BS1982

Chances of B2 Visa after J1 Visa?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm new to all of this Visa stuff, so first let me explain my situation.

In May of 2014 I met a Thai woman on eHarmony. We began chatting and chatted continuously until October 2014 when I flew to Thailand to meet her. We traveled in Thailand for 2 weeks and had a great time. I even met her parents and stayed at her house. We are now planning a 3+ week trip to China in December 2014 through January 2015.

My Thai GF is a university graduate with a bachelors degree. She does not currently have a job since she lives with and takes care of her family. She has little money in a bank account and owns no property and her father supports her. She has never been married, has no children and has traveled previously to Laos, South Korea and the US. She traveled to the US in 2009 on a J1 visa.

I would really like to have my Thai GF visit me in the US for 3-4 weeks to see if she likes Colorado and to get to know her better. She loved the US on her earlier visit, but that trip was to the east coast and Colorado is very different from the eastern US and Thailand! Ideally, she would visit me on a B2 Visa since we do not know each other well enough to be engaged or married yet.

So, here's my first question: What are her chances of getting a B2 visa? From what I have read, it sounds like the chances are almost zero since she has no property, job or compelling reason to return to Thailand. On the positive side, she has been to the US before and she returned to Thailand. She is a very honest and sincere person, and I think she would present herself well in an interview, buy I get the feeling as soon as she says she wants to the US to visit her BF, the B2 visa will be denied. Is it worth even trying to apply for a B2?

So here's my second question. If she applies and the B2 Visa is denied, would that have a negative impact on getting a K1 visa or CR-1 in the future if we decide to get engaged or married?

Thanks in advance for your help!

CSC

4/14/2015 Sent I-129F via UPS

4/16/2015 Received NOA1

6/1/2015 Received NOA2

NVC

6/8/2015 NVC Received Petition

6/10/2015 NVC sent to US Embassy Bangkok (NVC Confirmed)

US Embassy Bangkok

6/13/2015 US Embassy Bangkok Received (tracked with DHL)

6/15/2015 "Case Creation Date"

6/26/2015 Status "Ready" CEAC case tracker

7/2/2015 Received Packet 3

7/7/2015 Received Thai Police Certificate via mail

7/10/2015 Mailed Packet 3 documents to US Embassy

7/13/2015 Received Packet 4 email/Interview Scheduled for 8/4/2015

8/4//2015 Interview (Approved!)

US

8/19/2015 I (USC) flew to Thailand

8/26/2017 We flew back together to Colorado, USA (LA California port of entry)

Marriage SSN

8/28/2015 Applied for SSN

8/28/2015 Obtained Marriage License

9/4/2015 Received social security card (SSN) with unmarried name via US mail

9/7/2015 Married in Colorado

AOS, AP, EAD

9/9/2015 Recorded Marriage License, Changed name SSN, Applied for AOS, AP, EAD

9/14/2015 Received social security card (SSN) with married name

9/16/2015 Received text and email NOA1s for AOS, AP, EAD

9/21/2015 Received paper NOA1s for AOS, AP, EAD via US mail

9/25​/2015 Received letter vis US mail scheduling biometrics for 10/5/2015

10/2/2015 Received RFE for not submitting 2014 tax documents

10/5/2015 Biometrics in Denver

10/9/2015 Responded to RFE by sending 2014 tax copies

11/18/2015 Received RFE stating EAD form was not an original signature?

11/19/2015 Signed the form in BLUE ink and returned via 2nd day UPS

12/10/2015 AP and EAD Approved

12/17/2015 Received Combo AP and EAD Card via US mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I have been in kind of the same situation. Had a j1 visa for 2 yrs and then flew home and applied for a f1 visa and since I didn't have any good ties to my home country I was denied. Not once but twice even :( now I am in the process of a k1 visa and I have been told not to worry since I was denied for not coming back to sweden and this time with a k1 visa that reason is gone since this visa has immigration intent. But I'm assuming it more often depends on your consular at the interview, for my f1 visa they didn't have proof of me going back to work illegally and that's why they denied me for lack of ties instead, at least how I think it could have been..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hey,

I was in the same situation. I have been to the US 2 times on a J1 visa and then went back home (Romania) and applied for a tourist visa so I can come back to see my boyfriend, now fiance. I had no problems in obtaining the visa even if I didn t have any proprieties on my name. I did have a job at that time and was a student (last year of my masters). And even if she doesn't get the tourist visa, it's not going to influence the K1 process. I am aware that it's different from country to country, but she should try it. :)

Good luck!

