jc1

Send $ to an ATM account?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I need to send my fiancee a fairly large amount of money (for her trip to Manila for medical/interview/CFO/etc). I don't want her to carry it around, so I want to send it directly to her bank account using Western Union.

However, she told me she doesn't have a traditional bank account. It's called an ATM account / payroll account. She says it has an account number. Will I be able to send to this account? Not sure if it helps, but the bank is RCBC. Thanks!

Yes. as long as she can withdraw money from it. Does she has a passbook instead of the atm card as we call it? Me and my husband use Xoom.com, it's cheaper than western union. Charge is $4.99 for up to $2999 if you use your checking account. I use that everymonth to send money to my mom in the PH.

Well if she does not have the card (atm card), she doesn't have another way to carry it unless cash. St. Lukes does not accept passbook. They accept cash for sure.

Edited by POA

I need to send my fiancee a fairly large amount of money (for her trip to Manila for medical/interview/CFO/etc). I don't want her to carry it

around, so I want to send it directly to her bank

account using Western Union

However, she told me she doesn't have a traditional bank account. It's called an ATM account / payroll account. She says it has an account number. Will I be able to send to this account? Not sure if it helps, but the bank is RCBC. Thanks!

Might as well don't send use whole amount at once.

When I had my medical in Manila, together with hotel expenses, food and etc.

He first sent 400$. I got it in the province before I traveled.

Then when I got here in Manila. He sent another 400$.

Too bad, I had to do the sputum and decided to wait until smear collection.

He sent again additional 500$.

After 4weeks of being in Manila and ready to go back to the province to wait for culture result, he sent $150 again.

He uses western union all the time.

ROC Timeline:

Date Filed: September 18, 2017  (California Service Center)

ROC Approved: November 28,2018

10yr GC Received: December 6, 2018

N-400 Naturalization Timeline: (ONLINE)

(Day 00)Date Submitted, Received, Cashed, NOA & NOA Letter posted online: January 30, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 01)Date NOA Letter was mailed: January 31, 2019

(Day 02)Date Case Status Update: February 1, 2019 (BIOMETRICS SCHEDULED NOTICE)

(Day 03)Date Biometrics Appointment Letter was mailed: February 2, 2019

(Day 05)Date NOA received in the mail: February 4, 2019 

(Day 06)Date Biometrics Appointment Letter posted online: February 5, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 10)Date Biometrics Appointment Letter received in the mail: February 9, 2019

(Day 23)Date of Biometrics: February 22, 2019 COMPLETED 

(Day 23)Date Case Status Update:  February 22, 2019 (BIOMETRICS ACTIVELY REVIEWED)

(Day 211)Date INTERVIEW Appointment letter was mailed: August 29, 2019

(Day 211)Date Case Status Update : August 29, 2019 (7 months from filing) (INTERVIEW WAS SCHEDULED)

(Day 212)Date INTERVIEW Appointment Letter posted online: August 30, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 222)Date INTERVIEW Appointment Letter received in the mail: September 7, 2019

(Day 241)Date of INTERVIEW: October 10, 2019 (8 months & 1 week from filing) (PASSED!!! )

(Day 241)Date Case Status Update: October 10, 2019 (NATURALIZATION CEREMONY WAS SCHEDULED)

(Day 241)Date OATH CEREMONY NOTICE was mailed: October 10, 2019 

(Day 243)Date OATH CEREMONY Appointment Letter posted online: October 12, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 249)Date OATH CEREMONY Appointment Letter received in the mail: October 18, 2019 

(Day 256)Date of OATH CEREMONY: October 25,2019 

jc1, I think the difference between a payroll account and a traditional bank account is that the account is tied to her work. Likely, it was opened when she started working where she's working now, and once she leaves it'll be closed. While the account is open under her name, I think it's actually opened by her company.

This was how it was when my wife worked for Makati Med. Once she left her job there, the account was closed. You might want to have her check with RCBC if the account will accept deposits/transfers from entities other than her work, just to be sure.

