DannybearsGirl

Boyfriend Wants to Visit Me From UK, Confused on Procedure?

75 posts in this topic

You might try the following sites:

First one is a site similar to this but for UK visas.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/general-uk-immigration-forum/

They might be able to give you more information since you are ultimately wanting to move to the UK, not the other way around.

Also, this site is the official UK site to determine if you need a visa, which one, and what needs to be done to obtain it.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

I'm not sure if the "have to stay out of the UK for 6 months" is because you were there for 6 months, but I travel to the UK almost every month for work and have never been told that I have to remain out of the country for 6 months before I can come back in. I know it's more expensive, but maybe more frequent, shorter visits until you get everything else sorted out.

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kazakhstan
Timeline

I went to Kazakhstan for our first face-to-face visit. We wanted her to come visit me in the US, so we applied for a regular 30-day Tourist visa. She got all the way to the Interview, and he asked the purpose of her visit. When she said it was to visit me, she was turned down! He said he thought there was too great a risk that we would just get married when she got here. She was then told to apply for the K-1 Fiancee visa. We are now waiting on NVC. Just beware that if they think you are in a romantic relationship, they can turn you down. There is NO appeal, NO refund, nothing you can do. A month of time and $160 down the drain.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So again, what do you suggest we do? What are our options? It seems like there's millions of visa for both of our countries and it's one complicated mess. We just want to be together. What is the best way to go about that?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You have some decisions to make, it is not a mess, you have options you need to decide what will be practical in your situation.

If you read this thread and the links provided it is mostly there.

You said you wanted to move to the UK, you can marry in US or UK, that does not matter, but your BF will need to sponsor you so he should focus on getting a job to do that.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I'm not sure if the "have to stay out of the UK for 6 months" is because you were there for 6 months, but I travel to the UK almost every month for work and have never been told that I have to remain out of the country for 6 months before I can come back in. I know it's more expensive, but maybe more frequent, shorter visits until you get everything else sorted out.

I'm not an expert in this, but I don't think it would make any difference.

If OP is allowed 180 days in a calendar year, she could stay six months consecutively, wait six months, and repeat. Dividing over small trips won't make a difference in time allowed there but will add up in flight costs and time spent airborne.

The reason you haven't had to stay out for six months before re-entering is because you've never gotten close to the 180 days in a calendar year limit.

On a side-note, posters seem to be discussing OP's potential confusion about a rule where she needs to live with her boyfriend for two years. If they are ready for marriage, it sounds like the only requirement is him making enough money to sponsor her in the UK, or vice-versa with her making enough money to sponsor him in the U.S. She can get a family member to commit financially and bring him over even if she makes below the poverty limit. And he could come to the U.S. as a fiancé (to marry stateside) or they could marry abroad and he could come here on a spousal visa.

To me it sounds like there really are options, but they just aren't what OP wants for her specific situation.

I'm not an expert in this, but I don't think it would make any difference.

If OP is allowed 180 days in a calendar year, she could stay six months consecutively, wait six months, and repeat. Dividing over small trips won't make a difference in time allowed there but will add up in flight costs and time spent airborne.

The reason you haven't had to stay out for six months before re-entering is because you've never gotten close to the 180 days in a calendar year limit.

On a side-note, posters seem to be discussing OP's potential confusion about a rule where she needs to live with her boyfriend for two years. If they are ready for marriage, it sounds like the only requirement is him making enough money to sponsor her in the UK, or vice-versa with her making enough money to sponsor him in the U.S. She can get a family member to commit financially and bring him over even if she makes below the poverty limit. And he could come to the U.S. as a fiancé (to marry stateside) or they could marry abroad and he could come here on a spousal visa.

To me it sounds like there really are options, but they just aren't what OP wants for her specific situation.

Actually I'm very been very close to hitting 180 days every year for the past 4 or 5 years, due to the amount of time I have to spend there for work, but have never been told I'm not allowed back in for 6 months.

And yes is is more expensive to do shorter trips as I mentioned, but I was just throwing out a suggestion to look at it differently than only being there for one trip of 6 months and then trying to figure out how to get him over here for 6 months, which most likely isn't possible.

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Actually I'm very been very close to hitting 180 days every year for the past 4 or 5 years, due to the amount of time I have to spend there for work, but have never been told I'm not allowed back in for 6 months.

