Nico25

filing fiance visa but me and my fiance are not engage yet.

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i have a question. i am filing k-1 visa, fiance visa. me and my fiance is not engage yet. because im planning to propose to her when she gets here if everything goes well. i want to know if there's going to be a problem about it? i have my documents ready i'm just wondering about this matter.

Thanks for the help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

You mean... She doesn't know that you are filing the petition?
If that's it, you need documents with her signature, it's not possible.

Or do you mean that you just haven't proposed formally, but she agrees with filing the petition?

Technically you can't call her as your fiancee if you are not engaged yet.

Do you mean you haven't proposed to her formally but you guys have already talked about getting married?

What do you mean by "I'm planning to propose to her when she gets here if everything goes well."? Do you mean if everything goes well with the K-1? Technically you are supposed to get engaged first, then you file for the K-1. Both of you must have the intention of getting married within 90 days after her arrival here on a K-1.

Timeline

It seems like a surprise for her? Sorry but it doesn't work for you need her signature in a document "Intent to marry within 90 days"

and some proof of bonafide/sincere relationship like "STORY OF YOUR RELATIONSHIPS AND HOW YOU PROPOSED, not to mention the engagement ring and pictures, those kind of documents are strong proof for approval of the petition.

In addition she should know just in case the petition was approved so she could also HAVE ENOUGH TIME to prepare herself, like quitting her job, fix all her documents like passport, NBI CENOMAR, etc.

K1 visa stands for FIANCE(E) VISA, she can't answer anything if the consul ask her during the interview "how your fiancée proposed? or when did he proposed?

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

If you are talking about getting her a ring and formally asking her to marry you than no, it makes no difference for the K1. Many people do this.

All USCIS requires is that you have met in the past 2 years. If the 2 of you did meet than you are good to go, engagement ring is not necessary.

Timeline

If you are talking about getting her a ring and formally asking her to marry you than no, it makes no difference for the K1. Many people do this.

All USCIS requires is that you have met in the past 2 years. If the 2 of you did meet than you are good to go, engagement ring is not necessary.

Technically that could pass but where is the essence of marrying her within 90 days? My examples of getting her a ring and proposing is just many ways of showing sincerity, doesn't have to be fancy or whatever, those are just examples and could use as proof of bonafide relationship (lots of ways actually). Engagement ring is not necessary but the INTENTION of marrying her is what is this all about, unless if the objective is just to approve the petition and pass the k1-visa that will do.

People are tend to focus on "approval" getting visa or something like that and tend to forget the meaning of it.

Timeline

Sorry guys. What i meant was. We already plan this filling and stuff its just that i havent propose to her formally, i want to do the propose when she gets here if everything goes well. We already met had a lot of pictures together and other proofs that we met in person.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Technically that could pass but where is the essence of marrying her within 90 days? My examples of getting her a ring and proposing is just many ways of showing sincerity, doesn't have to be fancy or whatever, those are just examples and could use as proof of bonafide relationship (lots of ways actually). Engagement ring is not necessary but the INTENTION of marrying her is what is this all about, unless if the objective is just to approve the petition and pass the k1-visa that will do.

People are tend to focus on "approval" getting visa or something like that and tend to forget the meaning of it.

I understand that ethical part and you might be right there but we are talking about whats on paper in black and white. USCIS wants to see that you seen each other, nowhere in their rules it says show us proof of you ring, that's all i mean. If you do research on this site most people will say that the ring is not an evidence.

Oh, I take it you mean that you have not proposed to her in person and/or given her a ring. I don't see that it will cause you a major problem. The more important thing is the intention to get married when she gets here, within 90 days upon her arrival. What you do need to prepare for is to prove that you have a genuine relationship -- pictures of the two of you together, records of your correspondence (emails, Skype or FaceTime logs, etc.). Pictures during your proposal, including a ring could help, though, but not necessary vital. But during the interview she might be asked how and when you proposed to her so she should be ready to answer that. If you popped the question over the phone or Skype and she said yes, then that could work, I guess; for the purpose of the interview. In my case, my husband popped the question over Skype (yes, seriously! :rofl: ) but I didn't answer him right away because I wanted to think things through. I told him to ask me again when we meet in New York in a couple of weeks. That's when I said yes. :) I was ready to give that answer during the interview because that's what really happened, but the IO didn't ask.

