Bosco

SOTU

39 posts in this topic

My fiance reads a lot of newspapers in Maroc instead of watching tv news. He has expressed to me concerns about being Muslim in the US because of the stories being reported in ME/NA and French papers. He is not a Bush fan and one of the first conversations we had was about this.

I am not sure what he will find here...in terms of anti-Muslim sentiment. I've seen violence against the muslim community here and many terrible comments made by people who do not realize who they are talking to when I am there.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
When my parents travel the ME/NA, they hear criticism very specific to Bush and his policies; however, the American people are generally respected. This was my experience too. Some had great Bush jokes to tell!

And my experience also. No one has ever expressed to me any hatred (or even mild dislike) of the American people -- in fact, they've expressed much admiration for Americans and the freedoms and opportunities here.

It's the American government's foreign policy, specifically in the Middle East, that they criticize. And the average Arab is much more informed about the specifics of that policy than are most Americans. And nowhere is this more apparent than in the matter of Palestine.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
When my parents travel the ME/NA, they hear criticism very specific to Bush and his policies; however, the American people are generally respected. This was my experience too. Some had great Bush jokes to tell!

And my experience also. No one has ever expressed to me any hatred (or even mild dislike) of the American people -- in fact, they've expressed much admiration for Americans and the freedoms and opportunities here.

It's the American government's foreign policy, specifically in the Middle East, that they criticize. And the average Arab is much more informed about the specifics of that policy than are most Americans. And nowhere is this more apparent than in the matter of Palestine.

I found the same thing with my fiancee's family. Why do think they can understand that our President does not reflect the values of our entire country, but here in the states people see one bad Middle Eastern person and assume they are all bad?

I always try to bring up politics but my fiance is convinced that Bush is listening to our every word...so we have to save all those convos for when we are face to face :)

03/09/07 - POE at JFK - Temp EAD given

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

04/20/07 - Package arrived in Chicago

04/26/07 - NOA1 for AOS and AP

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

05/23/07 - RFE email notification for 485

05/29/07 - RFE received by mail - Request for medical exam

06/01/07 - Contacted congressman regarding RFE

06/08/07 - Case resumed processing

10/01/07 - Email Notice of Transfer to CSC

10/04/07 - Pending at CSC

11/09/07 - Green Card Approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I was wondering how many MENA spouses watched the SOTU. I know some of the Arabic networks now carry it live with translation. I think the latest had particular interest because of the troop increase. What do they think of the president?

My husband is quite interested in U.S. politics, particular foreign policy. Any others? Any spouses eager to become citizens and vote?

Whats the SOTU? :unsure:

You were right! (you know who you are) :lol:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I was wondering how many MENA spouses watched the SOTU. I know some of the Arabic networks now carry it live with translation. I think the latest had particular interest because of the troop increase. What do they think of the president?

My husband is quite interested in U.S. politics, particular foreign policy. Any others? Any spouses eager to become citizens and vote?

Whats the SOTU? :unsure:

You were right! (you know who you are) :lol:

What does that mean Sarah?

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Other Timeline

I know this isn't particularly about MENA, but it goes to the overall lame-ness of the SOTU. Bush said nothing about Katrina, Louisiana, and Mississippi, and there are still thousands in FEMA trailers to this day. He promised he'd force insurance companies to pay claims, but they still haven't and people now have to sue. The Republican governor of MS is his close friend, so he's not handing out the federal money at all.

As for the question about SOs being shocked about Bush's oratory skills, yes, it's been noted many times how crappy he is at delivering speeches.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
Hicham doesn't like Bush's policies in terms of the military and the war in Iraq. He really just doesn't care for Bush and that's why we get along so well.

but does he think Bush is dumb? :lol:

Who doesn't?!?!

bushcorn0nu.jpg

MK, you are on a roll tonight!

My fiance reads a lot of newspapers in Maroc instead of watching tv news. He has expressed to me concerns about being Muslim in the US because of the stories being reported in ME/NA and French papers. He is not a Bush fan and one of the first conversations we had was about this.

I am not sure what he will find here...in terms of anti-Muslim sentiment. I've seen violence against the muslim community here and many terrible comments made by people who do not realize who they are talking to when I am there.