12 JUN 2014: Mailed I-129F package
17 JUN 2014: Package delivered to Dallas Lockbox
20 JUN 2014: Received text & email of NOA1

24 JUN 2014: Alien Registration Number assigned
26 JUN 2014: Received NOA1 hardcopy

18 JUL 2014: Received NOA2 on the website (28 days after NOA1)

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not a chance based process.

Seems to have a better case than some.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm new to all of this Visa stuff, so first let me explain my situation.

In May of 2014 I met a Thai woman on eHarmony. We began chatting and chatted continuously until October 2014 when I flew to Thailand to meet her. We traveled in Thailand for 2 weeks and had a great time. I even met her parents and stayed at her house. We are now planning a 3+ week trip to China in December 2014 through January 2015.

My Thai GF is a university graduate with a bachelors degree. She does not currently have a job since she lives with and takes care of her family. She has little money in a bank account and owns no property and her father supports her. She has never been married, has no children and has traveled previously to Laos, South Korea and the US. She traveled to the US in 2009 on a J1 visa.

I would really like to have my Thai GF visit me in the US for 3-4 weeks to see if she likes Colorado and to get to know her better. She loved the US on her earlier visit, but that trip was to the east coast and Colorado is very different from the eastern US and Thailand! Ideally, she would visit me on a B2 Visa since we do not know each other well enough to be engaged or married yet.

So, here's my first question: What are her chances of getting a B2 visa? From what I have read, it sounds like the chances are almost zero since she has no property, job or compelling reason to return to Thailand. On the positive side, she has been to the US before and she returned to Thailand. She is a very honest and sincere person, and I think she would present herself well in an interview, buy I get the feeling as soon as she says she wants to the US to visit her BF, the B2 visa will be denied. Is it worth even trying to apply for a B2?

So here's my second question. If she applies and the B2 Visa is denied, would that have a negative impact on getting a K1 visa or CR-1 in the future if we decide to get engaged or married?

Thanks in advance for your help!

What will take place always hinges on the same thing. The ability to prove beyond doubt she must return. If she cant do that when she applys she will get no chance at an interview.

Her denial will not affect any other visa action.

Timeline

OK, after reading a lot more about Visas on this web site and others, I am now thinking the better choice for my Thai GF might be to apply for an F-1 Visa.

My Fiancé reads and writes English quite well, but her spoken English is not nearly as good as her written English. All of our communication (except when I visited her for 2 weeks) is via a text messaging app called “Line.” Before meeting me, she was planning to study English either in the US or England. I found a good English language school only 10 miles from my house. Each class is for 4 weeks and they offer classes at many different proficiency levels. We are now thinking that she should enroll in a 4 week English class, apply for a F-1 Visa, and stay at my house while she in the US. I would pay for all travel and school expenses for her.

It seems to me that getting an F-1 Visa to study English for 4 weeks in the US would have a better chance of being approved than getting a B2 Visa just to visit her BF in the US.

What do you think?

CSC

4/16/2015 Received NOA1

6/1/2015 Received NOA2

NVC

US Embassy Bangkok

US

Marriage SSN

AOS, AP, EAD

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Does not sound like they would issue I 20,s?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yes, this is the school and they do issue an I-20.

http://www.els.edu/en/ELSCenters/Detail?locid=DEN

How do I get an I-20?

When applying to ELS Language Centers make sure to indicate on the application that you need an I-20. You must also supply documentation with your application showing proof of financial responsibility. You must have enough available money to pay for one session's tuition, living expenses and miscellaneous expenses.

CSC

4/16/2015 Received NOA1

6/1/2015 Received NOA2

NVC

US Embassy Bangkok

US

Marriage SSN

AOS, AP, EAD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.