figatelli9

Already have a SSN, do I need to 'update' it?

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have received my K1 last month and ready to fly back towards my fiancee. My flight is booked on Dec 14th and we plan to get married on Thurs 18th (getting the licence on Monday 15th) in NYC.

I was in the US on a J1 visa 3 years ago and already have a SSN. I am a bit confused, I know that SSN is unique so it wont change but do it need to be updated along with my status (regarding work authorization)? If yes before or after marriage?

And my actual SSN should be valid for marriage licence require information, correct?

Thank you in advance!

AOS Timeline

Adjusting from a K1 visa

NOA - December 27, 2014

Biometrics - January 20, 2015

EAD/AP - March 9, 2015

NPIW - April 20, 2015

GC being produced August 1,2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

My husband had an SSN from a J-1 too. If you still have the card then there's no real need to get a new one until after you become a citizen.

My husband had lost the card and couldn't even remember his number, but the embassy was able to retrieve the number for him, and he applied for a new card after arriving, just to have it. It had the usual notation on it that it was only valid for work with DHS authorization. Some people get themselves a new card after getting the green card, when I think that "DHS authorization" notation can be removed, but it's not really necessary. You'll just need to show EAD or green card when starting a new job.

We'll finally get him a new card once he's a citizen, since he will need to update his record with the SSA at that time anyway.

You don't even NEED an SSN for getting married, but since you have one, you can supply it on the license. Foreigners without SSNs get married in the US all the time.

I'm the USC petitioner.

Timeline:

10/06/2005 Met in Ireland while I was on a study abroad

03/15/2010 K-1 NOA1

05/27/2010 K-1 NOA2

09/10/2010 K-1 Interview

09/22/2010 POE

10/01/2010 Wedding

10/27/2010 AOS/EAD/AP NOA1s

12/22/2010 EAD/AP Approved

04/05/2011 AOS Approved - no interview

04/09/2011 Green Card received

01/24/2013 ROC NOA1

06/28/2013 ROC Approved - no interview

07/05/2013 10-year Green Card received

08/19/2014 N-400 NOA

12/06/2014 N-400 Interview

01/09/2014 Naturalization ceremony

My husband is now a US Citizen! Our journey is over!

20r8m4.png

WdKPm5.png

8PEOm5.png

Hi guys,

I have received my K1 last month and ready to fly back towards my fiancee. My flight is booked on Dec 14th and we plan to get married on Thurs 18th (getting the licence on Monday 15th) in NYC.

I was in the US on a J1 visa 3 years ago and already have a SSN. I am a bit confused, I know that SSN is unique so it wont change but do it need to be updated along with my status (regarding work authorization)? If yes before or after marriage?

And my actual SSN should be valid for marriage licence require information, correct?

Thank you in advance!

We updated with the greencard to show new status as permanent resident instead of visa holder. Updated again to change to US citizen.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thank you !!

AOS Timeline

Adjusting from a K1 visa

NOA - December 27, 2014

Biometrics - January 20, 2015

EAD/AP - March 9, 2015

NPIW - April 20, 2015

GC being produced August 1,2015

I would go ahead and renew it after you get married. Your old one was valid only with DS 2019 form so it expired. It may take some time before you get your green card and if you think about getting a job you should replace it.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We updated with the greencard to show new status as permanent resident instead of visa holder. Updated again to change to US citizen.

Hi Nich-Nick, how do you "update"? By going to SS office and re-applying?

Hi Nich-Nick, how do you "update"? By going to SS office and re-applying?

We went in and when it was his turn, he told the lady "I am a permanent resident now", and a few years later "I am now a US citizen and want to update my record". He had photo ID and the relevant document-- greencard...naturalization certificate. She typed away each time and said a new card would come in the mail because the name had to match the new immigration document. His Social Security card changed from no middle name, then middle initial, then full middle name. (If there had been a name change due to marriage, then a marriage certificate would be shown along with the immigration document.)

You should wait for the new status from USCIS to populate the SAVE database they check. The card alone won't suffice as proof. Don't go the day after you receive the new immigration document. Wait a few weeks.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.