Lights

California State Drivers License - not issued with EAD/AP?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What do I do…?

So I received my EAD and AP. I went to the DMV and went through my written and road test. I passed and was told my license would be in the mail within 2-4 weeks.

I get a notice today saying that California DMV cannot process my drivers license. The notice services as an extended temporary license (up to 120 days). It notes: Under California law prohibits issuance of license until your legal presence has been verified. This information has not been received by immigration and naturalization services.

Am I not allowed to get my drivers license with my EAD and AP? Our interview is still pending and we sent our AOS in and received our NOA 1 in early July.

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I could not get mine in Alabama until I had my 2 year green card and then i had to renew it every year.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

EAD is listed as legal presence proof for CA DMV. It also says, "All original and pending driver license or identification cards will expire on the expiration date of his/her birth date and legal presence document (BD/LP) issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)." That means you should have been given a license that expires when your EAD does.

Not sure why they gave you only 120 days. Is the ID you used going to expire sooner than your EAD? You could print out the info from their website and show them to see if they can get it fixed for you, or just use the notice as your temporary license until you get your green card.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/dl_info/!ut/p/a1/lZBNa8MwDIZ_yw49GvljSduj2UqypmWHQRf7Ejw7bj0Sxy0mlP362d25lAkkEHp5pUcgoQXp1eyOKrrJqyH3suyat9cNqSvcVMWOY97U9fthc6DVmsEnSJDaxxBPIMw4d3rysfex6_0Cpz6VIWfnvJ2yNmhnQDBaElVYjfolseiZaYzW_ZdBxBLKDKbWsBUIEHJ5d3lRwsc_DbePaFoQ9LJ_2R-TrYondDu6NUPOP4KkcN_ns-SJOpNeY5o9wr49KW3Gd4JjCOO4YkWYf3b1MAf-9AsQLhUC/dl5/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/?urile=wcm%3Apath%3A%2Fdmv_content_en%2Fdmv%2Fdl%2Fdl_info#ltlp

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

EAD is listed as legal presence proof for CA DMV. It also says, "All original and pending driver license or identification cards will expire on the expiration date of his/her birth date and legal presence document (BD/LP) issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)." That means you should have been given a license that expires when your EAD does.

Not sure why they gave you only 120 days. Is the ID you used going to expire sooner than your EAD? You could print out the info from their website and show them to see if they can get it fixed for you, or just use the notice as your temporary license until you get your green card.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/dl_info/!ut/p/a1/lZBNa8MwDIZ_yw49GvljSduj2UqypmWHQRf7Ejw7bj0Sxy0mlP362d25lAkkEHp5pUcgoQXp1eyOKrrJqyH3suyat9cNqSvcVMWOY97U9fthc6DVmsEnSJDaxxBPIMw4d3rysfex6_0Cpz6VIWfnvJ2yNmhnQDBaElVYjfolseiZaYzW_ZdBxBLKDKbWsBUIEHJ5d3lRwsc_DbePaFoQ9LJ_2R-TrYondDu6NUPOP4KkcN_ns-SJOpNeY5o9wr49KW3Gd4JjCOO4YkWYf3b1MAf-9AsQLhUC/dl5/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/?urile=wcm%3Apath%3A%2Fdmv_content_en%2Fdmv%2Fdl%2Fdl_info#ltlp

Yes - I literally did my test a week after getting my EAD in hand. So it's good until end of 2015.

That's so odd... the DMV processed it properly (or so I think) when I was there in person/after my test. But it's the letter after that's weird.

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

Timeline

Do you think this could be the issue? Though I haven't had any issues thus far with employment or travel outside of the country...

On my Canadian ID's, my middle name has always been written out. Mary Jo Anne Smith (for example). But for my US EAD... I just noticed that it says Mary J Smith. I also notice that visa did the same thing (Mary J Smith) when issuing my credit card. Does the US not recognize 2 middle names? or always just shortens it to the first initial? Just trying to figure out what went wrong and of course the DMV call centre line is down at the moment.

Edited by Lights

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

Timeline

Just got off the phone with the DMV and they said it because immigration hasn't verified my information... so that's why they sent me a extension paper license for another 120 days. This is just odd... I called USCIS and they said if they did give information off my EAD that it's definitely in the system.

What do I do from here? lol! DMV has been, for the most part, the most difficult part of immigration thus far.

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I had the same issue when i was on H-1. DMV sends the info for verification and USCIS take their own sweet time to respond to DMV. I was given the paper based license extension valid for 90 days but this was few years back.

So all you can do is wait. You should get the license once USCIS responds to DMV's request should happen in about 30-45 days.

Ah, so now it appears to me that the delay in the issuance of my CA state ID might be due to USCIS taking time to verify the information to DMV.

Has anyone obtained a CA driver's license using an expired out-of-state DL? I don't want to retake the driving test, which is not needed if an applicant has an out-of-state DL.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Do you think this could be the issue? Though I haven't had any issues thus far with employment or travel outside of the country...

On my Canadian ID's, my middle name has always been written out. Mary Jo Anne Smith (for example). But for my US EAD... I just noticed that it says Mary J Smith. I also notice that visa did the same thing (Mary J Smith) when issuing my credit card. Does the US not recognize 2 middle names? or always just shortens it to the first initial? Just trying to figure out what went wrong and of course the DMV call centre line is down at the moment.

I believe the EAD naming format on the card is just that: first name, middle initial, last name. Sounds like yours is just how it should be.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.