Also, please note, try to send under $10,000.00 at a time. Doing that amount or more causes the transfer to get flagged by the US Treasury and the Anti-Money Laundering organizations.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Audentes Fortuna Adiuvat"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

Mar 13, 2015 - CFO Manila - Done

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
I need to send my fiancee a fairly large amount of money (for her trip to Manila for medical/interview/CFO/etc). I don't want her to carry it around, so I want to send it directly to her bank account using Western Union.

Odds are.... NO. The account is not her personal account, it belongs to the company she works for, they give her an ATM card to access her pay.

jc1, I think the difference between a payroll account and a traditional bank account is that the account is tied to her work. Likely, it was opened when she started working where she's working now, and once she leaves it'll be closed. While the account is open under her name, I think it's actually opened by her company.

This was how it was when my wife worked for Makati Med. Once she left her job there, the account was closed. You might want to have her check with RCBC if the account will accept deposits/transfers from entities other than her work, just to be sure.

Also, please note, try to send under $10,000.00 at a time. Doing that amount or more causes the transfer to get flagged by the US Treasury and the Anti-Money Laundering organizations.

WU and XOOM both have limits under $3,000 per month... so no issue there. Bank to bank transfers ... no issue.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Odds are.... NO. The account is not her personal account, it belongs to the company she works for, they give her an ATM card to access her pay.

WU and XOOM both have limits under $3,000 per month... so no issue there. Bank to bank transfers ... no issue.

It depends on the company bec back when I was still working in the PH, my husband used to send me money to my payroll account. When I moved here, i left my atm card to my mom and that's where I send money now, it was just recently that my ex-company disconnected my account from their payroll and it was converted to a regular savings. But I think, OP's account is not payroll. Maybe it is just a regular passbook account or a personal account that his fiancee opened.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

It depends on the company bec back when I was still working in the PH, my husband used to send me money to my payroll account. When I moved here, i left my atm card to my mom and that's where I send money now, it was just recently that my ex-company disconnected my account from their payroll and it was converted to a regular savings. But I think, OP's account is not payroll. Maybe it is just a regular passbook account or a personal account that his fiancee opened.

The OP states it is a payroll acount

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

The OP states it is a payroll acount

Oh my bad. I skipped the "it's called" lol. Well, It is her payroll account under her name so she should not have problem getting it.

Filed: Timeline

It's actually not $10,000 for fund transfer.

http://www.fincen.gov/financial_institutions/msb/materials/en/prevention_guide.html#$3,000 Funds Transfer Records

Below is a story of a women who tried to avoid the IRS reporting requirement for her deposits by depositing less than $10,000, and it ended up getting seized.

http://www.infowars.com/they-just-want-the-money-the-irs-can-now-seize-accounts-on-suspicion-alone/

There is nothing illegal about depositing or sending by wire less than $10,000 cash unless it is done specifically to evade the reporting requirement. Keep in mind it the ones who deposit or send internationally on a regular basis under 10K will get questioned and or seized if possible from the IRS. I think the poster was reminding the OP about the law and the limits.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

jc1, on 20 Dec 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

I think that chaeradaria has the right answer. Send in small amounts at different times via WU or some other wire service as she is going through the process. That way she doesn't have to carry large amounts with her.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

There is nothing illegal about depositing or sending by wire less than $10,000 cash unless it is done specifically to evade the reporting requirement. Keep in mind it the ones who deposit or send internationally on a regular basis under 10K will get questioned and or seized if possible from the IRS. I think the poster was reminding the OP about the law and the limits.

This might be a different topic but since you mentioned it. What if the money sent overseas are help to the family there. Would there still be an issue with that? I am curious since i send them every month and definitely less than 10k.

This might be a different topic but since you mentioned it. What if the money sent overseas are help to the family there. Would there still be an issue with that? I am curious since i send them every month and definitely less than 10k.

If your sending $100, $200 or more at a time it's not going to be a problem. Those that send $9k or more on a frequent basis are what will attract attention.

If your sending $100, $200 or more at a time it's not going to be a problem. Those that send $9k or more on a frequent basis are what will attract attention.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

My wife and I usually send around $4-500USD a month using Xoom, we have had no problem as of yet. When she was in the Philippines while doing visa processing to come here I would use WU to send around $1500 at a time, and there was no problem. If she said she needs more than that in Manila then there is a problem.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.