flipicaneze

Tourist Visa for fiance, no plans for K1 or K3

16 posts in this topic

I'm in a special situation. I have a fiance in the Philippines. She owns her own successful business, a car and all her immediate family live in the Philippines. We met a year and a half ago and plan to get married in 2016. She has also travelled to other Asian countries on work and leisure visas, none of them were overstayed nor any crimes committed.

I plan on bringing her to the USA just for a visit to meet family and friends, take her to a few amusement parks and travel cross country a little bit. Later on after we get married I will be moving to the Philippines permanently (I am a dual citizen). I will be paying for her trip, expenses and even my father is willing to provide an Affidavit of Support (if that would even apply)

Under these circumstances, what are the chances of getting the visa approved?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Pretty sure that the burden of proving financial evidence for a Tourist visa is the person who is applying for it and an Affidavit of Support would not even be involved. If she has the finances and strong evidence of ties to return to the Phillipines, she should be just fine I would think.

Might need someone with a little more knowledge to correct me on that.

6/24/2014 - I-130 Shipped via UPS to Chicago

6/26/2014 - I-130 Received and signed for at USCIS

7/1/2014 - E-mail of acceptance with Receipt number - NoA 1 (Routed to California Service Center)

07/15/2014 - Change of Address via phone call with USCIS, confirmation via e-mail.

7/30/2014 - I-130 Approved at USCIS - NoA 2 E-mail

08/13/2014 - NVC Received Approved I-130 package from USCIS

08/21/2014 - Case Number and IIN created at NVC

08/25/2014 - Case Number and IIN received via phone call. DS-261 Available and completed online.

8/26/2014 - AoS Fee invoiced and paid online.

8/28/2014 - AoS Invoice status PAID

09/04/2014 - Expedite Request response - Must enter Beneficiary Date of Birth - Re-sent exact e-mail with requested info

09/10/2014 - Expedite Request e-mail received as "Under Review"

09/11/2014 - Expedite Request Approved - Confirmation via e-mail from U.S. Embassy in Bucharest, Romania

09/16/2014 - Embassy Received Case from NVC

09/16/2014 - Received E-mail from Embassy to Schedule our Interview and prepare documents

9/23/2014 - Medical Exam at Regina Maria - Results OK

10/01/2014 - Visa Approved!

10/03/2014 - Received Passport with Visa!

11/2/2104 - PoE Atlanta - Welcome to the US!

11/5/2014 - Paid $165 ELIS Fee

8/1/2016 - I-751 Packet sent in for Removal of Conditions!

8/15/2016 - Notice of Action 1 for I-751 - California Service Center

9/29/2016 - Received Biometrics Appointment

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Probably not so good.

Even with ties to Pinas it is difficult to get a tourist visa to the US.

My mother-in-law has no desire to live in the US and she was shot down twice for a tourist visa.....

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The only way to find out is for her to apply, all you lose is the costs involved.

Although, just going by what you've said. If her business is so successful in her home country, why does she need you to pay her expenses or an affidavit of support?

She needs to be able to show that she has more reasons to return home than to stay.

Sorry but your tentative plans that you plan to move to her home yourself in the future are not enough when, by law, they must assume that your fiance will want to live in the US

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

I say ask your fiance to go for it. If the consul finds out that she has been to other countries before, then she has a great chance of being approved.

No affidavit of support needed for her at this point since she's applying for a tourist visa anyway (not yet K-1 or K3).

Does she have any relatives in the US? If she has, advise her to do a full disclosure. On her having you as her fiancee, unless it's part of the application form, no need to disclose it unless the consul asks her during the interview.

I know that horror stories abound on rejection (I have several friends who were turned down for various reasons) but there are also success stories. If your intent is honest and sincere, then the odds are already working for you.

Personally, I suggest that she plan to visit in December. She can tell the consul that she would want to see snow and experience Christmas in the US for the first time.

Hope she gets the visa! :)

Edited by JBones

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The only way to find out is for her to apply, all you lose is the costs involved.

Although, just going by what you've said. If her business is so successful in her home country, why does she need you to pay her expenses or an affidavit of support?

She needs to be able to show that she has more reasons to return home than to stay.

