Mrs. DK

Document translation?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi everyone! I need to get my police certificate translated. Although it only says that the document has to come with a certified translation, can it be anyone? Or does the translator has to be a certified translator as well? I know I can't do it my self, but can it be a family member? Do I need some kind of attorney or something to sign it etc.? I still cannot contact them to ask these questions :(.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Any translated document needs to be done by a certified translator. If you have an attorney, that could be someone fluent in that language in their office (our documents were translated by a certified translator in our attorney's office; she had to sign a document that stated that she has passed proficiency in both languages and is certified to translate the document). But no, you can't ask a family member to do it. It'll cost you money, but they need to make sure the translation has been done by someone who has been approved for that purpose.

Good luck!

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/2/14- I-129F form sent
♥ 10/3/14- USCIS received I-129F
♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
4/24/15- NOA2 [6.5 months; 199 days]
♥ 5/11/15- NVC received & case number assigned
5/13/15- NVC left
5/14/15- Consulate received & ready for interview
6/15/15- Interview- APPROVED!!

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

7/14/15- Marriage (Civil)

AOS

7/20/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent together

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

8/31/15- Expedited AP document (all in one day)

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

9/30/15- Received EAD/AP combo card

11/20/15- AOS NOA2 (no interview)

11/25/15- Green card received! Woohoo!!!

"Can my fiance(e) visit on VWP while awaiting K-1 visa?"
Check out our recent experience coming through JFK on VWP here!

*Fellow Ecuamerican couples: All info you need to know--

Concise post NOA-2 steps, advice, & consulate info here!*

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

Timeline

Any translated document needs to be done by a certified translator. If you have an attorney, that could be someone fluent in that language in their office (our documents were translated by a certified translator in our attorney's office; she had to sign a document that stated that she has passed proficiency in both languages and is certified to translate the document). But no, you can't ask a family member to do it. It'll cost you money, but they need to make sure the translation has been done by someone who has been approved for that purpose.

Good luck!

Really appreciate your help! So the requirement is that it has to be a certified traslator? Doesn't have to be an attorney or an attorney's confirmation as well right? Thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Translation Requirements

All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations and submitted to the NVC. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that the:

Translation is accurate, and

Translator is competent to translate.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html

The person above is mistaken. You do not have to pay a third party translator. Anyone fluent in both languages can provide the translation, including yourself, friends or family members. They just need to add a statement that they are competent to translate. You can use the same certification the USCIS accepts. Have the person that translates add this to the translated document > http://www.visajourney.com/content/translations

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Translation Requirements

All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations and submitted to the NVC. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that the:

Translation is accurate, and

Translator is competent to translate.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html

The person above is mistaken. You do not have to pay a third party translator. Anyone fluent in both languages can provide the translation, including yourself, friends or family members. They just need to add a statement that they are competent to translate. You can use the same certification the USCIS accepts. Have the person that translates add this to the translated document > http://www.visajourney.com/content/translations

Actually, yes, sometimes you do have to pay to get someone who is certified. In Ecuador to get things translated by someone who is certified, you have to pay a few bucks to get that done. Like I said, our lawyer's office did it for free (because, well, it was probably included in all of our fees), but that's not always the case.

But besides that, our laywer recommended that any translations be done by an unrelated third party. Especially as sometimes the "competent to translate" has gray areas... Besides, if just anyone can translate, what does 'certified' even mean then? How does one know if they're 'competent'? Doesn't make sense to me, and that's not what we were advised legally.

Edited by lovecometruex

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
5/13/15- NVC left

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

AOS

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

Timeline

"If you are applying for a visa, green card, or other U.S. immigration benefit, you will no doubt be asked to submit various documents -- perhaps your birth certificate, marriage certificate, and so on. However, if the documents you are submitting are in a language other than English, you may need to have them translated. (The exception would be if you are dealing with a U.S consulate in your home country that specifically assures you that it accepts documents in the language of that country.

If a translation is required, here is how to deal with this.

What Your Translation Must Include

You will need to submit both:

• a copy of the original document, and

• a certified, word-for-word translation.

A copy of the original document is needed to demonstrate that it's the real thing. Even if the immigration authorities can't read what it says, they need to see what it looks like, and compare it to their internal guidelines regarding what constitutes an acceptable document from your country. If, for example, it is missing the government stamps that the immigration officials are accustomed to seeing on such a certificate, it might be rejected.

A "word-for-word" translation is just what it sounds like: Not a summary, but an exact transcription of every word on the document, even if they seem irrelevant.

Who Should Do the Translation

You do not necessarily need to spend money hiring a certified translator. Any trustworthy friend who is fluent in English and the language of the document and is not your close relative is allowed to do the job. That person should, after typing out the (word-for-word) translated text, add the following language at the bottom:

I certify that I am competent to translate from [the language of the document] to English and that the above [identify the document and to whom it pertains; for example, “Birth Certificate of Maritza Malakoff”] is a correct and true translation to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Signed: [translator’s full name]

Address: __________________________________

Telephone: ________________________________

Date: _____________________________________

If you prefer, however, you can hire a professional translator. That person should also add the same certification at the bottom of the translation.

by: Ilona Bray, J.D."

