rachelnyc04

Interview scheduled - how long for passport/visa?

11 posts in this topic

Hello - I am petitioning for my husband (British) to get his green card. He will attend an interview at the London embassy on 17-Dec - annoyingly the medical results were held up for nearly a month waiting for further information from a former doctor on a 10-year-old skin cancer diagnosis.

Anyway this now puts us very close to the Christmas holidays and as we have already bought a house in the US my husband is here in the US on "holiday", returning to London for the interview and currently has travel booked to return to US on 22-Dec.

My questions are:

(1) what is the typical wait time from interview date until visa in hand? He will opt to pick it up from a DX depot location in London rather than home delivery.

(2) do they hand bank your passport on the day of the interview? Or is this one of the items which is returned in the larger package

(3) would they deliver the package to a US address if asked instead so he could return to US on his other passport if needed (Australia) and of course he'd have to leave the country and come back in another time for the POE package to be approved upon entry

Basically am getting very concerned that he will miss his first Christmas here with our first born son. He's had a green card before (6 years ago) and it was a much simpler process then in Switzerland. He also has employment due to begin 12-Jan pending this approval!

Thanks for any help and advice

Edited by rachelnyc04

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Husband and K1?

Surely some mistake?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I am just addiing that I noticed the summary for IR-1 visas provided through the forum and it seems clear that the passport is retained. It would still be great to know if they ever deliver to US addresses allowing my husband to return here to the US for Christmas

It will be much easier if you have Christmas with him and the baby whenever her gets there. December 25 is only a calendar date and baby can't read yet. Save the presents and photo ops for a special morning a few days late.

Your other convoluted plan isn't viable really. I would say it is possible to get it by Dec 23 or 24, but you can't count on it.

EDIT: I just read your post again. Why don't you just delay the interview and he stays through Christmas?

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

It will be much easier if you have Christmas with him and the baby whenever her gets there. December 25 is only a calendar date and baby can't read yet. Save the presents and photo ops for a special morning a few days late.

Your other convoluted plan isn't viable really. I would say it is possible to get it by Dec 23 or 24, but you can't count on it.

EDIT: I just read your post again. Why don't you just delay the interview and he stays through Christmas?

My fiance's interview is also Dec 17th.....with the embassy closed 12/25 and 12/26 what do you think the chances are that he will have his visa by 12/30????

My fiance's interview is also Dec 17th.....with the embassy closed 12/25 and 12/26 what do you think the chances are that he will have his visa by 12/30????

It is ALL a guess. Some have gotten them 3 days after interview, or 5 days, two weeks, or 2-10 months in the case of those who got in the drawn out AP for security checks. Given the holidays and all the other gift packages delivered this time of year, I would guess slower than average...whatever average is right now.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

As an update for those who are in the same boat - my husband had his interview this morning and was approved after a 5 minute conversation and an hour or so document check. They have his UK passport in hand and the status on the CEAC website says Admin Processing which I understand is typical for the days after approval and before issuance. The website says they are issued within 2 business days if there are no follow up requirements but from what I've read on here it sounds like that varies.

He did ask the consular officer who said about 5-10 days wait is more typical right now.

In any case, one big step down and one more to go!

You can see our timeline listed below.

Hope it helps! :)

I-129F Process

Package Sent: 06/04/2014
Accepted (NOA1): 06/12/2014
Alien Reg. # Changed: 06/16/2014
Petition Approved (NOA2): 08/21/2014
Arrived at Consulate: 09/12/2014
DS160 Completed: 10/07/2014
Readiness: 10/07/2014
Medical: 10/08/2014
Interview: 12/09/2014 - APPROVED!
- CEAC Change to NonImmigrant - 12/10/2014
- CEAC Changed to AP - 12/11/2014
- CEAC Changed to Issued - 12/12/2014
Passport/Visa Received: 12/17/2014
POE: 12/22/2014 Chicago
Wedding: 02/03/2015

Our beautiful baby girl was born via csection January 10th 2015.

