Alex+R

Married bridesmaids

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So yes, the bride in this case may be going traditional. That's where the saying "Always a bridesmaid, never a bride." comes from.

-12/15/06 Mailed off I-129F

-12/19/06 NOA1 via email

-01/05/07 NOA2 via email

-01/13/07 NVC notice via snail mail

-01/25/07 Packet 3 arrives.

-02/22/07 Packet 3 is mailed.

-03/02/07 Medical

-03/13/07 Packet 4 arrives.

-03/16-24/07 Honey visits.

-04/02/07 Interview(Approved)

-04/10/07 Visa arrives.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(snip)

Isn't it sort of tactless to invite a husband but not a wife to be in the party, especially if you are friends with both?

I don't think so. It's been fairly common, where the husband is a close friend (e.g. college buddy) and the wife isn't (e.g., some woman he met after college), for one to be a groomsman and the other not to be a bridesmaid, especially when the bride doesn't know the wife of her husband's college buddy at all.

And even if you're friends with both, the composition of the rest of the party is pretty important. If, for example, the bride had four sisters, chances are she doesn't have room for another bridesmaid, and the groom needs to fill out his half of the party. That can mean a male friend gets picked and not a female one.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yep, Don't take it personal Alex...I don't think it is...

July 17 2006 Sent I-129F to TSC

July 19 2006 packet received by TSC

July 27 2006 case received at CSC

July 28 2006 touched (to process/send NOA1)

Aug 01 2006 check cashed

Aug 05 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Oct 03 2006 Touched (RFE sent)

Oct 10 2006 RFE received and responded to

Oct 17 2006 Touched (CSC reply to RFE response)

Nov 06 2006 NOA2

Nov 21 2006 NVC sent to Manila

Blah

Blur

Drone

March 27 2007 Interview

April 02 2007 Visa delivered

April 05 2007 Happiness delivered

April 06 2007 First day of the rest of our lives

"There they go! I must hurry and catch them, for I am their leader."

Filed: Other Timeline

JUst think, when you go to the wedding as a guest, you can actually buy yourself a dress that you'd like to wear again somewhere, and not some frilly clown outfit not appropriate to wear even to a tacky tea party!

ugh...honestly, its not an honour to be asked to be a bride's maid. Its a pain in the ####### IMO. All that money spent on a dress and shoes and hair and make-up and strippers and booze....bah! You're better off, trust me!

;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmmm....my matron of honour was my best friend. She is married. She wore a dress that she wears for other special occasions. Shoes matched but they were shoes that she wears for special occasions. So, the dress being a pain in the ####### wasn't an issue here. As to it being a rule, well, I've never been one to follow the rules of etiquette. I chose who I wanted beside me in the wedding, as did Joel. Why does there *have* to be rules anyway? :blink: It seems that the wedding is more of a theatrical production and the whole purpose for the wedding is lost in the fancy preparations and expensive clothes. JMHO.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
JUst think, when you go to the wedding as a guest, you can actually buy yourself a dress that you'd like to wear again somewhere, and not some frilly clown outfit not appropriate to wear even to a tacky tea party!

ugh...honestly, its not an honour to be asked to be a bride's maid. Its a pain in the ####### IMO. All that money spent on a dress and shoes and hair and make-up and strippers and booze....bah! You're better off, trust me!

;)

i was kind to my maid of honour, we had her dress made from a pattern she had picked out when choosing a dress for me for her wedding (which never happened). She was cool with that, seeing as she was the one who originally picked out the pattern, and she looked great. :) She paid for having the dress made, but we covered the materials, jewelry, and half her plane ticket to be at the wedding.

My sister-in-law, on the other hand, was asked to be in a wedding for a friend from university. When I saw the pictures of the wedding afterwards, it took all I could not to rip up the pictures on Stacey's behalf. The bride made everyone wear the same unflattering style of dress and same unflattering hairstyle, no matter how uncomfortable the bridesmaids were. My sister-in-law is beautiful, always very well styled and put together, and in that wedding I barely recognized her. Bridezilla indeed!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks everyone. I feel better just reading these posts. The bummer part is that my friend is doing sort of an unconventional wedding with no bridesmaid dresses or any of the usual wedding party stuff... ah well, c'est la vie. If I don't have to be in the wedding, then I don't have to stay longer than I want, right? It will be in my college town and I want a chance to show Rey around there.

Why don't you just ask her? Maybe, when the moment is right?

It does seem to bug you- so maybe it's worth talking and getting it out?

Or is it a taboo?

I'm asking- because when we got married we were only 4 people altogether (husband and me, and two witnesses).

I have a bunch of really good friends, some I've known my entire life. Some might have expected to be in my wedding.

But I picked one of my newer friends to be my only maid of honor.

There was one simple explanation: she is the one that has seen most of my husband and me. No one of my friends knows us better. And I know that she absolutely and utterly approved of us getting married.

