Velvety

need help understanding I-130 approval and U.S. Income tax doubts

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband (beneficiary) and I (U.S.)both live abroad. We mailed his I-130 petition for CR1 visa on October 27th 2014. I received an Email stating they have received it and gave me a receipt number which will also be mailed out to us. I have not received it yet but I already checked his status online. Says to wait for receipt notice on how they will process the case. Question: once I receive it, is that considered the NOA1? Or am I crazy? It's very confusing to keep all these visa terms straight :D

Issue #2

We will be using a joint sponsor (possibly my father) I have been living abroad for 3 years and have not filed an income tax return of my own since then. It was only recently that I found out I was still required to do so. Ether way, we still need a joint sponsor. So my plan is to sort this out when I travel back to the States in January 2015. I also plan on picking up my joint sponsor's paperwork etc. He will most likely not have filed his taxes for 2014 yet during my visit so do you think that they will accept his income tax returns from 2011 through 2013???? From what I read, it has to be the last 3 years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

1. Yes that is noa1.

2. Tax i cant explain coz its hard for me to understand US taxation so my USC wife is taking care about that part. May be some1 in forum might be able to explain better

3 years u r wid him living together then why didnt you do DCF. That would be quick process

may be u need to establish domicle.. Check that as well

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

3 years u r wid him living together then why didnt you do DCF. That would be quick process

DCF is only available in countries that have a USCIS field office (Brazil does not have one). Before throwing DCF around, you (and others) may want to check this list to see which countries have USCIS field offices: http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-immigration-offices

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Your father will need to have filed 2014 taxes by the required date or have a tax extension. If it's before April 15 2015, then 2010-2013 will be fine and it won't be an issue.

As another poster has stated you will want to look up domicile issues and get together proof that you're reestablishing your domicile in the USA before the intervie .

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Because you live abroad you need to prove to the US embassy or consulate that you have taken steps to re-establish a domicile, aka your life and home, in the USA. Search the board and you'll find steps that people have taken and recommendations.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.