nabil and rachel

I become a U.S. citizen, how does that help my children who are born abroad to a U.S. to be a u.s citizen

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

hello everybody

i have other question from a friend

i hope i can find some answer with proofs and why not processes

the question is " I become a U.S. citizen, how does that help my children who are born abroad to a U.S. to be a u.s citizen"

event.png

event.png

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

USCIS:

I-130 Sent :.....................................05/27/2015

I-130 NOA1 :...................................05/28/2015

I-130 Approved :..............................11/13/2015

NVC:

NVC Received :...............................12/07/2015

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :..........12/18/2015

Paid AOS:........................................12/18/2015

Receive IV Bill : ..............................12/22/2015

Paid IV Bill: .....................................12/22/2015

Submitted DS-260: .........................12/24/2015

Sent AOS & IV Package:.................01/07/2016

Scan Date Email Received:.............01/08/2016

Case Completed at NVC :...............02/16/2016

NVC Left :

INTERVIEW:

Medical Appointment Date:.............03/232016

Interview Date:...............................04/06/2016

Interview Result :............................APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Where are the child now and what ages are they ? If there are in the US have a green card and are under 18 the answer is yes. If they are over 18 then the answer is no , no matter where they live and if they are out of the US and under 18 the answer is possibly

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Where are the child now and what ages are they ? If there are in the US have a green card and are under 18 the answer is yes. If they are over 18 then the answer is no , no matter where they live and if they are out of the US and under 18 the answer is possibly

they were born in abroad to a U.S and they are under 18

how i can help them

REMINDER . they were born before i became a citizen

event.png

event.png

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

USCIS:

I-130 Sent :.....................................05/27/2015

I-130 NOA1 :...................................05/28/2015

I-130 Approved :..............................11/13/2015

NVC:

NVC Received :...............................12/07/2015

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :..........12/18/2015

Paid AOS:........................................12/18/2015

Receive IV Bill : ..............................12/22/2015

Paid IV Bill: .....................................12/22/2015

Submitted DS-260: .........................12/24/2015

Sent AOS & IV Package:.................01/07/2016

Scan Date Email Received:.............01/08/2016

Case Completed at NVC :...............02/16/2016

NVC Left :

INTERVIEW:

Medical Appointment Date:.............03/232016

Interview Date:...............................04/06/2016

Interview Result :............................APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

you have to petition for them, once they enter the US, if they are under 18, they will automatically derive your citizenship

but you first have to petition residency for him, you could have done that while you were a LPR

Are they with their mom, will she authorize them to leave the country?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from IR1/CR1 Process to Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America Forum~

~Inquiry more suited to this forum, not spouse visa-related~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Hi,

I just want to clarify that the term "born abroad to a USC" means that you were already a USC when they were born, since you weren't, this term wouldn't be correct.

Also, I'm a little confused since you said this was for a friend, but in your second post you refer to yourself.

In any case here's how it works:

As a USC, you can petition minor children under 21 as immediate relatives (IR2), no need for a visa to become available. The process I believe can take as little as 8 months if you are very lucky, and up to a little over a year. This all depends on USCIS/NVC/embassy workloads, how fast you submit everything and whether or not you receive any RFE's or checklist or other unexpected delays.

If the children are still under 18 when they actually enter the US, they will instantly become USC's and can apply for a US passport right away. If they enter on or after the day they turn 18, they will not become USC's, but they would still be LPR's.

Also I agree, with the previous poster, you didn't have to wait to become a USC to petition your children since an LPR has as much right as a USC to petition children. At least this way they could have been here already and become USC's.

I don't know if they will be turning 18 anytime soon, but I would petition for them now so that at least they will be able to become USC's through you rather than have to wait and naturalize. Good luck.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.