And yes is is more expensive to do shorter trips as I mentioned, but I was just throwing out a suggestion to look at it differently than only being there for one trip of 6 months and then trying to figure out how to get him over here for 6 months, which most likely isn't possible.

The tricky thing with immigration is everything is often at the whim of an individual border guard. Do you enter on a work visa or visa-free as a standard tourist? Perhaps there is a certain threshold where passport control is recommended to advise the outgoing travelers regarding the 180-day rule?

Timeline

For the usual tourist/visitor none of this is an issue, it becomes an issue when you push the limits.

The procedure for the immigrating to the UK is set out very clearly in official sources, if the US was the same either there would not be a VJ or it would be a lot smaller site.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I came to the states 11 times with a visa waiver ( ESTA) to visit my boyfriend and I stayed for 89 days TONS of times. I was never sent back.... They would ask me how much money do I bring, where do I stay.... What do I do for a living.....

But last winter I was called apart and they asked me a few questions and wanted to check who my boyfriend is etc.....

And last time I came in April the same happened and I stayed for 2 hours apart lots of questions...and hard interrogation.... Because they said I was practically living in the US that I wasn't a visitor anymore and my boyfriend should ask for a visa or next time I would be denied ( they even called him on the phone to tell him )

So he asked me to marry him..... Because he was so worried about that possibility.

With that I say a citizen from UK coming to the states for the first time to visit his girlfriend I think he will have no problem. He can get the ESTA right now online, he answers a few questions online pays 15 and it's approved at the moment, he prints it and can buy a plane ticket wherever he wants to.

But he comes as a visitor no weeding plans nothing when they ask him at the airport. Because that's illegal to have other plans!!!

I don't see it so hard as you see it, he can come now for 89 days ( that's almost 3 months ) you 2 are together and then it will be 2015 you can go visit again in UK for another 6 months.

If all you want if be together and married then you have to look at the money you need for that visa and work what they ask for and it will be possible. If you 2 only keep flying around and have no jobs, then will never have the money they ask for the visa and will be in this situation for ever.

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

Timeline

Lots of long trips trips to the UK will eventually result in issues.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Where are you from in the US? The other possibility, if you live near a border, is for him to spend 3 months in the US and 3 months in Canada/Mexico I believe. It won't work if you are living in Kansas or Florida, but it might if you are in California, Texas, Michigan, NY, Illionois, Washington....

By the way, I am speculating. someone here could give you specific details to see if this is possible, but it would solve the problem about being apart for so long.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Timeline

Where are you from in the US? The other possibility, if you live near a border, is for him to spend 3 months in the US and 3 months in Canada/Mexico I believe. It won't work if you are living in Kansas or Florida, but it might if you are in California, Texas, Michigan, NY, Illionois, Washington....

By the way, I am speculating. someone here could give you specific details to see if this is possible, but it would solve the problem about being apart for so long.

You have to go back to Europe if you come with VWP! If you are in the states and go to Canada or Mexico your entry still counts since the moment you first came to the US from UK.

Unless you go to South America but then what's the point.....

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

You have to go back to Europe if you come with VWP! If you are in the states and go to Canada or Mexico your entry still counts since the moment you first came to the US from UK.

Unless you go to South America but then what's the point.....

What about flights to Central American or Caribbean countries?

Timeline

What about flights to Central American or Caribbean countries?

I guess that way they wouldn't save any money..... And coming back in 24h it would be suspicious in border customs I believe.

I came a lot but I always waited a couple months ( also because my husband travels a lot because his job so it was perfect )

y59om4.png

Filed: Timeline

Thanks everyone, finally some innovative ideas! I really appreciate this! We've talked over everything you mentioned and have a basic gameplan. A couple questions.

For the spouse visa sponsor income requirements, can my personal savings count towards that? How about the members of his family he lives with?

We're considering having him come to the US for a month to marry with the ESTA thing (the fiance visa sounds stressful costly and a giant waste of time) and have a simple courthouse wedding, saving the "real" one for later with family and such. Can I do this legally?

Finally, if he can prove he'll be returning and has heavy ties to his own country, will he be likely to have an issue getting into the border here in the US because he has a love interest here? Should he mention that we're serious or try to downplay it? (how much info should he reveal)

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.