I completly understand Sophia and its not just Muslims, its all Arabs. Shortly after 9/11, the church my family had been going to for 25 years was doused in gasoline and set on fire. The entire church was burned down, most of the members were of Palistinian decent but there were also Jordanians and Ethopians with the majority of us being in the US for 20-40 years and more. (Peezey, maybe you remember this? Its the church in the Los Altos Hills) It was a very sad event and was dismissed by the local authorites with no cause, explanation, or investigation. We prayed out of a tent for nearly 3 years, through all the bad weather until we were able to get permits to rebuild.

What happened when the churches were burned down in Alabama, a full investigation, arrests, and nationwide headlines. What our church lost in that night will take many many years to recover.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

I completly understand Sophia and its not just Muslims, its all Arabs. Shortly after 9/11, the church my family had been going to for 25 years was doused in gasoline and set on fire. The entire church was burned down, most of the members were of Palistinian decent but there were also Jordanians and Ethopians with the majority of us being in the US for 20-40 years and more. (Peezey, maybe you remember this? Its the church in the Los Altos Hills) It was a very sad event and was dismissed by the local authorites with no cause, explanation, or investigation. We prayed out of a tent for nearly 3 years, through all the bad weather until we were able to get permits to rebuild.

What happened when the churches were burned down in Alabama, a full investigation, arrests, and nationwide headlines. What our church lost in that night will take many many years to recover.

Right, I should have been more clear. Many people are targeted- a shikh from India, Arabs (remember folks reading this that most ARabs in America are Christian NOT Muslim), anyone who in the small narrow mind of the person looks different.

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We watched the part leading up to it, pointed out all the different people and saw Rep. Keith Ellison. That was the highlight of the evening for me :lol: When the president came out, I left, because he makes me ill. DH stayed to watch, but after 15 minutes, he got tired of all the clapping breaks and quit as well.

He is very interested in politics, and really enjoys discussing and participating. It's quite a change for him to come to a country where we freely ridicule our leaders on a nightly basis.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

I had actually meant to ask you recently if this was your church. I was shocked when it happened. It shows that this kind of thing happens all across the country, no matter how tolerant you might think your community is.

We had many sikhs harrassed and beaten on the other side of San Jose, as well, not to mention dozens of things go on in Fremont. Of course, the woman who was just shot in the head a couple months ago shows this stuff is still going on.

We can say all we want about just trying to live your life but I am not a target, so I can't know what it's like to be fearful of violence.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

I just thought MBP that the offers for work as a translator in Iraq will begin before your fiance is even a permanent resident! You may want to let him know to expect them.

:unsure:

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

I just thought MBP that the offers for work as a translator in Iraq will begin before your fiance is even a permanent resident! You may want to let him know to expect them.

:unsure:

This is so true, I still get them in the mail all the time now, apparently the military doesn't give up. And this has nothing to do with selective service, they go by country of birth, I guess, in the USCIS system, then the postcards and packets start rolling in!

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline
He did get his selective service card the other day and was a bit put off by the notion that he may have to involuntarily serve in the US army were there to be a draft.

Really? Is there an age cutoff for that? I never knew that!!!

Almost all male U.S. citizens regardless of where they live, and male immigrant aliens residing in the U.S., are required to be registered with Selective Service if they are at least 18 years old but are not yet 26 years old. Men who are 26 years old and older are too old to register. The part that brings a wry smile to my face is that illegal aliens must register for selective service :unsure:

http://www.sss.gov/MUST.HTM

Edited by DelcoCouple
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gifDei beannacht agus sláinte go thú agus tú uile anseo!3dflagsdotcom_irela_2faws.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
He did get his selective service card the other day and was a bit put off by the notion that he may have to involuntarily serve in the US army were there to be a draft.

Really? Is there an age cutoff for that? I never knew that!!!

Almost all male U.S. citizens regardless of where they live, and male immigrant aliens residing in the U.S., are required to be registered with Selective Service if they are at least 18 years old but are not yet 26 years old. Men who are 26 years old and older are too old to register. The part that brings a wry smile to my face is that illegal aliens must register for selective service :unsure:

http://www.sss.gov/MUST.HTM

phew!!! He's thankfully over the age limit!!! Would be ironic that he wasn't required to serve in Egypt and then boom he moves here and gets drafted.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.