AOS Process

Mailed I-485, I-131 and I-765: 07/24/2015
Packet Delivered: 07/27/2015
Electronic NOA: 07/30/2015
Check Cashed: 07/31/2015
NOA1's Hardcopies Received: 08/04/2015
Biometrics Appt: 08/18/2015

EAD/AP Approved: 10/02/2015

- Card Ordered: 10/02/2015

- Approval Mailed: 10/06/2015

- Approval Received: 10/07/2015

- Combo Card Received: 10/08/2015

Interview: No Interview or VW
AOS Decision: Approved 01/30/2016

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had a bank holiday in between and it took 8 days to get my visa, passport, and BBE. I imagine with the two holidays, plus new year it may take 10 days. Again, every case is different! I know someone who interviewed on same day as me and got their passport back within 4 days

I should add, I picked mine up from depot. I think around the holidays this may speed things up slightly.

Edited by jptl85
Spoiler

K1 Journey:
2nd Jan 2014: I-129F Package Sent to USCIS (TSC)
8th Jan 2014: Check Cashed
13th Jan 2014: NOA1 (Hard Copy)
13th Jan 2014: Alien Registration Number Changed
28th Feb 2014: NOA2 (Online)
6th Mar 2014: NOA2 (Hard Copy)
11th Mar 2014: Sent to NVC
31st Mar 2014: Received at London Embassy
3rd Apr 2014: Packet 3 received
8th Apr 2014: Packet 3 sent
17th Apr 2014: Medical / 24th Apr 2014: Medical Sent to Embassy / 25th Apr 2014: Medical Logged by Embassy
30th Apr 2014: Interview Letter Received
19th May 2014: Interview (Approved)
21st May 2014: Visa Issued / 27th May 2014: Visa in Hand
16th June 2014: POE Chicago
30th Jun: Wedding!
25th Jul: AOS / EAD / AP Sent
15th Aug: Check Cashed
19th Aug: NOA1 Hard Copies Received (I-485, I-131, I-765)
29th Aug: Biometrics Letter Received 12th Sep: Biometrics Completed
20th Sep: NOA2 - EAD/AP Approved
22nd Sep: AOS moved to 'Testing and Interview'
25th Sep: EAD/AP Mailed & Tracking Number Provided (at 8.30pm)
27th Sep: EAD/AP Card Received in Mail
11th Nov: Interview Letter Received
17th Dec: Interview - APPROVED
17th Dec: Card in Production
17th Dec: Welcome Letter Mailed / 22nd Dec: Welcome Letter Received / 26th Dec: Green Card Received

16th Sep 2016: ROC Package Mailed to VSC

19 Sep: NOA 1 (Received in mail on 24 Sep)

21 Sep: Check Cashed

06 Oct: Biometrics Letter Received

18 Oct: Biometrics Appt

24 Aug 2017: I-751 Approved

28 Aug: Approval Letter Received

8 Sep: Card in Production

13 Sep: Card Mailed / 15 Sep: Card Received 

18 Sep: N-400 Sent via Mail to Dallas, TX / 20 Sep: NOA 1 / 21 Sep: Payment Cashed / 28 Sep: NOA 1 in Mail

6 Oct: Letter for Biometrics Received / 16 Oct: Biometrics Appt

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this in case it helps someone else! My husband was approved on interview day 17-December at the London Embassy and was marked "Issued" on the website as of 18-December - but despite daily calls to the courier they had not yet received it by the 22-Dec so hubby took his return flight to the US on his Australian passport for Christmas. The package was finally mailed to a friend in the UK along with the UK passport (the one used for the application all along) on 31-Dec who then overnighted it to us in the US for receipt 2-Jan. Hubby flew to Toronto for the day 3-Jan for purposes of re-entry and after 5 hours of flight delays for snow, is finally back and visa is stamped. Very thankful this is done!!

Also just a point of advice if anyone is hoping to mail it to a friend - although you register for this service via the official courier website as indicated in the interview instructions, you still need to provide that person with a signed letter of authorization to receive the package in the exact name as shown on their photo ID as they will be asked for it.

And that's it! Good luck everyone else in your journeys :):thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.