Mrs. DK

Document translation?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

May I ask if you're Japanese? I actually looked at the US embassy site here in Japan. The thing is that, I'm not Japanese, I was born in the Philippines, but I am a Japanese descendant and have been living in Japan at a very young age, before I was even 16, so this is the main reason why I have to get my police certificate here. Since I was not born here, I was wondering that maybe there might be difference? I know that it does say on their site that notarizing is not necessary.

No, I am not Japanese. I am not sure what you are asking here. Maybe there might be a difference in what? You do not have to pay someone to translate your documents. A third party paid translator is not required. You were told by someone above that it is, and I was clearing up that bit of misinformation.

If you do not feel comfortable doing translations yourself, then ask someone you know that is fluent in both languages as well to do it for you. Have the person that translates the document add on that certification that they are fluent in both languages and the translation is accurate. Have them translate the document word for word and as close to the original layout as possible.

Is the translation you need for a police certificate from the Philippines? The Japanese certificates are sealed and you are not supposed to open them.

Note:

• Japanese Police Certificates are sealed. If the seal is broken, the certificate is no longer valid. Do not open the certificate prior to submission to the Embassy/Consulate or the NVC.

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-ivinterviewcheck2.html

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Really appreciate your help! So the requirement is that it has to be a certified traslator? Doesn't have to be an attorney or an attorney's confirmation as well right? Thanks again!

Not quite; Anyone with the language skills can do it; it just needs to attest to it with an statement (which you can find here in VJ) stating that the person is fluent and able in both languages. It can be you if you have enough fluency in both languages

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi everyone! I need to get my police certificate translated. Although it only says that the document has to come with a certified translation, can it be anyone? Or does the translator has to be a certified translator as well? I know I can't do it my self, but can it be a family member? Do I need some kind of attorney or something to sign it etc.? I still cannot contact them to ask these questions :(.

Hi there, I'm a Japanese citizen living in Japan now. I'm pretty sure the police certificate from Japan are already translated to English. I mean you are not supposed to open the envelop or it will be invalid. It says on the envelop that "to be opened by the addressee only"- "To : The Authorities Concerned United States of America( Content:Police Certificate)." So you won't need the translation for it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

yeah man. i had to pay almost 150 dollar to get translated my birth certificate in english,NVC send me the list, where in they wrote,, READ CAREFULLY AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTION. summit all the paper translated in english only through certfied translater,

Police report and Birth certficate are very important for your process, i would advice get it translated through CERTIFIED translator, Do not give them a reason to delay your case.

best of luck.

That comment was referring to what I've been told legally- from my own attorneys and from what I've researched online within attorney websites & a few different consulate websites (which just because it's not from USCIS doesn't mean that it isn't sound advice). Just because USCIS doesn't say it specifically doesn't mean it's recommended... especially if the country's consulates require differently. USCIS wouldn't know that. Whatever way you put it, some attorneys don't recommend it. Maybe it can be done, but it might not be recommended.. especially based on different consulates. That's my point.

OP, it's up to you. But like I said, I'd play it safe. If you don't want a professional, ask someone you know who is skilled to do translation. If you ask just anyone, it's possible to have problems with the translation and delay your application. Good luck!

Hi. I as well as many other people on this thread have translated my own documents and had no RFE. Lawyers are people too and sometimes they make you feel stupid so that you can depend on them. That's how they make their money.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

No, actually. Our one lawyer is a family friend and incredibly competent. We actually have 2.. One is a family friend and one isn't. Both have been doing immigration for a long time and actually gave us huge discounts. Of course they get paid well for what they do, but they weren't just "telling us that for the money". They aren't getting paid for certified translations so it's a foolish thing to say that they would be telling us false info not pertaining to them in order to get money. Especially if you don't know the lawyers or our situation. (Not all of them are bad :) )

Anyway it's not just my lawyers. PLENTY don't recommend it. I honestly think it's great if you translated your own docs, but that's YOUR consulate and YOUR situation. I don't think it's recommended for everyone, so I personally wouldn't do it. I don't advise solely on my own opinion, but of people who have done this for years and experienced different things; of people who advise for a living, and of our consulate's rules.

As I and one other person recommended it's good to have someone who is SKILLED and certified because it doesn't matter about a RFE. If it gets in the hands of a strict consulate & doesn't have a certified translation, the application will get delayed. I didn't say you HAVE to pay someone but that you MAY have to if it's a certified person. I would recommend someone who can do translation for sure though. It's not worth the risk. Doesn't mean it's not possible (as I KNOW some of you have done), but if it's a potential problem, why not play it safe and ask someone who does it all the time? Could be a friend or acquaintance!

I'm personally glad I had a certified translator do it. We are fluent in both and would never trust ourselves enough to do it alone. Translation can be tricky! If you feel competent enough & want to, & your consulate is okay with it, then go for it.

Good luck to you MrsDk! So sorry that you guys have such little time. Have any friends that do translation? We have a few missionary friends that do, so if came down to it we'd ask them. :)

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/2/14- I-129F form sent
♥ 10/3/14- USCIS received I-129F
♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
4/24/15- NOA2 [6.5 months; 199 days]
♥ 5/11/15- NVC received & case number assigned
5/13/15- NVC left
5/14/15- Consulate received & ready for interview
6/15/15- Interview- APPROVED!!

