Maryfran

Joint sponsor and tax returns (urgent) (merged)

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello everybody,

I would like to know how will it affect my petition because my husband didn't file taxes for 4 years.

We have been abroad all this time and the last tax return is from 2009... He called his consulent and he told him that he doesn't have to file taxes since he was abroad.

Is it true? I read that you have to file taxes even if abroad, I am confused...

Is a letter telling that we were abroad because I had 3 year penalty and having a baby is enough for them to understand what we've been through?

Also My husband is been working for six months in the US, he has an employer letter, checks, and w4 form. He does reach the 125% level but we are scared that because his job is recent we are gonna need a joint sponsor.

What do you say? Is it safe to have a joint sponsor in any case?

Thank you for answering me

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Well it sounds like whatever CPA he talked to needs to relearn some things. You DO have to file taxes from abroad if you make over $20k a year, but I believe $90k can be tax free for those living abroad. However, he still needs to file if it was over $20k/year. He'll just need to backfile, which shouldn't take long according to other users on here.

And with his current income, six months isn't too recent, so you should be able to include paystubs to show for his income now, I'd say.

Myself: US citizen; Husband: German citizen

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.
-Third ESTA denied due to his suspiscious visa status on Oct. 15, 2012.
-B-2 tourist visa approved on Nov. 16, 2012!

(IR-1 Journey):

-Extended German residence permit obtained Aug. 23, 2014. (to qualify for DCF)

-Husband's new German passport picked up Aug. 28, 2014. (Old one expires 2015)

-I-130 packet sent to Frankfurt (DCF) Aug. 29, 2014!

-NOA1 issued Sept. 9, 2014 (received Sept.13)

-RFE regarding evidence of bona fide marriage received along with NOA1

-RFE reply packet sent to Frankfurt Sept. 30, 2014

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Paper NOA2 received in the mail Oct. 29, 2014

-Case number assigned by IV unit Oct. 30, 2014 (Received by email Nov. 3)

-Paper "Packet 3" arrived in mail Nov. 4, 2014

-DS-260 and Document Delivery Registration submitted to Frankfurt Nov. 4, 2014

-Mailed in priority date request found on Packet 3 to IV Unit Nov. 5, 2014

-IV ("Packet 3") package sent to Frankfurt Nov. 17, 2014

-Medical completed by Frankfurt panel physician Nov. 17, 2014

-Received "Packet 4" via e-mail Nov. 20, 2014

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014
:dance:

-Visa packet arrived in the mail Dec. 4, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Corrected visa packet received in the mail Dec. 11, 2014

-$165 Immigrant fee paid Dec. 11, 2014

-POE (through Dublin, Ireland) Jan. 18, 2015

-Registered manually for social security Jan. 27, 2015

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If he made under the threashold, then he needs to provide a statement saying so, and explaining why he does not need to file taxes.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

The only way for there to be nothing to declare is if there was no money being made. He'll have to file for those tax years unless he was unemployed or made under $20k/year.

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.

(IR-1 Journey):

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

He has to file, even if the US income was zero. Like me, who is living in Canada with my hubby for the past 3 years. You should report foreign earned income on form 2555. If you made less than 90k, then you don't have to pay USA taxes.

Timeline

Well if he was truly unemployed or earned under the threshold for a certain tax year then, no, they aren't required to file. They'd attach a written explanation why they didn't have to file, like I had to.

(B-2 Journey):

(IR-1 Journey):

kXYGp1.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

So he should write a letter saying that he was unemployed and didn't need to file for taxes. Or Irs has to give us a statement? I am confused. He didn't earn anything. Just cash.

He either earned cash or didn't earned anything. Cash isn't anything, working and not paying taxes is illegal.

Timeline

I asked you if he was unemployed meaning working. Whether it's official or under the table, an income is an income. Sounds like he just wasn't paying taxes, but was working nonetheless.

(B-2 Journey):

(IR-1 Journey):

kXYGp1.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.