Transborderwife

I'm (hopefully) going to be a stepmom...nervous!

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations!

No matter where your step daughter lives you are her stepmother.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Hubs is always my daughter's step-dad. He tries his best.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is all anyone can do.

My husband became a step father to 4 they were older 8-16. Not an easy thing to do.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Congratulations for the pregnancy!

It's nice to hear from people that have experienced this. My fiance has a 10 year old daughter, and that along with being in a LDR sure does add challenges to a relationship. For now her and I get along really well, but we only see each other every few months and chat once in a while on Facebook. As all of you have said I'm not looking to replace her mother, I just want to be her friend and hopefully have a positive influence in her life. The tough part is not over stepping boundaries, I give my opinion only if he seeks it, and am as supportive as i can be. But I know that once we live together and have our own children it will be harder... but I know we will do our best.

Transborderwife keep us posted about your step daughter.. it must be so stressful right now. Wish you the best.

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)

my thoughts to you as a Step-Parent is to never think of her as your step-daughter but as your daughter. This is especially important with the future 1/2 sibling. It is all about your mindset and showing equal love and discipline (when needed).

Edited by Dave-n-Oksana

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

So newest update: we have one very happy daddy! He has temporary custody until the next cort hearing. His ex wife has filed a motion to move out of state (properly this time) and his lawyer will be filing a motion for full custody and costs. The end is in sight. He didn't feel that there was enough to grant some custody immediately and is giving the ex a chance to get her sht together for lack of better term. Because she's been with the mother for so long it's kind of a trial period.

The hardest part today was her asking where her grandma was. He explained that she went to heaven to visit Nana (great great grandma). She hasn't quite grasped the concept as she has asked a couple more times but she's still young.

We haven't told about the baby yet, waiting to get past the 10 week mark first to be sure.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

We hit a snag. Yesterday was a trial management hearing. First off it was very rushed by the judge between adjourning another case. The lawyer didn't even get to present anything associated with necessary proof for custody. His daughter went back to Georgia with her mom. His next visitation weekend is the 26th-29th. We have to meet half way (3 hr drive) to get her and take her back. That takes a total of 6 hours out of his time spent with her. Also he can't pick her up until 7-8pm on the Friday as per work schedule AND he works Saturdays. He's trying to get a new schedule in place so that he actually gets time with her however between health issues and his mom passing away he's had a lot of concession already for time off. Also the mother doesn't work. At all. She lives off of her husband's income as well as child support for her other 3 kids (two are close to adult age)

This isn't all though. After this visit it goes back to the original parenting plan of every other weekend AND we have to pick her up from Georgia, 6 hour drive (12 hr round trip ugh) which will be even harder. It didn't seem to matter that in the original plan she couldn't leave Pinellas county. The judge gave her leniency as this was her first offence. The plan is that this stays in place until they have mediation. If that's doesn't work then they go to trial. However, from what the judge said the most that could come from it is shared custody, not what DH wants as he wants his daughter in school, not online home school as is what's happening now. She has no social skills and it's difficult to see.

Anyways we are pretty upset to say the least as last hearing it seemed like the judge was going to come down hard and honour his request for physical custody.

Edited by Transborderwife

I'm really sorry that you are dealing with this. :( (congrats on the pregnancy, though. :) ) I have a 10 year old stepson. He's from Ireland, but he now lives with us. His mother is back there. I knew that my husband and he were a package deal. At first, when our relationship was brand new, I adored that little boy. But now that I live with him, reality has set in, and while I still adore him, there are good days and bad days. Our situation: I have a 21 year old son, who lives in another state, and a 16 year old daughter, who lives with us and NEVER sees her dad (also in another state, though different than our son's). When my husband and I began talking of marriage, he had full custody of his son, as my stepson's mother signed off on him, legally. We talked about me being a mother to his son, and he being a father figure to my daughter. They have more of a friendly relationship, but not really father/daughter. The stepson and I, however, have more of a mother/son relationship, although I wouldn't be surprised to find out he calls me "the general" behind my back! ;) I'm less lenient than his father is with him.

