jessysingh

APPLY FOR TOURIST VISA WHILE WAITING FOR NVC CASE NUMBER

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello VJ Members,

I need to know is it possible for my wife who is residing out of the US to apply for a tourist visa while we are waiting to get a NVC Case Number. Will it interrupt or interfere with NVC Department on our application process.

Any help/advise and thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank You

Jessy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello VJ Members,

I need to know is it possible for my wife who is residing out of the US to apply for a tourist visa while we are waiting to get a NVC Case Number. Will it interrupt or interfere with NVC Department on our application process.

Any help/advise and thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank You

Jessy

Anyone anywhere can always apply for a tourist visa during the process there is nothing that is wrong or illegal with that. It won't hold up or interrupt anything.

The question is given whatever country she is from will she be granted a Tourist visa? And second will the CBP allow her in the US once she lands. That's the bigger questions.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If the visa is granted for her to come in, why will the Custom Border Patrol interfere when she lands?

CBP will be able to pull up the information that she is under petition that's why she will be subjected to more scrutiny from CBP officers. coz they might think that she will not go back to her home country and will just adjust status here. i guess that's what they call circumventing the immigration process. i'm not totally sure of the term but if she has a pending petition that's definitely a red flag though not necessarily an outright ineligibility for admission as tourist.

Timeline

another point also is that granting a visa does not mean outright admission into the US. a visa will only guarantee to fly to a port of entry in the US but granting admission is solely under the discretion of the CBP officers. a visa only gives you the privilege to seek admission to a port of entry.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

another point also is that granting a visa does not mean outright admission into the US. a visa will only guarantee to fly to a port of entry in the US but granting admission is solely under the discretion of the CBP officers. a visa only gives you the privilege to seek admission to a port of entry.

my fiance and I discussed this actually and for a few reasons we chose not to

1. Why pay an extra $150 for something that a) has a low chance of being approved? (she was previously denied for lack of ties to home country). $150 is just the cost of the visa. It doesn't include going to and from the embassy, hotel stay etc.Applying for a fiance visa implies immigrant intent, thus the burden of proof of home ties is incredibly stronger.

2. Why apply for something that would be used only once or twice (maximum) during the 6-9 month waiting period considering we had filed for a fiance visa?

3. Another visa denial, although it may not hurt, does not help either. During the interview you may be asked about visa denials, which is something that could only be used against you, not for you. Anything you say during the previous visa interivews could come back to bite you later. Not likely, but a risk nonetheless.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

so do you think chances she could get deported back to her country

You mean refused entry? Sure it happens. Can we ask what country? That has much to do about it.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Other Timeline

She's from Bangkok Thailand, we got married in March and I'm from Los Angeles and when i came back i had filled the I-130 in April and it got approved on September 19th and the file went to NVC and they just received it on October 25th and its still under processing.

The reason why i want to rush her to try the tourist visa is because my mom is really ill and my wife hasn't met her and i wanted her to meet before anything.

So do you think its a good idea to apply for tourist visa and trying coming in that way for 2 weeks and then she can go back and wait for her interview date.

Any help advise recommendation will be helpful.

Thanks!

Timeline

so do you think chances she could get deported back to her country

not necessarily. but the CBP officers will definitely take a second look at your wife's request for admission at the port of entry. having a visa on hand does not mean outright entry into the US. the only persons guaranteed entry into the US are US citizens. even green card holders does not have outright entry into the US. there is always the INADMISSIBILITY criteria that CBP officers look into when non-US citizens request admission at the port of entry.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In rare cases one is given an 'expedited removal' instead of a simple denial of entry. This is treated like a deportation for immigration purposes.

Lots of Thai girls have been grated entry to the US and have forgotten to go back.

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If she gets a tourist visa then her chances of being denied entry are minimal.

Getting the visa may be the tricky bit.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.