Timeline

Oh, I take it you mean that you have not proposed to her in person and/or given her a ring. I don't see that it will cause you a major problem. The more important thing is the intention to get married when she gets here, within 90 days upon her arrival. What you do need to prepare for is to prove that you have a genuine relationship -- pictures of the two of you together, records of your correspondence (emails, Skype or FaceTime logs, etc.). Pictures during your proposal, including a ring could help, though, but not necessary vital. But during the interview she might be asked how and when you proposed to her so she should be ready to answer that. If you popped the question over the phone or Skype and she said yes, then that could work, I guess; for the purpose of the interview. In my case, my husband popped the question over Skype (yes, seriously! :rofl: ) but I didn't answer him right away because I wanted to think things through. I told him to ask me again when we meet in New York in a couple of weeks. That's when I said yes. :) I was ready to give that answer during the interview because that's what really happened, but the IO didn't ask.

I havent propose to her yet. Because my plan is to propose to her when she gets here. Im just wondering if that could be a problem? I have all the proof that we met each other in person. Proof that we have genuine relationship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It seems like a surprise for her? Sorry but it doesn't work for you need her signature in a document "Intent to marry within 90 days"

and some proof of bonafide/sincere relationship like "STORY OF YOUR RELATIONSHIPS AND HOW YOU PROPOSED, not to mention the engagement ring and pictures, those kind of documents are strong proof for approval of the petition.

In addition she should know just in case the petition was approved so she could also HAVE ENOUGH TIME to prepare herself, like quitting her job, fix all her documents like passport, NBI CENOMAR, etc.

K1 visa stands for FIANCE(E) VISA, she can't answer anything if the consul ask her during the interview "how your fiancée proposed? or when did he proposed?

Hope this helps. Good luck!

A formal proposal, love story and ring are not requirements to get an I-129F petition approval. Relationship evidence is not required at all for the petition, so it cannot be 'strong proof' for approval of the I-129F petition.

You need to prove you are both free to marry at the time of filing and that you met at least once in person within the 2 years prior to filing. Add in your letters of intent to marry and the other required documentation, and that is the strong proof for an approval. Proof of meeting is one of the most important things you need to include with the I-129F petition, and photos are only secondary evidence of that.

Even at the actual K-1 visa interview stage of the process, a ring and formal/official proposal are not required in order to receive a visa. If a couple discussed getting married on the phone or over web chat, and that was how they became engaged to marry, then that would be how they would answer the question(if asked) about how or when they became engaged to marry. Not everyone uses a ring or gets on one knee to propose marriage.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

A formal proposal, love story and ring are not requirements to get an I-129F petition approval. Relationship evidence is not required at all for the petition, so it cannot be 'strong proof' for approval of the I-129F petition.

You need to prove you are both free to marry at the time of filing and that you met at least once in person within the 2 years prior to filing. Add in your letters of intent to marry and the other required documentation, and that is the strong proof for an approval. Proof of meeting is one of the most important things you need to include with the I-129F petition, and photos are only secondary evidence of that.

Even at the actual K-1 visa interview stage of the process, a ring and formal/official proposal are not required in order to receive a visa. If a couple discussed getting married on the phone or over web chat, and that was how they became engaged to marry, then that would be how they would answer the question(if asked) about how or when they became engaged to marry. Not everyone uses a ring or gets on one knee to propose marriage.

So if my girlfriend or me asked the interviewer when did i propose we could say that we discussed getting married by talking on the phone?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
So if my girlfriend or me asked the interviewer when did i propose we could say that we discussed getting married by talking on the phone?

Yes, if that is the answer to the question they ask you. You can say you discussed and decided upon getting married while speaking over the phone on such and such date. In your case, it seems you will be able to add onto that when you formally proposed in person later.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Yes, if that is the answer to the question they ask you. You can say you discussed and decided upon getting married while speaking over the phone on such and such date. In your case, it seems you will be able to add onto that when you formally proposed in person later.

Awesome. Thank you so much. Oh 1 more question. For question 35. That i need to do a 1 single sheet of paper stating how we met in person. Can you give me idea what to put coz i dont know where to start. I would appreciate it. Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

She will need to submit a signed letter of intent to marry as part of the I-129F package. By virtue of signing that document, she is acknowledging that she plans to marry you (so if you want to submit the petition and THEN surprise her with a proposal, that won't work). As others have said, whether there is a traditional proposal with a ring and everything else is of no importance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.