spookyturtle

The Official CE&HST Super Bowl Thread

381 posts in this topic

Timeline

True about Belichek. They may make it back again.

How about how lucky Seattle was with Kearse's catch? NE outplayed and out coached Seattle in that game. He is near the end of his career and time will tell if he can still perform at a high level. Brady retiring might not be NE's biggest problem, Belichick will probably leave at the same time.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The Pats have done quite well in the salary cap era and there is no reason to think they won't continue to do so. They have gotten rid of veterans over the years and yet younger players walk. Ask Logan Mankins, Wes Welker, Asante Samuel, Richard Seymour, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, etc. They only spend the money where they feel they get value. Some players take the hometown discount to stay on a championship caliber team, others take the money elsewhere and play anywhere. The Patriots like the winner mind set.

I am sorry but I have to step in here: congratulations on your team winning the superbowl, but you cannot say that other teams do not like the winner mindset , you cannot say that in two years that Brady will want a contract that is anything less than what Tony Romo gets and that he will stay with NE out of loyalty, NE is subject to the same caps and free market as other teams. There is no silver bullet to avoid that. Would the superbowl have been won without Brady? Amendola is hitting your cap should you keep him? You will need to replace 137 Postseason yards.

Which players will take a "hometown" discount? There is no geographic loyalty, this is pro football. The chance to go to the Superbowl again will be a draw, but that will be true for a lot of teams including Seattle. Certainly Seattle has benefited from having young starters that will now need to be paid more. It doesn't mean that the wheels will fall off. Seattle management understands the concept of value for money paid as well.

Edited by Rob L

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

I am sorry but I have to step in here: congratulations on your team winning the superbowl, but you cannot say that other teams do not like the winner mindset , you cannot say that in two years that Brady will want a contract that is anything less than what Tony Romo gets and that he will stay with NE out of loyalty, NE is subject to the same caps and free market as other teams. There is no silver bullet to avoid that. Would the superbowl have been won without Brady? Amendola is hitting your cap should you keep him? You will need to replace 137 Postseason yards.

Which players will take a "hometown" discount? There is no geographic loyalty, this is pro football. The chance to go to the Superbowl again will be a draw, but that will be true for a lot of teams including Seattle. Certainly Seattle has benefited from having young starters that will now need to be paid more. It doesn't mean that the wheels will fall off. Seattle management understands the concept of value for money paid as well.

The history of the Patriots since Robert Kraft bought the team in 1994 does not agree with your premise. No NFL team in recent history has had the type of success the Patriots have had. They are able to be at the top every year no matter what hits them. And no, not every team likes the winner mindset, all some teams care about is putting bodies in the seats and turning a profit. See teams like Tennessee, St. Louis and Oakland.

I think that Seattle has the winner mindset and I think Pete Carroll is an outstanding coach. There is a difference in teams and attitudes. The Patriots have the humble pie attitude and the Seahawks have more bravado which they back up. As Muhammad Ali used to say, if you can do what you say then you ain't bragging. Denver got their butts kicked last year because they were soft. GB lost because they got too conservative, both due to coaching, IMO.

Belichick will decide who is expendable and who is not. He has put a very competitive team on the field for the past 14 years. Lots of players have come and gone. Everyone thought he was nuts for letting Welker go and look how that worked out for Denver and NE. Anyone want Welker back over Edelman? He was nuts for letting Logan Mankins go, but that turned out fairly well. Blount was a malcontent, quitter, etc, but he came through when needed. Amendola was on the back burner for half the season or more and was a key player in the post season. Someone is always there to step up, that's the way it's supposed to be. Butler did just what was expected of him even though he played very little all season. The only position on this team where we would be fvcked is quarterback. A few years back when Brady went down for the season Matt Cassell took the team to an 11-5 season. Garoppolo isn't ready yet.

It's hard tor people outside of this area to understand. Humble pie, I eat it. Do your job. When you lose, say little, when you win, say less. That's the NE Patriots.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I think that Seattle has the winner mindset and I think Pete Carroll is an outstanding coach. There is a difference in teams and attitudes. The Patriots have the humble pie attitude and the Seahawks have more bravado which they back up. As Muhammad Ali used to say, if you can do what you say then you ain't bragging. Denver got their butts kicked last year because they were soft. GB lost because they got too conservative, both due to coaching, IMO.

Belichick will decide who is expendable and who is not. He has put a very competitive team on the field for the past 14 years. Lots of players have come and gone. Everyone thought he was nuts for letting Welker go and look how that worked out for Denver and NE. Anyone want Welker back over Edelman? He was nuts for letting Logan Mankins go, but that turned out fairly well. Blount was a malcontent, quitter, etc, but he came through when needed. Amendola was on the back burner for half the season or more and was a key player in the post season. Someone is always there to step up, that's the way it's supposed to be. Butler did just what was expected of him even though he played very little all season. The only position on this team where we would be fvcked is quarterback. A few years back when Brady went down for the season Matt Cassell took the team to an 11-5 season. Garoppolo isn't ready yet.

It's hard tor people outside of this area to understand. Humble pie, I eat it. Do your job. When you lose, say little, when you win, say less. That's the NE Patriots.

That year is still a hard one to swallow, go 11-5 in the NFL and not even get a wild card spot, unheard of.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Denver was soft but they did beat up the Pat's in the AFC championship game last year, which makes the Pat's even softer. Then with the core of that "soft" team mostly intact, the Pat's manage to out slug the Seahawks this year. Belichik is a great coach because he fixes those things. He might get exposed once, like the Chiefs game early this year, but not over and over.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/intelligence-index-physically-gifted-denver-broncos-dumb-team/32445/

Belichik also likes smart players, always has, which makes a big difference in situational game planning. We saw that at the end of the SB. Not every team has a defense that makes that play. Against the Bronco's, the receiver would have been wide open for the TD.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Denver was soft but they did beat up the Pat's in the AFC championship game last year, which makes the Pat's even softer. Then with the core of that "soft" team mostly intact, the Pat's manage to out slug the Seahawks this year. Belichik is a great coach because he fixes those things. He might get exposed once, like the Chiefs game early this year, but not over and over.

Two completely different teams in that AFC Championship. The Broncos were much tougher all around and Manning was the old Manning, not this softer version we're seeing now, and the Pats didn't have Gronk, Revis, Mayo or Wilfork.

Edited by Teddy B

Timeline

Two completely different teams in that AFC Championship. The Broncos were much tougher all around and Manning was the old Manning, not this softer version we're seeing now, and the Pats didn't have Gronk, Revis, Mayo or Wilfork.

Gronk would have made a difference for sure. The Bronco's were not a tougher team last year than this year. They should be more physical than they are, but they don't play that way. To Spook's point, that where it comes down to coaching (and player selection). That's why the Bronco's fired the coaching staff after a 12-4 season.

not to mention the superbowl is over.

Not, really. It's just 11 months away. :)

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Gronk would have made a difference for sure. The Bronco's were not a tougher team last year than this year. They should be more physical than they are, but they don't play that way. To Spook's point, that where it comes down to coaching (and player selection). That's why the Bronco's fired the coaching staff after a 12-4 season.

I believe they were, especially mentally. In the 2014 playoffs they would go toe to toe and bang heads with anybody, this year they kinda just rolled over at the end. I've never liked John Fox as a head coach.