PShrestha

RFE- Birth Certificate

7 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Hi guys,

I received an RFE today in mail for form i-485. It says " You have submitted an English translation of a foreign birth certificate: please submit a copy of the applicant's foreign birth certificate issued by the appropriate civil authority"

Are they asking for a copy of my real "Non-English" Birth certificate? While filing i-485, I sent them a copy of my translated birth certificate.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi,

They have to see a copy of the actual birth certificate in addition to any translation. They cannot authenticate a translation by itself.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi guys,

I received an RFE today in mail for form i-485. It says " You have submitted an English translation of a foreign birth certificate: please submit a copy of the applicant's foreign birth certificate issued by the appropriate civil authority"

Are they asking for a copy of my real "Non-English" Birth certificate? While filing i-485, I sent them a copy of my translated birth certificate.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I got the same RFE no so long ago, I asked this lawyer who was nice to charge me 25 dollars...she looked at the website to find out which civil authority they are talking about. since I am Kenyan, they required a copy from CRD, civil registrar department. Although the lawyer told me to submit the same copy that is not black and white which I did initially, I told her I was going to request a copy from the crd since mine was issued by the district office. So I sent a copy of my birth certificate issued at the district, copy of my bio information from passport and a letter requesting them to issue me a new birth certificate. They issued me a new birth certificate with same information on the district BC. They made a copy and certified it using a rubber stamp, I also got the BC legalized by foreign affairs in Kenya. The whole process took about 18 days. I know you were given 87 days so you have to start working right away. I also had my uncle and neighbor write an affidavit of birth for me and they were notarized. I sent the RFE on the 3rd of Nov, they received it on the 5th of Nov, on the 12th of Nov they moved my case to testing and interviewing. So be sure you respond to the RFE well. All the best my dear.

09/02/14 sent AOS

09/05/14 AOS received

09/21/14 NOA received

11/16/14 Biometrics done

10/07/14 RFE for Birth Certificate

11/03/14 RFE received by MSC

11/05/14 RFE in reviewing process

11/12/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/26/14- EAD Mailed

12/3/14 EAD received.

02/14/15 AOS interview scheduled for 3/19/15

03/19/15 Interview...

03/19/15 Approved. Thank you God!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Thank you very much for all of your guys' help. I ended up sending a color print copy of both my real birth certificate and translated birth certificate. After 10 days of documents being received by USCIS, my status just got updated to "case ready to be scheduled for an interview".

Thank you again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

This whole thing about original and translation is a bit far out.

One the one hand . . . they want translated document in English so they (English readers) know what it says.

On other hand . . . they want original to see if things match up . . . even as they can't read the original !!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Time Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

10 YEAR GREEN CARD PROCESS

July 22, 2017  ROC packet sent to Vermont.

July 24, 2017  ROC packet signed for in Vermont.

August 8, 2017  NOA received at house.  15 days since ROC signed for in VSC.

August 12, 2017 ASC appointment received. 19 days since ROC in VSC.

August 25, 2017 BIO completed. 32 days since ROC received in VSC.

August 11, 2018  18 month 'Courtesy Copy' extension letter received.  Critical number  297

October 20, 2018 18 month 'Official' extension letter received.  Critical number 297

December 4, 2018  USCIS Account shows: We approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 

December 4, 2018, ordered your new card for Receipt # EAC17297003XX, and will mail to the address you gave.

491 days from NOA issued by VSC until Petition approved.

December 7, 2018 USCIS sent notice:  Card mailed.

December 12, 2018 Ten year Green Card received from Lees Summit, MO

499 days from NOA issued by VSC until Green Card received.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 6, 2018 submitted N-400 application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 8 months or August 2019.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled . . . but the actual date was not yet shown.

December 11, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for 24 December 2018.

December 21, 2018 saw on USCIS website that they will be closed 24 December 2018 as extra holiday.

January 9, 2019 went for re-scheduled BIO appointment.  33 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

February 19, 2019 received letter in US mail that Citizenship interview scheduled for 26 March 2019. 74 days after submission on-line.

March 26, 2019 Citizenship interview scheduled for.  109 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

March 26, 2019 Passed Citizenship interview.

April 12, 2019  Received notice that Oath Ceremony had been scheduled for 24 April 2019.  17 days after interview.

April 24, 2019  Oath Ceremony completed.  29 days after interview.     139 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

April 25, 2019  USA Passport Application submitted.

May 3, 2019     USA Passport received.    149 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

May 9, 2019     Certificate of Naturalization and Citizenship returned in mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.