Our lawyers also stated in an email that our relatives should not do it, and that we couldn't do it, either. I personally wouldn't recommend someone who isn't qualified or certified to do language translation. But that's just me.

Good luck!

Edit: This was the source: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/fiance-marriage-visa-book/chapter4-14.html

Also.. re-edit: With some research, I notice that some country's consulates do require the English translation to "endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated." (as one I saw for Austrailia). So it's good to play it safe. You don't need to necessarily pay for a professional, but at least someone who is skilled and qualified to do translation.

Also, check this out : http://www.***removed***/immigration/document-english-translation.html

Another reason you should have a good translator is for the last "tip" on there... Sometimes if the translation is bad, it can delay the process.

Edited by lovecometruex

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
5/13/15- NVC left

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

AOS

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

Timeline

Don't know why I can't post this link..? But the website doesn't allow me to copy & paste. Basically it says petitioner/beneficiary can't translate their own docs.

***removed***. com/immigration/document-english-translation.html

Edited by lovecometruex

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
5/13/15- NVC left

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

AOS

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

Timeline

The person was asking about documents sent to the NVC, since this is the NVC forum. What I quoted above is what is required for translations for the NVC. Some consulates may have different instructions for translations they will accept.

Your attorney may have told you that all translations need to be done by a third party, but it is not so. Many people have done translations themselves or had friends or family members do it. My husband translated his own birth certificate for his AOS. You can do a search here on VJ about it and find many threads on this topic. The USCIS lists this policy on their website and includes that certification I posted a link to. It is about halfway down this page > http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

Find me something from the Dept. of State, the USCIS, or INA code that states it must be a third party and not simply anyone competent to do the translation. Show me something that states a close relative may not do it, and I mean official, not Nolo.com.

I personally suggest people save their money and do it themselves or have someone fluent in both languages do the translation because it is acceptable to sign the certification stating you are fluent, and people do it all the time using the certification statement the USCIS provides. You are 'certified' if you are fluent in both and competent to do the translation.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

The person was asking about documents sent to the NVC, since this is the NVC forum. What I quoted above is what is required for translations for the NVC. Some consulates may have different instructions for translations they will accept.

Your attorney may have told you that all translations need to be done by a third party, but it is not so. Many people have done translations themselves or had friends or family members do it. My husband translated his own birth certificate for his AOS. You can do a search here on VJ about it and find many threads on this topic. The USCIS lists this policy on their website and includes that certification I posted a link to. It is about halfway down this page > http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

Find me something from the Dept. of State, the USCIS, or INA code that states it must be a third party and not simply anyone competent to do the translation. Show me something that states a close relative may not do it, and I mean official, not Nolo.com.

I personally suggest people save their money and do it themselves or have someone fluent in both languages do the translation because it is acceptable to sign the certification stating you are fluent, and people do it all the time using the certification statement the USCIS provides. You are 'certified' if you are fluent in both and competent to do the translation.

I tried to post other websites, but VJ kept removing the link.

People say stuff like that all the time like it's all different experiences. After NVC it goes to the consulate, so they should be pretty similiar in what you're submitting. It would be pointless to submit two totally different documents if the consulate requires a certified translation.

That's great that your husband was able to do it, but that's not the case for every single person, so why would you risk it? Like I said, it doesn't need to be a professional necessarily, but YOU are not supposed to do it as the beneficiary or petitioner, and neither is family.

Sorry, but I take legal advice more seriously than VJ users. :P Better to play it safe than sorry!

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
5/13/15- NVC left

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

AOS

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

Timeline

I was not giving legal advice at all, nor was I advising you personally. I was answering the OP who posted this question. I was clearing up misinformation you posted. Translations do not need to be done by a third party. It was not only my husband that successfully translated his own, or a friend or family member doing it. Again, search here on VJ for plenty of other people stating they had no problems doing it. I am not going to bother looking up posts.

Official sources, not nolo or ***removed***. Those are not the immigration laws/rules/instructions directly from the DoS, USCIS, or Immigration and Nationality Act. Where are the official sources that state the petitioner and beneficiary cannot translate their own documents? Or close relatives, as was mentioned from Nolo. Those sites have no official sources listed to back up what they are stating there. I will take the DoS and USCIS sites over third party, non-official sites anytime.

Here is what it asks for on the Tokyo consulate site too. Does not state a third party is needed. Does not state it cannot be the petitioner or beneficiary. Does not state it cannot be a close relative. It basically mimics the DoS site info I posted above>

English translations of all foreign language documents are required. Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct. The translator must certify that he/she is competent to translate the foreign language into English. It is not necessary to have the translation notarized.

