship. If I were you I would certainly do everything I could to get a certified copy of the marriage certificate just in case. I would think that a copy should be good enough, but you never know what they will ask for. If you got married in the US it should be easy enough to get a copy from the registrar of the town in which you got married.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Timeline

• Green Card
  • Drivers License

Any thoughts?

I had interview in Denver last Thursday, of course every IO and office is different, but I was not asked to show any tax related documents, IO asked me about my passports and GC, I put them in a front of him, he just looked at my GC to confirm A# and didn't even touch my passports. Asked me about my husband, his address, his job, if we have kids, my job, my address, if I did my taxes. Didn't ask for any documentation. Went through the entire form N400 and ask the same questions again. Then we started to talk about weather, the town I live in. Just small talk...

I don't think you should worry of not having certified copy of your marriage certificate. I don't think the IO would ask about it and if he/she does, show them the regular copy. They probably have it on the file anyway. They might ask you why you got divorced so quick and dig there a bit. Good luck!

Edited by KataS

I had interview in Denver last Thursday, of course every IO and office is different, but I was not asked to show any tax related documents, IO asked me about my passports and GC, I put them in a front of him, he just looked at my GC to confirm A# and didn't even touch my passports. Asked me about my husband, his address, his job, if we have kids, my job, my address, if I did my taxes. Didn't ask for any documentation. Went through the entire form N400 and ask the same questions again. Then we started to talk about weather, the town I live in. Just small talk...

I don't think you should worry of not having certified copy of your marriage certificate. I don't think the IO would ask about it and if he/she does, show them the regular copy. They probably have it on the file anyway. They might ask you why you got divorced so quick and dig there a bit. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing! I do have a certified copy of the marriage license that shows the marriage date, location etc - so hopefully that would be ok.

And we were married for a total of 5 years (separated around 4 years 8 months), and everything ended very amicably. It wouldn't be any kind of issue to explain anything to the I/O regarding the divorce - although I guess I wouldn't have assumed 5 years was so quick?

________

K1/AOS

ROC:

There's a chance you'll need that marriage certificate. It's directly related to how you got your green card. Applying under The five-year rule exempts you from having to prove that you're currently in a legitimate relationship with a US citizen, but it does not exempt you from having to show that you got your green card through a legitimate relationship. If I were you I would certainly do everything I could to get a certified copy of the marriage certificate just in case. I would think that a copy should be good enough, but you never know what they will ask for. If you got married in the US it should be easy enough to get a copy from the registrar of the town in which you got married.

Thanks for the response - as I said above, I do have a certified copy of the marriage license which was given back to us once we showed we were married, and this has the info regarding date, location, etc etc of when the marriage took place. Hopefully that would be ok along side the copy (not certified) of the marriage certificate.

I am out of time to get a copy before my interview (Monday) so hopefully this won't be an issue

________

K1/AOS

ROC:

They don't even bother about tax return. What they concern about is that your previous marriage whether bona fide or not.

I am having an interview in SF this month. I am filing under 3 year marriage rule and my spouse will not be able to attend the interview. I have tons of documents and latest one is a joint lease of an apartment which we renewed last week for the whole next year (we have been living at the same place since I came).

Do you think it will be a problem to not bring spouse with me?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.