Honey&Bunny

Is it smart to hire a lawyer?

21 posts in this topic

Good afternoon VJ friends, I am going to keep it short because it is too painful to go through the same issue every single time. Some of you know my ordeal with NVC, some of you don't. I have numerous post on this site on which I state how much I HATE NVC AND THE WAY THE PROCESS PETITIONS! Anyways, my question is: Is it worth it to hire a lawyer at this point of my process (currently waiting for NVC to stop losing my documents, keep sending me checklist, and hopefully, complete my cases) to pick up the fight with NVC or is really not going to make a diference? IF ANYONE HAVE GONE THROUGH ANY KIND OF BEEF WITH NVC, AND HAVE HIRED A LAWYER TO PUT ON THE BOXING GLOVES, PLEASE SHARE.... My dad has offer me to pay for an immigration lawyer, but I wouldn't like to waste his money if it is not worth it. THANK YOU GUYS, AND PLEASE DON'T LET ME HANGING. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT I KNOW. ;-)

It is very frustrating the process with nvc. We personally hired an attorney to start and finish our petition process. We are currently responded to a checklist we got where our attorney made 3 mistake on our aos. Nvc saw only one mistake. But as I then review what the attorney did I picked up on 2 other mistakes on aos so I corrected all 3. And requested nvc to remove her from our case. Im praying I did all correct guided my VJ. So my experience was just a waste of money. It is more upsetting to have pay an experienced person in area and be stuck 60 days more in nvc. I think you sould request supervisor review and get senator or congressman involve.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It is very frustrating the process with nvc. We personally hired an attorney to start and finish our petition process. We are currently responded to a checklist we got where our attorney made 3 mistake on our aos. Nvc saw only one mistake. But as I then review what the attorney did I picked up on 2 other mistakes on aos so I corrected all 3. And requested nvc to remove her from our case. Im praying I did all correct guided my VJ. So my experience was just a waste of money. It is more upsetting to have pay an experienced person in area and be stuck 60 days more in nvc. I think you sould request supervisor review and get senator or congressman involve.

Woooo Weeee I read your other post. Why don't you try this. I have given this little tip to many and it does work. Write a email to NVC SUBJECT : SUPERVISOR REVIEW

And in it you request that they please Case complete you and that you will bring all Affidavit of support Documents to the Interview for the Consular Office to review.

This way you can get off the AOS roller coaster.

Don;t know if on the I-864 you put $0 amount or left blank. I read you wrote an explanation you were unemployed but an amount of $0 needs to be there. Sorry you are frustrated and this has gone on way to long.

Try the email. Send in you have nothing to loose. A lawyer will gain you nothing. This is not a court case. Not like they can serve NVC with a bench warrant to case complete you or demand anything. NVC can do what they want when they want if you really want to know the truth of the manner.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Woooo Weeee I read your other post. Why don't you try this. I have given this little tip to many and it does work. Write a email to NVC SUBJECT : SUPERVISOR REVIEW

And in it you request that they please Case complete you and that you will bring all Affidavit of support Documents to the Interview for the Consular Office to review.

Don;t know if on the I-864 you put $0 amount or left blank. I read you wrote an explanation you were unemployed but an amount of $0 needs to be there. Sorry you are frustrated and this has gone on way to long.

Try the email. Send in you have nothing to loose. A lawyer will gain you nothing. This is not a court case. Not like they can serve NVC with a bench warrant to case complete you or demand anything. NVC can do what they want when they want if you really want to know the truth of the manner.

Wow! Thank you so much for that advice. It has definitely been a very stressful process for all of us involved. Now, I have two cases, my husband, and my step-daughter. Should I inquire about the two cases on that email? I know they only want you to inquiry on one case at the time, but I am afraid that if I inquire separately, they will only take care of one and not the other.

Thank you for your input. That is the one thing that I have been fearing about. I already paid somebody to file my AOS, and FOUR CHECKLISTS LATER, I am more frustrated than ever.

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I would suggest you to hire a lawyer from the Human Services which are located everywhere in the city of the United States apart from that your documentation can or may have errors which could be problem afterwards. also keep in mind that these lawyers are much more cheaper as compared with the ones you will hire directly

Priority Date: 22 July 2013

Case Complete: 02 April 2014

Miracles Happen To Those Who Believe In Them!, And I Am A Believer! :devil:

I would suggest you to hire a lawyer from the Human Services which are located everywhere in the city of the United States apart from that your documentation can or may have errors which could be problem afterwards. also keep in mind that these lawyers are much more cheaper as compared with the ones you will hire directly

Thank you, I will definitely look into that. I had a couple of good suggestions that I would like to give a try before hiring a lawyer. I NEVER WANTED TO BE RICH, BUT AFTER DEALING WITH NVC, I WISH I WAS SUPER RICH SO I COULD MAKE AN EXAMPLE OUT OF THEM....

