Brewlin

Preparing for domicile - help

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

So this part is rather confusing, and frankly, quite ridiculous. Anyway, my USC husband owns a business here in Sweden, which he will sell to fund our move back to the USA. We will use a co-sponsor, my FIL who also lives at the address we will be living at when we arrive (temp), the same address we are putting down on the I-130. We don't have a bank account in the US.No car, no bills, no insurances. NO job offer. BUT could we use the sale of the biz as a proof that we intend to establish one in the US? I know it sounds fluffy. But it's the truth. What else, make his parents write up a sort of 'lease' ? Buy a car from online? lol.. He does have a valid US DL. Anything else we can do?!

We do have two (school) children but intended to seek out a good place to start our new biz before enrolling them into a school, so we hope to move at a longer school break after one semester is finished. (i.e summer, or after christmas). Thanks for any help.

Married 2001, conditional resident 2003, permanent resident 2005.Left U.S 2012, abandoned green card 2013.Applied I-130 Nov 2014, approved Dec 2014. DS260 13th Apr 2015. Docs sent 27 Apr. Scan date May 1. Case complete June 4!Interview July 14th, rescheduled to Oct 20th.  Applied for N400 on November 6th, 2018. I'm the immigrant :)

Timeline

Sweden is FALLS UNDER EU. SO UR HUSBAND MUST HAVE PASSPORT. SO PASSPORT / DL AND HIS TIES WITH PARENTS IN US SHOULD BE ENOUGH TO PROVE DOMICLE.

Ok, so where exactly did you obtain this information? I am ahead of our process here, so I have no info really.

Furthermore, what he DOES have now is : DL (expires next year), Voter registrated (where does he get proof of it?) US Passport. Tax returns.

Married 2001, conditional resident 2003, permanent resident 2005.Left U.S 2012, abandoned green card 2013.Applied I-130 Nov 2014, approved Dec 2014. DS260 13th Apr 2015. Docs sent 27 Apr. Scan date May 1. Case complete June 4!Interview July 14th, rescheduled to Oct 20th.  Applied for N400 on November 6th, 2018. I'm the immigrant :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Well we filed our cr1 and yet in uscis process and to proove domicle my usc wife had to send her copy of birth cert. Or copy of passport.. That is what our lawyer and also guide in this forum says.

Thou she sent copies of both i.e. Birth cert. And passport.

Our is cr1 and she lives in US and our case is at nebraska at present.

I replied with what we did. May be someone more experienced vj guys can be of help.

Find dwheel in this forum. He might have better insight

my best wishes

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

His voter registration card, state drivers license and any copies of receipts from shipping companies like DHL showing proof of having begun to ship over belongings (clothes he doesn't want to throw out, but can live without until you move) to his US address. Any proof of maintaining his US address...mail in his name at that address. These are things that should suffice in cases like his where there isn't much to show as proof.

I'm a USC living in Germany with my husband for almost 4 years now and I don't have much more to show as proof than your husband does. I'm not worried about it one bit, especially since I can go with my husband to his interview to clarify anything that raises their eyebrows.

Edited by Stressed Out

Myself: US citizen; Husband: German citizen

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.
-Third ESTA denied due to his suspiscious visa status on Oct. 15, 2012.
-B-2 tourist visa approved on Nov. 16, 2012!

(IR-1 Journey):

-Extended German residence permit obtained Aug. 23, 2014. (to qualify for DCF)

-Husband's new German passport picked up Aug. 28, 2014. (Old one expires 2015)

-I-130 packet sent to Frankfurt (DCF) Aug. 29, 2014!

-NOA1 issued Sept. 9, 2014 (received Sept.13)

-RFE regarding evidence of bona fide marriage received along with NOA1

-RFE reply packet sent to Frankfurt Sept. 30, 2014

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Paper NOA2 received in the mail Oct. 29, 2014

-Case number assigned by IV unit Oct. 30, 2014 (Received by email Nov. 3)

-Paper "Packet 3" arrived in mail Nov. 4, 2014

-DS-260 and Document Delivery Registration submitted to Frankfurt Nov. 4, 2014

-Mailed in priority date request found on Packet 3 to IV Unit Nov. 5, 2014

-IV ("Packet 3") package sent to Frankfurt Nov. 17, 2014

-Medical completed by Frankfurt panel physician Nov. 17, 2014

-Received "Packet 4" via e-mail Nov. 20, 2014

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014
:dance:

-Visa packet arrived in the mail Dec. 4, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Corrected visa packet received in the mail Dec. 11, 2014

-$165 Immigrant fee paid Dec. 11, 2014

-POE (through Dublin, Ireland) Jan. 18, 2015

-Registered manually for social security Jan. 27, 2015

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Timeline

Thanks S.O, I wasn't sure how much of an issue it may become. Only been gone 2.5 years, maybe that helps. Won't be shipping anything over unless it goes through regular mail service, so I doubt they'd care about that. But vote reg, passport, tax returns, maybe a letter from his parents stating we'll live there and intend to buy our own car helps.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

We proved domicile at the embassy in Stockholm

Here is what we had:

I'd suggest you get a lease from the parents. Our final accepted by the embassy list had my soon to be house in America (will, probate documents, and title), bank account and credit cards with US addresses, driver's license, recently renewed library card, SS card, unexpired AAA card for the area I intend to live in, proof of being on my mother's car insurance for the past 6 years, etc.

I did not include proof of being registered to vote or voting because it was too much hassle and Stockholm is not Canada - they don't care that much.

We also included an email from the school district talking about enrollment for my daughter. Something like this should be sufficient for the school district the parents live in.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

We live in Sweden, so we don't have all that, except what I mentioned earlier. I will contact the embassy, maybe they can explain what they want.

Edited by Brewlin

Timeline

We live in Sweden, so we don't have all that, except what I mentioned earlier. I will contact the embassy, maybe they can explain what they want.

Yes, I understand that - we were living in Denmark. It was ideas and easy enough ones for you to get. He can get a lease from his parents. His parents could easily put him on the car insurance, you can easily open a bank account from abroad with an online bank or credit card company, you can email the school district at your in-laws place of residence and ask about procedures for enrolling your child or print out their policies. Simple stuff.

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline

Anyway, the reason you don't have any of the things I previously listed is that you have not fulfilled the steps required to "maintain or re-establish domicile." If you had taken steps to re-establish domicile, you'd have more proof than you currently do.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline

Okay, I will look into those things - thanks! I haven't fulfilled these things yet,, since I am actually way ahead, haven't even sent in the I-130 yet. I like to be prepared so now I know what to do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.