Maryfran

Joint sponsor and tax returns (urgent) (merged)

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

My husband didn't work while he was in Ireland with me; he did some volunteering, but did not make enough on that to file taxes in Ireland or with the IRS. Here is what he wrote:

To Whom It May Concern:
I am Mr Penguin, Penguin's husband and petitioning sponsor. I did not file an income tax return for the years 2005, 2006 or 2007 because I have not worked during my 3 year residence within the Republic of Ireland. Once I came to Ireland, I was unable to find work and so used savings; I was maintained by my wife upon her income and savings. Since I made no income for these years of any type, I was not required to file an income tax return with the Internal Revenue Service.
Sincerely, Mr Penguin.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Im in that same situation. I was living aboard and didnt work. At the end i had my parents as a joint sponsor. I submitted my I -864 and literally 2 ½ months BAM RFE in my email. The RFE read that why i didnt report taxes and needed to submit a letter of explanations why i didnt file. Its a long explanation why i didnt File, Therefore, i was told to send doc. to NVC and add another sixty -days..Horrible situation because im in the US with both my babies and just fly over seas to visit hubby.

It's not a long explanation of why you didn't file. They aren't asking why you weren't working, just why didn't you file taxes. You didn't work? Fine. You lived off savings? Fine. You went to school? Fine. You worked under tha table and didn't pay taxes? Well maybe not so fine, better file those back taxes. Just write the darn letter saying why you did not file taxes with the IRS concisely as possible (like penguin.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline

Please be careful. You are trying to convince us that he didn't earn money. He did. If he was paid with chickens, free room and board or cash, the U.S. government understands that something was earned and it is subject to taxation if the value is greater than 90k. Regardless he has to file. Just because it was here and there and under the table, that is an issue for the Italian government. If either of you go to an interview and try to convince a case officer that he didn't work or get paid in some form, you will set off alarm bells and get flagged for fraud. You just need to do a couple of very easy things and get approved.

Please be careful. You are trying to convince us that he didn't earn money. He did. If he was paid with chickens, free room and board or cash, the U.S. government understands that something was earned and it is subject to taxation if the value is greater than 90k. Regardless he has to file. Just because it was here and there and under the table, that is an issue for the Italian government. If either of you go to an interview and try to convince a case officer that he didn't work or get paid in some form, you will set off alarm bells and get flagged for fraud. You just need to do a couple of very easy things and get approved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.