I explained that to the 2 or 3 of my dear friends who could have been mad at me for not picking them- and (even though I think they were a little sad) they did understand.

I'm happy we had an open conversation about this instead of them being mad and me not knowing what was going on...

Thanks everyone. I feel better just reading these posts. The bummer part is that my friend is doing sort of an unconventional wedding with no bridesmaid dresses or any of the usual wedding party stuff... ah well, c'est la vie. If I don't have to be in the wedding, then I don't have to stay longer than I want, right? It will be in my college town and I want a chance to show Rey around there.

short history:

2001 - met in Germany

April 2003 - fell in love

Aug 2004 - go to the US for internship

Feb 2005 - both return to Germany

Aug 2006 - getting married

DCF timeline:

09/01/2006 - filed the petition in Frankfurt

09/06/2006 - medical in Frankfurt

09/26/2006 - faxed checklist

10/05/2006 - received interview invite

11/01/2006 - INTERVIEW in Frankfurt - approved!

11/04/2006 - VISA IN HAND!!

12/21/2006 - POE San Francisco and ON TO SEA!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Why don't you just ask her? Maybe, when the moment is right?

It does seem to bug you- so maybe it's worth talking and getting it out?

Or is it a taboo?

I'm asking- because when we got married we were only 4 people altogether (husband and me, and two witnesses).

I have a bunch of really good friends, some I've known my entire life. Some might have expected to be in my wedding.

But I picked one of my newer friends to be my only maid of honor.

There was one simple explanation: she is the one that has seen most of my husband and me. No one of my friends knows us better. And I know that she absolutely and utterly approved of us getting married.

I explained that to the 2 or 3 of my dear friends who could have been mad at me for not picking them- and (even though I think they were a little sad) they did understand.

I'm happy we had an open conversation about this instead of them being mad and me not knowing what was going on...

Well, I'd like to ask her but I'm not sure how. How would you have liked to have been asked?

I guess maybe it was a bit rude of her to not explain to me in advance why she decided to exclude me.

Well, I'd like to ask her but I'm not sure how. How would you have liked to have been asked?

I guess maybe it was a bit rude of her to not explain to me in advance why she decided to exclude me.

Good point.

I guess I "felt" that I needed to explain things before they even had the chance on being upset.

Maybe- when you get together with her when she's in town- she will sense that you feel somewhat odd about not being in the wedding party... oh I don't know.

short history:

2001 - met in Germany

April 2003 - fell in love

Aug 2004 - go to the US for internship

Feb 2005 - both return to Germany

Aug 2006 - getting married

DCF timeline:

09/01/2006 - filed the petition in Frankfurt

09/06/2006 - medical in Frankfurt

09/26/2006 - faxed checklist

10/05/2006 - received interview invite

11/01/2006 - INTERVIEW in Frankfurt - approved!

11/04/2006 - VISA IN HAND!!

12/21/2006 - POE San Francisco and ON TO SEA!

• 1 year later...
Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

The only thing I don't like is that the wedding party is usually at the head table and they leave no room for spouses of the wedding party. So, if it's a friend of mine that my husband doesn't really know, he's usually stuck at a table with people he doesn't know.

There's pictures, there's toasts, there's dances.........it can be a long, boring night for him.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

I was a bridesmaid to my SIL in 2004 and I had been married for over a year at the time (pregnant too..although not showing yet :P). Her sister was her matron of honor and she was married as well..if there's a rule about this my SIL didn't know of it or simply ignore it. B)

U.S. CITIZEN SINCE MAY 8TH 2008

NATURALIZATION

28th july 2007 - N-400 mailed to VSC

(exactly on the 90th day mark...applications NOT returned although some scared me into thinking they could have!)

30th july 2007 - N-400 delivered to VSC

11th august 2007 - Delivery Confirmation receipt received

17th september 2007 - Money Order (FINALLY!) cashed

9th november 2007 - NOA! (notification period given 180 days)

21th november 2007 - Biometrics appointment letter

18th december 2007 - Biometrics appointment in Baltimore, MD completed

29th march 2008 - FINALLY received letter with interview date!

8th may 2008 H 8:40 AM - Interview in Baltimore-APPROVED!

8th may 2008 H 3:00 pm (yes same day, crazy!) Oath Ceremony in Baltimore

24th may 2008 - US Passport application mailed off

6th june 2008 - US Passport received in the mail!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

No rule, its fine! Instead of "Maid of Honour" they refer to her as "Matron of Honour". My former wife was this at her sister's wedding.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Timeline
This is not a question related to my wedding, but I'm wondering if brides here would have/did have a married bridesmaid. Is it preferable to have an unmarried one to a married one?

In my opinion, the marital status of your attendants doesn't really matter, but is there some sort of rule?

SISTER!!! My only one was a matron of honour of circa 57 years old. Married, remarried and again. She was amazing, drove from Regina to Edmonton (9 hours) to cater to my every whim -- so don't fret: the best bridesmaid is the one(s) that will support you!