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hiring a lawyer won't stop the NVC from loosing anyone's documents.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Hiring a lawyer won't stop the NVC from loosing anyone's documents.

I never thought that it will make them stop being complete idiots, but I thought that maybe they might be awared that lawyers know people's rights. Also, I would love to know if maybe my civil rights are being violated. Not on the sense of the waiting time for processing because to be quite honest I am okay with that now, but in the wait that they are shutting me up without letting talk to somebody in charge, or giving me an acurate explanation. I can't even present my proof because they are not even giving me the chance. I have USPS TRACKING NUMBERS THAT SHOWS THE DATE AND TIME THAT DOCUMENTS HAVE BEEN SIGNED AND RECEIVED BY THEM. That is the part that is really frustrating. THEY CLAIMED THAT THEY NEVER RECEIVED THEM, AND WHEN I DEMAND TO SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR, THERE IS NEVER ONE AVAILABLE.

Timeline

I never thought that it will make them stop being complete idiots, but I thought that maybe they might be awared that lawyers know people's rights. Also, I would love to know if maybe my civil rights are being violated. Not on the sense of the waiting time for processing because to be quite honest I am okay with that now, but in the wait that they are shutting me up without letting talk to somebody in charge, or giving me an acurate explanation. I can't even present my proof because they are not even giving me the chance. I have USPS TRACKING NUMBERS THAT SHOWS THE DATE AND TIME THAT DOCUMENTS HAVE BEEN SIGNED AND RECEIVED BY THEM. That is the part that is really frustrating. THEY CLAIMED THAT THEY NEVER RECEIVED THEM, AND WHEN I DEMAND TO SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR, THERE IS NEVER ONE AVAILABLE.

This is not a civil rights violation, such a claim would go nowhere. You would have to prove you were intentionally being singled out based on a specific criteria. Telling you a supervisor is unavailable (which is something that can probably easily show) is not a rights violation.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

This is not a civil rights violation, such a claim would go nowhere. You would have to prove you were intentionally being singled out based on a specific criteria. Telling you a supervisor is unavailable (which is something that can probably easily show) is not a rights violation.

I guess you are right. It is just frustrating not to be able to speak with somebody in charge. I have called in both, spanish, and English just to see, but it's still the same answer......

Hi, do you know which one of the email adress I send that email to? Is it asknvc@state.gov? nvcelectronic@state.gov? Please get back at me when you get a chance, thank you.

Timeline

Hi, do you know which one of the email adress I send that email to? Is it asknvc@state.gov? nvcelectronic@state.gov? Please get back at me when you get a chance, thank you.

You would not send any inquiries about your case to nvcelectronic@state.gov; that particular address if for document submission for countries where electronic processing is available.

Our journey:

Spoiler

Hiring a legal counsel or agency;(!? wish we didnt;( coz even lawyer made mistake so with my ds260;;, agency had a copy of my passport still error on ds260 2times ; on my birthplaces province;(, and answering a question have i ever been in the usa? i answered no with it but when the ds26o asked of my son birthplace, agent put USA his country birth hahhahah if i were you u better do it urself just try to be very careful

filling up, and about ur docs losing misplacing u are not alobe my friend, nvc said forwarded my docs to embassy but embassy said nvc didnt include missing docs in the packet;(! So instead of arguing, no choice than to redo, resubmit and if nvc still make fun of tour docs i think i dont know if its okay to sue nvc of handling applicants'docs without care;)! nvc sometimes not reliable especially the customer service, they gave u wrong info on what to do with docs,,, so if you think u are not satiesfied with the processing just ask a good lawyer expert well experience on immigration law,,knows what are the steps on the processing:)!

You would not send any inquiries about your case to nvcelectronic@state.gov; that particular address if for document submission for countries where electronic processing is available.

So, I guess is ASKNVC@STATE.GOV. NOW, I had a lawyer yesterday looking at my AOS, and he said that my proof of no income is my father's W2. I already sent the AOS again due to my last checklist, but didn't send my dad's W2 because NVC did not actually ask for it. Now, should I submmit new AOS forms again, and reset the whole thing or that is really not going to make a difference. I responded to a Checklist for my daughter's petitions about a month ago, and I know I am going to get a checklist for that because is filed the same way as my husband's. THERE IS REALLY NO POINT CALLING NVC BECAUSE THEY REALLY HAVE NO ANSWERS WHEN I CALL.

Filed: Timeline

They say someone that fails to hire a lawyer has a fool for a client, however, even foolish people seem to make it through the visa process, eventually. :lol:

If you do hire a lawyer, make sure it is someone actually experienced with immigration issues and check references!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.