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

7/14/15- Marriage (Civil)

AOS

7/20/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent together

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

8/31/15- Expedited AP document (all in one day)

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

9/30/15- Received EAD/AP combo card

11/20/15- AOS NOA2 (no interview)

11/25/15- Green card received! Woohoo!!!

"Can my fiance(e) visit on VWP while awaiting K-1 visa?"
Check out our recent experience coming through JFK on VWP here!

*Fellow Ecuamerican couples: All info you need to know--

Concise post NOA-2 steps, advice, & consulate info here!*

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

No, I am not Japanese. I am not sure what you are asking here. Maybe there might be a difference in what? You do not have to pay someone to translate your documents. A third party paid translator is not required. You were told by someone above that it is, and I was clearing up that bit of misinformation.

If you do not feel comfortable doing translations yourself, then ask someone you know that is fluent in both languages as well to do it for you. Have the person that translates the document add on that certification that they are fluent in both languages and the translation is accurate. Have them translate the document word for word and as close to the original layout as possible.

Is the translation you need for a police certificate from the Philippines? The Japanese certificates are sealed and you are not supposed to open them.

Note:

• Japanese Police Certificates are sealed. If the seal is broken, the certificate is no longer valid. Do not open the certificate prior to submission to the Embassy/Consulate or the NVC.
http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-ivinterviewcheck2.html
I was wondering if it's going to be different from country to country depending on where you were born. I was born in the Philippines but a Japanese descendant and grew up in Japan, so I'd have to get my police certificate here in Japan. I was thinking that maybe the requirements are different because I was not born in Japan, despite living here almost all my life. Edited by Mrs. DK

Timeline

Hi there, I'm a Japanese citizen living in Japan now. I'm pretty sure the police certificate from Japan are already translated to English. I mean you are not supposed to open the envelop or it will be invalid. It says on the envelop that "to be opened by the addressee only"- "To : The Authorities Concerned United States of America( Content:Police Certificate)." So you won't need the translation for it.

Thanks for letting me know. I called them today and I was glad to find out that they will provide it in English, but I didn't know that the envelope will be sealed. On the site, it says I need to provide a photocopy with the original. I can just ask the police station to make a copy for me right? If I'm not allowed to open it and make a copy.

Timeline

yeah man. i had to pay almost 150 dollar to get translated my birth certificate in english,NVC send me the list, where in they wrote,, READ CAREFULLY AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTION. summit all the paper translated in english only through certfied translater,

Police report and Birth certficate are very important for your process, i would advice get it translated through CERTIFIED translator, Do not give them a reason to delay your case.

best of luck.

You received this e-mail from NVC? I don't think I got an e-mail stating that it has to be a certified translator.

Timeline

No, actually. Our one lawyer is a family friend and incredibly competent. We actually have 2.. One is a family friend and one isn't. Both have been doing immigration for a long time and actually gave us huge discounts. Of course they get paid well for what they do, but they weren't just "telling us that for the money". They aren't getting paid for certified translations so it's a foolish thing to say that they would be telling us false info not pertaining to them in order to get money. Especially if you don't know the lawyers or our situation. (Not all of them are bad :) )

Anyway it's not just my lawyers. PLENTY don't recommend it. I honestly think it's great if you translated your own docs, but that's YOUR consulate and YOUR situation. I don't think it's recommended for everyone, so I personally wouldn't do it. I don't advise solely on my own opinion, but of people who have done this for years and experienced different things; of people who advise for a living, and of our consulate's rules.

As I and one other person recommended it's good to have someone who is SKILLED and certified because it doesn't matter about a RFE. If it gets in the hands of a strict consulate & doesn't have a certified translation, the application will get delayed. I didn't say you HAVE to pay someone but that you MAY have to if it's a certified person. I would recommend someone who can do translation for sure though. It's not worth the risk. Doesn't mean it's not possible (as I KNOW some of you have done), but if it's a potential problem, why not play it safe and ask someone who does it all the time? Could be a friend or acquaintance!

I'm personally glad I had a certified translator do it. We are fluent in both and would never trust ourselves enough to do it alone. Translation can be tricky! If you feel competent enough & want to, & your consulate is okay with it, then go for it.

Good luck to you MrsDk! So sorry that you guys have such little time. Have any friends that do translation? We have a few missionary friends that do, so if came down to it we'd ask them. :)

Thanks for your help, and everyone! This site is a big help, especially when NVC cannot answer my questions for me. From what I know, they will provide me an English one, so hopefully it'll all work out! Thanks again!

Filed: Other Timeline

Any document that needs translation should be done by a certified firm that is accepted in almost all the regions of the world. Translation Excellence Inc. is one such company that provides certified translation services for over 135 languages. The company has well qualified employees to solve any issues related to translation. You can take a look at the Following Press Release that speaks more about this company. Click here

Edited by jamessteves

• 3 years later...
On 12/1/2014 at 11:46 PM, Mrs. DK said:

Hi everyone! I need to get my police certificate translated. Although it only says that the document has to come with a certified translation, can it be anyone? Or does the translator has to be a certified translator as well? I know I can't do it my self, but can it be a family member? Do I need some kind of attorney or something to sign it etc.? I still cannot contact them to ask these questions :(.

This article will answer your question on the USCIS Translation : https://promisetranslation.com/uscis-birth-certificate-translation/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.