Janelle2002

U.S. weighs passport, border changes in wake of Ottawa attack

34 posts in this topic

By Mark Hosenball and Warren Strobel

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. officials are debating whether to tighten controls on the border with Canada and make it easier to revoke the passports of suspected militants, steps that could gain traction following two attacks in Canada this week.

The officials cautioned on Thursday that the discussions are in preliminary stages and that no immediate action appeared likely by either U.S. President Barack Obama's administration or Congress.

While there was no specific evidence of a new threat in the United States, federal and state authorities were on a heightened state of alert following a gunman's attack in Ottawa on Wednesday and another by an assailant in Quebec on Monday.

One official familiar with the matter said a main topic of discussion has been whether some northern border posts which are unmanned - but guarded by electronic sensors and alarms - should now be staffed with live personnel.

The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that proposals circulating within government agencies could make it easier for the government to revoke U.S. passports.

Authorities in the United States, Canada, Australia and western Europe say they are alarmed by thousands of citizens who have traveled to Syria to fight in the conflict there. They fear that some battle-hardened fighters could return to their home countries and attempt terror attacks.

Secretary of State John Kerry, whose department issues passports, has authority to revoke them. The government regards passports as a privilege, not a right. But one official said there are provisions for challenging such decisions.

The United States has used existing powers to cancel passports for counter-terrorism purposes, revoking that of Anwar al Awlaki, an American-born Islamic preacher who was a leading figure in Yemen-based Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

Awlaki, who U.S. officials said was in correspondence with Major Nidal Hassan, a U.S. Army psychiatrist, before Hassan embarked on a deadly shooting spree at a Texas military base, was killed in a CIA drone strike.

U.S. officials said they had no evidence of threats to the United States following the attacks in Canada. The U.S. Embassy in Ottawa, on lockdown Wednesday, reopened on Thursday.

"At this time, there is no specific reporting to indicate that ongoing events in Canada pose a threat to the United States," said Aaron Bowker, spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Buffalo field office.

Law enforcement officials said Wednesday's shooting of a soldier in the Canadian capital appeared to be the act of a single individual, the type of "lone wolf" attack U.S. authorities say it is difficult to defend against.

"It's so simple and unpredictable, it’s hard to know exactly what to do," said Captain Rick Hopkins of the state police in Vermont, which shares a border with Canada.

"You want to do all you can to keep people safe, but it’s very frustrating (that) you can’t point to one thing” that would stymie such an attack, Hopkins said

Aren't they supposed to doing background checks and everything else when people cross into the U.S. from Canada or do they only do this mess to people like me married to a person from South Asia?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

By Mark Hosenball and Warren Strobel

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. officials are debating whether to tighten controls on the border with Canada and make it easier to revoke the passports of suspected militants, steps that could gain traction following two attacks in Canada this week.

The officials cautioned on Thursday that the discussions are in preliminary stages and that no immediate action appeared likely by either U.S. President Barack Obama's administration or Congress.

While there was no specific evidence of a new threat in the United States, federal and state authorities were on a heightened state of alert following a gunman's attack in Ottawa on Wednesday and another by an assailant in Quebec on Monday.

One official familiar with the matter said a main topic of discussion has been whether some northern border posts which are unmanned - but guarded by electronic sensors and alarms - should now be staffed with live personnel.

The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that proposals circulating within government agencies could make it easier for the government to revoke U.S. passports.

Authorities in the United States, Canada, Australia and western Europe say they are alarmed by thousands of citizens who have traveled to Syria to fight in the conflict there. They fear that some battle-hardened fighters could return to their home countries and attempt terror attacks.

Secretary of State John Kerry, whose department issues passports, has authority to revoke them. The government regards passports as a privilege, not a right. But one official said there are provisions for challenging such decisions.

The United States has used existing powers to cancel passports for counter-terrorism purposes, revoking that of Anwar al Awlaki, an American-born Islamic preacher who was a leading figure in Yemen-based Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

Awlaki, who U.S. officials said was in correspondence with Major Nidal Hassan, a U.S. Army psychiatrist, before Hassan embarked on a deadly shooting spree at a Texas military base, was killed in a CIA drone strike.

U.S. officials said they had no evidence of threats to the United States following the attacks in Canada. The U.S. Embassy in Ottawa, on lockdown Wednesday, reopened on Thursday.

"At this time, there is no specific reporting to indicate that ongoing events in Canada pose a threat to the United States," said Aaron Bowker, spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Buffalo field office.

Law enforcement officials said Wednesday's shooting of a soldier in the Canadian capital appeared to be the act of a single individual, the type of "lone wolf" attack U.S. authorities say it is difficult to defend against.

"It's so simple and unpredictable, it’s hard to know exactly what to do," said Captain Rick Hopkins of the state police in Vermont, which shares a border with Canada.

"You want to do all you can to keep people safe, but it’s very frustrating (that) you can’t point to one thing” that would stymie such an attack, Hopkins said

Aren't they supposed to doing background checks and everything else when people cross into the U.S. from Canada or do they only do this mess to people like me married to a person from South Asia?

There is a steady stream of travel back and forth across the border , my Wife's Aunt pops down for a tank of gas. Canadians and Americans with Passports, Nexus or Enhanced Drivers License can come and stay for 6 months with no Visa.

The border itself is porous in remote areas and populated areas. A person who is in Canada that is intent on doing harm in the US will be hard to stop. Police on both sides of the border need to work together (as they do).

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

There is a steady stream of travel back and forth across the border , my Wife's Aunt pops down for a tank of gas. Canadians and Americans with Passports, Nexus or Enhanced Drivers License can come and stay for 6 months with no Visa.

The border itself is porous in remote areas and populated areas. A person who is in Canada that is intent on doing harm in the US will be hard to stop. Police on both sides of the border need to work together (as they do).

How do I get my husband a Canadian passport? Will they give him a visa?

How do I get my husband a Canadian passport? Will they give him a visa?

If you were a Canadian citizen and your husband was immigrating there, he could enter Canada and stay with you during the process.

i don't know for certain about background checks but i can tell you that i saw what looked like my credit report on the interviewer's desk. she also had names of people who lived in rental properties i had once rented. i'm the us citizen, i wasn't really expecting to see all that, i was well over the poverty line - no financial issue. i thought it was weird, but i dunno, maybe that's normal.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

When I was a kid I in Youngstown NY I used to ferry people across the Niagara River to the liquor store in Canada in a 10 foot skiff with a 25 hp Evinrude. No passport just green dollars.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes, make it more difficult for people to cross legitimately, while terroristd or who ever can cross easily into the US just by sneaking across.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Yes, make it more difficult for people to cross legitimately, while terroristd or who ever can cross easily into the US just by sneaking across.

That's how we roll in the U.S. :yes: Promoting criminality is all we do. Look at our politicians.

Exactly. The law abiding people are easier to monitor. Those damn terrorists don't follow the rules. Imagine that?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Not everything can be prevented. Measures like this are designed to deter by increasing the cost of bad behavior.

And where is the increased cost at the Mexico border? Has the illegal crossing been deterred?