Mr. Big Dog

A Big Night For Minimum Wage Increases

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

People vote for policies that the candidates they support actually oppose. Only in America!

A Big Night For Minimum Wage Increases

Tuesday night turned out to be a good night for Republicans. But it was also a good night for the minimum wage.

Voters in five states endorsed minimum wage increases Tuesday. Significantly, minimum wage initiatives carried the day even in states where Republicans won statewide offices.

In Arkansas, for example, Republican Tom Cotton won a hard-fought victory over incumbent Democratic Sen. Mark Pryor. Yet a ballot initiative to raise the state’s minimum wage to $7.50 won the support of nearly two-thirds of voters. Similarly, voters in Nebraska and South Dakota approved minimum wage hikes even as they elected or re-elected Republicans in Senate and gubernatorial races.

In Wisconsin, which didn’t have a statewide initiative, voters backed city- and county-level minimum wage proposals even as they re-elected Republican Gov. Scott Walker, who once told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that he didn’t think the minimum wage “serves a purpose.” (Illinois also approved a non-binding referendum on the issue. That’s less surprising; it’s a reliably blue state that re-elected Democrat ####### Durbin to the Senate, although incumbent Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn was ousted by Republican Bruce Rauner.)

In Alaska — where Republican Dan Sullivan is leading the Democratic incumbent, Sen. Mark Begich — the minimum wage increase hasn’t been formally called yet, but it looks like it will almost certainly pass by a wide margin.

On the one hand, none of the votes were particularly surprising. Republicans were expected to win in those states, and the ballot initiatives, based on what little polling there had been, were expected to pass. But it’s still striking to see voters in state after state support raising the minimum wage even as they elect Republicans who, for the most part, oppose such policies.

Looked at another way, though, the votes make more sense. In exit polls, voters across the country reported being dissatisfied with the state of the economy. Seven out of 10 voters said the economy is in bad shape, and only 28 percent said their own financial situation had improved over the past four years. Those responses are pretty consistent with the hard data: Wages have been stagnant in the recovery, and median household income is still 8 percent lower than when the recession began seven years ago.

In other words, voters are pessimistic about the economy and want new leadership, hence their support for Republicans. But they’re also worried about their low pay and want to see a higher minimum wage. From a policy perspective, those two votes seem at odds with one another. But they both reflect the same economic frustration.

casselman-datalab-minwage-after-1.png?w=

People shouldn't be blindsided of their own political views. What I have seen in the US - so far - even some politicians did wrong in their job Americans are still supporting them just because they strongly hold their political point of views - whether it is liberal or conservative views-.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

People shouldn't be blindsided of their own political views. What I have seen in the US - so far - even some politicians did wrong in their job Americans are still supporting them just because they strongly hold their political point of views - whether it is liberal or conservative views-.

Fair enough but how do you support a candidate that opposes that which you support? People cast a vote for and against their policy preference at the very same time. Makes no sense.

Fair enough but how do you support a candidate that opposes that which you support? People cast a vote for and against their policy preference at the very same time. Makes no sense.

I hate to go to doctors, hospital and dentist. I opposed them so much but I have to choose to go.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

I hate to go to doctors, hospital and dentist. I opposed them so much but I have to choose to go.

Not the same. You do that because you really have no choice. At the ballot box, they had the choice to vote for candidates that support their policy preference, though.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Republican's prefer illegal workers to minimum wage increases.

Glad you caught on - been that way for years !

Even now, at my uni, major construction going on - the cement jockeys are all illegals !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Not the same. You do that because you really have no choice. At the ballot box, they had the choice to vote for candidates that support their policy preference, though.

The choices are limited. For instance, if some politicians who hold my policy preference yet they never fulfilled it - only lips service -after finished their term I would find someone to get them out from their jobs. It calls a revenge.

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Perhaps because the other candidate(s) oppose more of what you support? ;)

In an ideal world, an outcome such as this would have your elected representative voting against their own wishes, in order to properly represent their constituents. Whether or not that actually happens, we will have to wait and see.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Glad you caught on - been that way for years !

Even now, at my uni, major construction going on - the cement jockeys are all illegals !

It certainly has. They get their votes this way while the Dem's prefer to get their votes directly from the illegals themselves instead of from business interests.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Wage pressure is going to drive up wages. It's got to. It is going to be hard to find competent people to work for 7.25 as unemployment drops. I have already seen it with the Auto parts delivery job I was offered. Slightly over min wage. I wanted it to alleviate boredom, but I would almost lose money just going to work at that rate. Poor manager practically begged me. She can't keep or hire a person and corporate will not up the rate but punishes her for the short coming.

A buddy of mine who works for UPS, called me today. Wants me to be his helper now thru Christmas. The job only pays 8 bucks per hour, and it's pretty taxing work. Lot of exercise but I can use that.

I got to doing the Math.

8x8=64 bucks a day

After taxes etc etc 50 bucks a day.

5 bucks a day in gas getting there and back. another 10 bucks for supper or lunch, we are at 35. Grab a soda or snack, buy pants etc we around 30.

30 bucks a day. Not even worth pulling out of the driveway bored or not .I can drive my limo for an hour a do better than that

How do they find people ?

Scary stuff. The very reason my wife doesn't work. Assuming a 15% fed tax, 7.65% for FICA and medicare, and 5% for state tax, a person is working for only 72.35% of their hourly wage. And that's just taxes, no insurance or retirement deducted.

Using $7.50 as the hourly wage, a person makes $5.79 per hour. At 40 hrs per week, that's $231. $900 per month, before any of the stuff you mentioned. No wonder so many live in poverty.

Wage pressure is going to drive up wages. It's got to. It is going to be hard to find competent people to work for 7.25 as unemployment drops. I have already seen it with the Auto parts delivery job I was offered. Slightly over min wage. I wanted it to alleviate boredom, but I would almost lose money just going to work at that rate. Poor manager practically begged me. She can't keep or hire a person and corporate will not up the rate but punishes her for the short coming.

A buddy of mine who works for UPS, called me today. Wants me to be his helper now thru Christmas. The job only pays 8 bucks per hour, and it's pretty taxing work. Lot of exercise but I can use that.

I got to doing the Math.

8x8=64 bucks a day

After taxes etc etc 50 bucks a day.

5 bucks a day in gas getting there and back. another 10 bucks for supper or lunch, we are at 35. Grab a soda or snack, buy pants etc we around 30.

30 bucks a day. Not even worth pulling out of the driveway bored or not .I can drive my limo for an hour a do better than that

How do they find people ?