Sorry but your tentative plans that you plan to move to her home yourself in the future are not enough when, by law, they must assume that your fiance will want to live in the US

I was wondering the same.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

This isn't going to be a K or IR visa. It's just a travel plan. We have been doing more and more travel, from her home in Metro Manila to Cebu then a drive around Northern Luzon. Next plans are to hit up Malaysia, Europe, Hong Kong and where ever else we can get our passports stamped. The USA is such a minor part of the plan just to visit and meet my family.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This isn't going to be a K or IR visa. It's just a travel plan. We have been doing more and more travel, from her home in Metro Manila to Cebu then a drive around Northern Luzon. Next plans are to hit up Malaysia, Europe, Hong Kong and where ever else we can get our passports stamped. The USA is such a minor part of the plan just to visit and meet my family.

No offence but your travel plans mean very little, too many people from all over the world have said they have no plans to live in the US only to change their mind before getting out of the airport.

By law the consular officers have to presume that everybody in the world wishes to live in the US until the applicant convinces them otherwise.

Guilty until proven innocent.

It's not impossible, as the thousands of people approved for tourist visas can testify to, but it's up to your girlfriend to convince them.

Having a USC boyfriend/fiance is a negative aspect as it provides a pathway for getting a greencard bypassing the fiance/spouse visa routes.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Timeline

Wow....your significant others successful business must be a hands off business. Kudos to her and her success in a country of mostly poverty, hardships, and suffering.

If the consul finds out that she has been to other countries before, then she has a great chance of being approved.

This is a common but incorrect assumption. Travel to other countries has no bearing on getting a tourist visa to the U.S.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Well, my advice is based on my friend's experience who applied but was denied. The American consul's words? Travel more. Show more stamps in your passport.

She was supposed to join her soon-to-be-husband for a business trip to the US.

Sounds like the fiancee will list you as her fiance on DS-160 (as you are engaged like you said) under the relatives section of DS-160.

Minimal chance of approval.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Just invite your family to meet her in another country since the US is just a minor part of the trip. Too much hassle applying for a tourist visa for something so "minor" as you put it. Seems you can afford to do it anyway with all those countries you plan to visit and that she has a very successful business.

Or try it anyway. Who knows, she might get approved.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I'm in a special situation. I have a fiance in the Philippines. She owns her own successful business, a car and all her immediate family live in the Philippines. We met a year and a half ago and plan to get married in 2016. She has also travelled to other Asian countries on work and leisure visas, none of them were overstayed nor any crimes committed.

I plan on bringing her to the USA just for a visit to meet family and friends, take her to a few amusement parks and travel cross country a little bit. Later on after we get married I will be moving to the Philippines permanently (I am a dual citizen). I will be paying for her trip, expenses and even my father is willing to provide an Affidavit of Support (if that would even apply)

Under these circumstances, what are the chances of getting the visa approved?

My opinion is, she can file B2 visitor visa and show all the evidence (Bank statements, owner's documents, property's agreement and etc) and also say nothing about she have connection in the USA.

I first applied B2 and plan to back to my home country for assignment after visit, but the officer denied my B2 after I told them I visit my boyfriend and his family.

12.15.2009 - Meet through online games, he is my Hero star_smile.gif

02.14.2010 - Dating

12.22.2010 - First meet@London (My first white Christmas)

[Long.distance: Skype, Whatsapp, Messenger, eCard, eGifts]

12.29.2011 - He visit my parents@Kuala Lumpur

02.20.2013 - B2 Rejected crying.gif

06.19.2013 - K1 visa application documents mailed to John

12.20,2013 - Packet 3 received

05.20.2014 - Checklist and DS-230 sent

06.25.2014 - Packet 4 (Appointment letter) received

07.02.2014 - Medical Exam

07.11.2014 - Medical Exam result received

07.15.2014 - Final Interview

07.18.2014 - K1 visa secured

09.12.2014 - Landed Chicagoland

10.10.2014 - Married in Court House :content:

11.15.2014 - SSN with name changed obtained

12.08.2014 - AOS Files Sent

01.08.2015 - Bio Appointment

02.12.2015 - I-765 & I-131 approved!

02.23.2015 - Employment Authorization Card received

as1cHhSB0361800MTAwNDcxNGx8NTQ1MjgxbHxEY

as1cR2SoSf-1800MTAwMzVsfDQ1NTQ4MTlsc3xDb

Timeline

My opinion is, she can file B2 visitor visa and show all the evidence (Bank statements, owner's documents, property's agreement and etc) and also say nothing about she have connection in the USA.

I first applied B2 and plan to back to my home country for assignment after visit, but the officer denied my B2 after I told them I visit my boyfriend and his family.

Ha ha ha ......this advise is a sure way to receive a nice lil ban from entering the US again.

If you want to take the chance of lying to immigration that is your personal right to do so.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ADVISE ABOUT WITHHOLDING INFORMATION FROM IMMIGRATION OFFICERS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.