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-ivinterviewcheck2.html

Timeline

I was not giving legal advice at all, nor was I advising you personally. I was answering the OP who posted this question. I was clearing up misinformation you posted. Translations do not need to be done by a third party. It was not only my husband that successfully translated his own, or a friend or family member doing it. Again, search here on VJ for plenty of other people stating they had no problems doing it. I am not going to bother looking up posts.

Official sources, not nolo or ***removed***. Those are not the immigration laws/rules/instructions directly from the DoS, USCIS, or Immigration and Nationality Act. Where are the official sources that state the petitioner and beneficiary cannot translate their own documents? Or close relatives, as was mentioned from Nolo. Those sites have no official sources listed to back up what they are stating there. I will take the DoS and USCIS sites over third party, non-official sites anytime.

Here is what it asks for on the Tokyo consulate site too. Does not state a third party is needed. Does not state it cannot be the petitioner or beneficiary. Does not state it cannot be a close relative. It basically mimics the DoS site info I posted above>

English translations of all foreign language documents are required. Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct. The translator must certify that he/she is competent to translate the foreign language into English. It is not necessary to have the translation notarized.

That comment was referring to what I've been told legally- from my own attorneys and from what I've researched online within attorney websites & a few different consulate websites (which just because it's not from USCIS doesn't mean that it isn't sound advice). Just because USCIS doesn't say it specifically doesn't mean it's recommended... especially if the country's consulates require differently. USCIS wouldn't know that. Whatever way you put it, some attorneys don't recommend it. Maybe it can be done, but it might not be recommended.. especially based on different consulates. That's my point.

OP, it's up to you. But like I said, I'd play it safe. If you don't want a professional, ask someone you know who is skilled to do translation. If you ask just anyone, it's possible to have problems with the translation and delay your application. Good luck!

Edited by lovecometruex

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
5/13/15- NVC left

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

AOS

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

Timeline

"If you are applying for a visa, green card, or other U.S. immigration benefit, you will no doubt be asked to submit various documents -- perhaps your birth certificate, marriage certificate, and so on. However, if the documents you are submitting are in a language other than English, you may need to have them translated. (The exception would be if you are dealing with a U.S consulate in your home country that specifically assures you that it accepts documents in the language of that country.

If a translation is required, here is how to deal with this.What Your Translation Must Include

You will need to submit both:

a copy of the original document, and

a certified, word-for-word translation.

A copy of the original document is needed to demonstrate that it's the real thing. Even if the immigration authorities can't read what it says, they need to see what it looks like, and compare it to their internal guidelines regarding what constitutes an acceptable document from your country. If, for example, it is missing the government stamps that the immigration officials are accustomed to seeing on such a certificate, it might be rejected.

A "word-for-word" translation is just what it sounds like: Not a summary, but an exact transcription of every word on the document, even if they seem irrelevant.Who Should Do the Translation

You do not necessarily need to spend money hiring a certified translator. Any trustworthy friend who is fluent in English and the language of the document and is not your close relative is allowed to do the job. That person should, after typing out the (word-for-word) translated text, add the following language at the bottom:

I certify that I am competent to translate from [the language of the document] to English and that the above [identify the document and to whom it pertains; for example, Birth Certificate of Maritza Malakoff] is a correct and true translation to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Signed: [translators full name]

Address: __________________________________

Telephone: ________________________________

Date: _____________________________________

If you prefer, however, you can hire a professional translator. That person should also add the same certification at the bottom of the translation.

by: Ilona Bray, J.D."

Our lawyers also stated in an email that our relatives should not do it, and that we couldn't do it, either. I personally wouldn't recommend someone who isn't qualified or certified to do language translation. But that's just me.

Good luck!

Edit: This was the source: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/fiance-marriage-visa-book/chapter4-14.html

Also.. re-edit: With some research, I notice that some country's consulates do require the English translation to "endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated." (as one I saw for Austrailia). So it's good to play it safe. You don't need to necessarily pay for a professional, but at least someone who is skilled and qualified to do translation.

Also, check this out : http://www.***removed***/immigration/document-english-translation.html

Another reason you should have a good translator is for the last "tip" on there... Sometimes if the translation is bad, it can delay the process.

Thank you for your advice. I did read somewhere that you shouldn't trasnlate your own documents. This might not be true, but I think I'll just find someone else just to make sure, since we are running out of time. We lost almost 2 months because of an e-mail ending up in my husband's junk mail :/.

Edited by Mrs. DK

Timeline

May I ask if you're Japanese? I actually looked at the US embassy site here in Japan. The thing is that, I'm not Japanese, I was born in the Philippines, but I am a Japanese descendant and have been living in Japan at a very young age, before I was even 16, so this is the main reason why I have to get my police certificate here. Since I was not born here, I was wondering that maybe there might be difference? I know that it does say on their site that notarizing is not necessary. Edited by Mrs. DK

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I translated everything by myself for my AOS and signed it by myself. Had no problem not RFE nothing.

Everything fine with USCIS

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

I am the petitioner and I translated all important documents from Spanish to English and had no problem. I even translated the police certificate word for word even added the photo.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.