blockhead

Show PR card for Car Purchase?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi VJers,

My spouse and I jointly purchased a new car exactly one month back. At the time of purchase and during this last month, we were never asked for my green card. Since our time to pay the first payment is fast approaching AND since we never received any paperwork from our lien holder bank, we contacted the bank directly. I'm now told that the bank did not initiate the paperwork because they don't have my GC or any form of valid status proof. Is this normal to be asked the GC for a car purchase? It just seems really odd. The bank also asked us to give the first payment to the dealership since the deadline is approaching. Does all this seem normal?

Thanx for your responses.

Edited by blockhead

I've never heard of that. They should just ask for a piece of ID and SSN. I have never been asked to prove my legal status. What did you show for ID? I guess they just want to see a US issued ID.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Yeah, I know it's for the loan, but it's odd, I've never been asked for proof of legal status in order to get a car loan.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is probably the loan company requirements.

Personally I don't know if I would provide it to them, Maybe go somewhere and have some one make up a fake card to give them or just tell them you are not comfortable providing that personal information to them, I would think they would waive that requirements

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The bank probably has a policy of not issuing car loans to people who do not have status in the US. They would lose a lot of money if they funded loans to people just visiting.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Timeline

I'm guessing that wanting to know my legal status stems from the fact that I provided my state ID as ID proof at the time of purchase. My state ID is "outdated" since it has the word "temporary" on it from when I got it when I was an F1 student. I didn't renew my state ID because I'm studying to get a driver's license. Maybe this is the trigger?

However what stinks is that our first payment deadline is coming in days and had we not called the bank ourselves to ask where's the paperwork, nobody would have informed us of anything and we'd be the ones to be penalized for being late with the very first payment. Aside from being suddenly asked to provide my PR card, I'm also not liking to pay directly to the dealership. What if the dealership doesn't provide our payment to the bank on time?

NigeriaorBust - You make a very good point. If asking for my PR card is legal then I have no problem. However I don't know that for sure and I'm certainly not liking how both the car dealership and bank are being unprofessional in not having informed us ahead of time.

VOL - Dude I'm not going to fake anything and get into trouble.

I'd be interested to hear from others who may have come across a similar situation. Thanks all for your responses so far.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What I find strange is they are asking for it after you already have the car. Seems a bit late to be changing their requirements.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.