Snag

9/11 and How it Changed Immigration/Travel

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Oh boy, is my skin looking a bit red, blue and white to you guys? Star spangled banner?

Anyway, I suppose it will be 9/11 in a few days, which, of course, brings one tragedy thirteen years ago to mind. It really didn't affect me - I mean, as an Australian living in Australia. My aunt is American and was hit hard with it. I know the day was entwined with such loss and I think the whole world felt it in a way. But, maybe being married to an American and being in America has perhaps made me realise the loss more significantly. Quite a number of people in my husband's life were shaken by it.

I know that immigration and airport security was more relaxed before the event occured - how did 9/11 change this? What were the reforms? Does anyone have a personal account of travel to/from/in the US prior to 9/11? Or an immigration testimony prior?

My intent is not to bring up old sores and wounds from the past, and I apologise if I have done that with creating such a thread.

You used to be able to meet people at the gate without a ticket. My mom has memories of her dad going on business trips and waving goodbye to them from the plane, they'd look at the windows for the waving hand.

It was nice to have people waiting for you right when you got off the plane.

Some time after, I went through a security line that was so long it went into another terminal. Took about 3 hours. Another change: they had to change the security from private companies to a federal agency.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I was flying on 9/11, between Auckland NZ and San Francisco. In the middle of the flight, in the middle of the night really, my plane did a U turn, and we landed back in NZ in the morning. As air space was closed, and remained so for days, fuel considerations meant it was wise to turn back. I was surprised when we were finally allowed to open the shades, and saw the Manukau Harbor again.

No way to find out what was going on, the flight crew weren't saying. All we could get from them was that airspace was closed. I thought that was mad, I mean yes an airport or two, but the entire country?!? I was all the way back home, before I was able to turn on the TV and find out. Very grim.

I flew out again, on the 16th, and made the trip. On the way up, security didn't seem a big deal, but on the return flights, in October, it was very heavy. Between check-in, and my gate, I was asked, but armed National Guardsmen, for photo ID, 11 times. Mind I was in areas I couldn't have got to without having shown it already.

I flew back and forth twice a year, in the time before 9/11. I continued to fly back and forth afterward, for the next 8 years, and every time I did it seemed to get more tense, and for the passengers, more annoying. Pat downs, my bags taken apart and everything dumped out, the lining pulled out, stupid little things like no proper cutlery, show ID every time you turn around, take off your shoes, no liquids, and on and on. All that makes for sobering travel. I resolved the best thing was to pick a place and stay there.

I can't even really say any of the TSA stuff helps. They are still demanding people take of their shoes, and have puny little bits of liquid, not even allowed water you buy airside. Meanwhile, as it is common knowledge they are looking for that stuff, what, pray tell, have the bad guys moved on to? Anything TSA is looking for?

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Before 9-11 we were welcomed home when flying into the USA didnt matter if you were Muslim Christian or any other religion you had a blue passport we were welcomed home.............now its where did you go why did you go there and a million other questions.......and no welcome home :(

We flew back home Nov of 2001 we were shocked at the security and treatment of people returning home we had expected more questions about what we had been doing out of country but what we were met with just wow.

sara

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You used to be able to meet people at the gate without a ticket. My mom has memories of her dad going on business trips and waving goodbye to them from the plane, they'd look at the windows for the waving hand.

It was nice to have people waiting for you right when you got off the plane.

Ugh. That would have been lovely. Now it's, "Wait at the bag carrier and oh, wait, it's Bag Carrier #3 not #6." Ha.

I can't even really say any of the TSA stuff helps. They are still demanding people take of their shoes, and have puny little bits of liquid, not even allowed water you buy airside. Meanwhile, as it is common knowledge they are looking for that stuff, what, pray tell, have the bad guys moved on to? Anything TSA is looking for?

Wow, your whole account was fascinating. Yes, indeed. I find it quite surprising that water bought three feet apart from one another has a totally different quality!

Before 9-11 we were welcomed home when flying into the USA didnt matter if you were Muslim Christian or any other religion you had a blue passport we were welcomed home.............now its where did you go why did you go there and a million other questions.......and no welcome home :(

Yes, it is quite sad. My American aunt speaks of similar.

Thanks, guys. That was all interesting.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I will never forget the phrase that was told to me by then-Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-CO), right before he got frisked and "wanded" at the SeaTac airport security checkpoint in November 2001.

"It is amazing how nineteen men changed this country."

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Water or any liquid you buy airside is allowed.

Liquids you buy landside (before you go through security) are not allowed.

Edited by mamaSue

Old and Grumpy....But an American Citizen!!!

I last flew in 2013 LIT to BNA. Bought water airside, and had it consficated by TSA. Domestic flight, no less.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.