The biggest issues have revolved around routine, behavior expectations, and chores. After several months, I'm becoming frustrated with his lack of acclimating to a routine with school, homework, and basic stuff like shutting off lights, and flushing the toilet. I've discovered unpleasant personality traits (he lurks and is sneaky. he also habitually lies to his dad, which my husband says he didn't do in Ireland). Together, my husband and I are trying to parent this child, and it's improving. The hardest days were about 3 weeks after they moved here. The "honeymoon" was over, and he was expected to tow the line. As a teacher, I cherish my summers off, but I couldn't wait to get back to work and away from him all day long. That reality made me very sad, and I found myself wishing, at least partially, that he still lived in Ireland with his mother. After the idealism and the romance of being a saving grace to someone else's child wears off, you're left with the reality that these kids are humans with their own distinct personalities, gifts, flaws, frustrations, and joys. With time, I think we will meld into a more cohesive family. I already have "mama bear" tendencies with him. Last night he told my daughter and I at dinner (husband was working late, so I took them out) that 2 years ago Santa didn't bring him anything for Christmas. Nothing, "not even coal." He was with his mother then. I wanted to fly to Ireland and beat her up!! I assured him that Santa will be coming to his home in the US. (for the record, he DID get presents from his dad that year!) From my experience, you HAVE TO enter a relationship like this with eyes wide open. Either you both have the wherewithal to have a close, mother/daughter relationship, or you won't. The key here is, IMHO, that YOU are the instigator as the adult. It's not up to your 6-year old stepdaughter to forge the relationship. Also, while I'm thinking about it: You and your husband MUST be on the same page, with parenting. moreso than when you're both parents to the child. My husband has the power to destroy my relationship and undermine my authority just by saying, "he's MY son." He doesn't do that. Nor do I do it to him with my daughter. We are a much better parenting team than my ex and I were. Ever. That's my $.02 Good luck with the court stuff. I can't imagine the frustrations he (and you too) are going through!

Edited by Tina and Johan

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

Thank you so much for that insight! It helps a great deal.

You're very welcome. :)

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

We hit a snag. Yesterday was a trial management hearing. First off it was very rushed by the judge between adjourning another case. The lawyer didn't even get to present anything associated with necessary proof for custody. His daughter went back to Georgia with her mom. His next visitation weekend is the 26th-29th. We have to meet half way (3 hr drive) to get her and take her back. That takes a total of 6 hours out of his time spent with her. Also he can't pick her up until 7-8pm on the Friday as per work schedule AND he works Saturdays. He's trying to get a new schedule in place so that he actually gets time with her however between health issues and his mom passing away he's had a lot of concession already for time off. Also the mother doesn't work. At all. She lives off of her husband's income as well as child support for her other 3 kids (two are close to adult age)

This isn't all though. After this visit it goes back to the original parenting plan of every other weekend AND we have to pick her up from Georgia, 6 hour drive (12 hr round trip ugh) which will be even harder. It didn't seem to matter that in the original plan she couldn't leave Pinellas county. The judge gave her leniency as this was her first offence. The plan is that this stays in place until they have mediation. If that's doesn't work then they go to trial. However, from what the judge said the most that could come from it is shared custody, not what DH wants as he wants his daughter in school, not online home school as is what's happening now. She has no social skills and it's difficult to see.

Anyways we are pretty upset to say the least as last hearing it seemed like the judge was going to come down hard and honour his request for physical custody.

I'm so sorry to hear this... it must be so devastating especially when you were thinking you would be getting full custody. It's so difficult when you don't have control over a situation like this. I guess all you can really do is be the best wife, step-mother, and mother to your own child, and hope you can have a positive influence on your step daughter's life.

From my personal experience and what I've witnessed with my nieces and nephew as it pertains to step parents is that mo matter our opinion on their parenting, these kids will always have a Mother and a Father. It is not our role or responsibility to be their parent. Our priority should be to support our spouse, and try to build a relationship with the step child and be a positive influence in their lives. I guess what I'm trying to say, or trying to convince myself of (because I'm kind of in a similar situation) is that if we are the best person we know ourselves to be, that is one of the greatest gifts we can give our SO children. Cherish the moments you have with her, turn it into a positive occasion, that will help your husband stay positive as well, which is really what you want for that little girl. She is lucky to have such a caring person in her life.

Best of luck!

Edited by LiliBurd

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)