JStone

Is there a US work visa that doesn't require sponsorship?

16 posts in this topic

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Im sorry if this is going to be a long post, but I really want to give you guys my background.

Im originally from Australia and came to the US in the Fall of 2009 on an F-1 Visa to attend College.

I graduated this past May with my Accounting degree and applied for OPT. My OPT application was pretty late. I wanted to work in Denver for an Accounting firm, but all the companies that I spoke with wouldn't sponsor or wouldn't talk to me until my OPT was accepted. I was offered an accounting job in the town my school was in, and I accepted it. They were really good about waiting for my Visa to come in, so it seemed like a no brainer to me. My OPT was accepted July and I begun work the day after I received my card.

One of the accounting firms that I applied for when I was going through the OPT process has since got back to me and interviewed me a couple of weeks ago. This company is my dream job. Its in Denver and the company is amazing. I received a phone call today from their HR saying that it is their company policy to not sponsor employees. She said that if I didn't need sponsorship, she would be offering me a job on the spot.

So, at the moment I really have no idea what to do. I really want to be able to work there, but I don't really know where to begin. My understanding is that the e3 and H1b visas both require sponsorship, is there any that don't?

Im also currently studying to become a CPA, and I need to work at a CPA firm (which my current job isn't) before I can become a CPA.

I'd really appreciate some help/ideas at the moment about where I should go from here.

Thanks,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The whole point of OPT is to get a job with an employer who will sponsor you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thank you for your replies.

Then you are not qualified to accept the position. You need to convince them it is their loss if they don't sponsor you

I understand what you're saying. I doubt that they will change their policy for an entry-level employee. I wasn't sure

When I graduated in May I had about 30-40 rejection letters/emails from companies all saying the same thing. Either, they don't sponsor or they wouldn't talk to me until I was eligible to work in the US. I had saved up some money through my CPT and working on Campus jobs, but by the time July came, I had spent it all and almost maxed out my Credit Card. So, I took the local job that I could start right away out of necessity, but it isn't where I want to be long-term.

This new offer would set me up long-term, enable me to obtain my CPA and it is significantly more money (about $20k more).

Filed: Timeline

you could form a start up, offer your services as a contractor but you need to apply for an investor visa stating you will be a lawful employer. by then, you don't even need to look for jobs anymore. you're just your own boss. or just move on. the labour policy here is pro-us citizens.

Filed: Timeline

No, the point of OPT is to provide practical experience in the field of study before returning to your home country. The fact that it can be/is often used as a stepping stone to immigration does not change the intent behind the law.

Timeline

I was focussing more on reality. Interesting article on h1b in the guardian today. Available on line.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Gah - get an E3!!! You do not need to be "sponsored" for an E3!! The employer must apply online for an LCA but that's it. Their obligation is to give you the LCA and a job offer. The rest is up to you. It's cheap, fast, you can be working for them as soon as you can get an appointment at a consulate outside the US.

The word "sponsorship" conjures up in the employers mind getting labor petitions and thousands of dollars of lawyer fees etc. This is NOT required for the E3. It would be a MUCH better option for you.

5/2/14 - Marriage to USC (Australian citizen on E-3 visa)

6/20/14 (Day 0): AOS package received at Chicago Lockbox
6/24/14 (Day 4): Text notification of receipt (I-130, I-131 and I-765 "Initial Review", I-485 "Accepted")
6/30/14 (Day 10): Received NOAs and biometrics notice for 7/24
7/7/14 (Day 17): Walk-in biometrics at Pittsburgh ASC
7/30/14 (Day 40): Email update: I-485 has moved to "Testing and Interview" stage

8/20/13 (Day 61): Text notification: I-131 and I-765 approved, "Card Production" status

8/28/14 (Day 69): Text notification: EAD/AP card mailed

8/29/14 (Day 70): EAD/AP card received

9/10/14 (Day 82): Text msg of case update - interview date notice mailed

10/16/14 (Day 118): Interview - approved. Text update of "card production" status
10/20/14 (Day 122): Received welcome letter

10/23/14 (Day 125): Received green card

Timeline

E3 has been mentioned.

I tend to think of it as the Ausrptralian only H1b even if most of the applicants seem to be Indian.

Gah - get an E3!!! You do not need to be "sponsored" for an E3!! The employer must apply online for an LCA but that's it. Their obligation is to give you the LCA and a job offer. The rest is up to you. It's cheap, fast, you can be working for them as soon as you can get an appointment at a consulate outside the US.

The word "sponsorship" conjures up in the employers mind getting labor petitions and thousands of dollars of lawyer fees etc. This is NOT required for the E3. It would be a MUCH better option for you.

Genddob - Thank you! I have a job line dup, but the employer keeps telling me that they won't sponsor. I've tried telling them that it isn't a sponsorship, but I don't really know what else to tell them!

I saw that you had an E3 visa, do you have a thread on your application or could you elaborate on your timeline with he E3 for me?

E3 visa information from Canberra embassy: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/e3visa.html

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have had 4 E-3's since 2008. I now have a green card after marriage to a USC. What do you want to know? I got my first one in Australia and since then have got the rest in Toronto. One was a new one (same employer, different job), the rest were E-3R (renewals). The longest part is getting the appointment in Toronto. The LCA generally takes 7 days or less online. Apart from giving a job offer letter, that really is the extent of the employer's obligations (unless they agree to reimburse your trip/s to get/renew the visa.

5/2/14 - Marriage to USC (Australian citizen on E-3 visa)

6/20/14 (Day 0): AOS package received at Chicago Lockbox
6/24/14 (Day 4): Text notification of receipt (I-130, I-131 and I-765 "Initial Review", I-485 "Accepted")
6/30/14 (Day 10): Received NOAs and biometrics notice for 7/24
7/7/14 (Day 17): Walk-in biometrics at Pittsburgh ASC
7/30/14 (Day 40): Email update: I-485 has moved to "Testing and Interview" stage

8/20/13 (Day 61): Text notification: I-131 and I-765 approved, "Card Production" status

8/28/14 (Day 69): Text notification: EAD/AP card mailed

8/29/14 (Day 70): EAD/AP card received

9/10/14 (Day 82): Text msg of case update - interview date notice mailed

10/16/14 (Day 118): Interview - approved. Text update of "card production" status
10/20/14 (Day 122): Received welcome letter

10/23/14 (Day 125): Received green card

I have had 4 E-3's since 2008. I now have a green card after marriage to a USC. What do you want to know? I got my first one in Australia and since then have got the rest in Toronto. One was a new one (same employer, different job), the rest were E-3R (renewals). The longest part is getting the appointment in Toronto. The LCA generally takes 7 days or less online. Apart from giving a job offer letter, that really is the extent of the employer's obligations (unless they agree to reimburse your trip/s to get/renew the visa.

Thank you!

How long did it take to get an appointment in Toronto?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.