egypt.w&z

Interview stage - doesn't speak English well

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi all, just a general question for anyone with experience or knowledge.

I know it's not a visa requirement to speak English fluently (or at all), but will it be a potential problem passing the interview, other than just needing an Arabic speaking translator, as long as all other DV lottery qualifications are met?

I guess I'm over-thinking that the CO might feel that someone who can't speak English very well yet will be more likely to become a public charge. Again, I know speaking English is not one of the requirements, so it can't disqualify someone, but does a CO have any discretion in these cases? I certainly hope not!!!

Thanks and good luck to all :goofy:

Hi all, just a general question for anyone with experience or knowledge.

I know it's not a visa requirement to speak English fluently (or at all), but will it be a potential problem passing the interview, other than just needing an Arabic speaking translator, as long as all other DV lottery qualifications are met?

I guess I'm over-thinking that the CO might feel that someone who can't speak English very well yet will be more likely to become a public charge. Again, I know speaking English is not one of the requirements, so it can't disqualify someone, but does a CO have any discretion in these cases? I certainly hope not!!!

Thanks and good luck to all :goofy:

Hi egypt.w&z

don't worry at all !!!

they will ask you if you want translator or not. and i know they all in embassy know Arabic well :idea:

Timeline

Thank you, Aswanco :star: My fiancé is working on his English, but will definitely ask for a translator. I was also thinking about insha'Allah when he travels to his POE airport (probably San Francisco), how do the immigration officers handle non-English speaking people? Insha'Allah I will be waiting at the airport for him so they can call me when he gets there if I need to help explain anything, and I've heard some people bring a letter with them in English explaining to the officer their immigration situation and that they don't speak English well.

Congratulations on your naturalization :dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I would HOPE they don't base their choices on who gets a Visa by not speaking English well, but I think we can see that those who don't speak English well make it here because I can't understand a lot of foreigners lololol I can't even understand my OWN English! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Timeline

I would HOPE they don't base their choices on who gets a Visa by not speaking English well, but I think we can see that those who don't speak English well make it here because I can't understand a lot of foreigners lololol I can't even understand my OWN English! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're totally right, I guess I'm over-thinking stuff at this point :lol:

My father's parents immigrated here before he was born and they never learned to speak English, so I've seen it first-hand!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

You're totally right, I guess I'm over-thinking stuff at this point :lol:

My father's parents immigrated here before he was born and they never learned to speak English, so I've seen it first-hand!

hehe! They can choose to learn it better or continue to confuse us Americans bahaha

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

we do not blame you. English is said to be one of the hardest languages to learn

April 15, 2014 : I-129F Package Sent

April 19, 2014 : I-129F Package Delivery Confirmation via USPS

April 24, 2014 - NOA1 received via email/text

April 25, 2014 - Alien Registration Number changed

April 28, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail.

May 23, 2014 - RFE received in mail.

June 5, 2014 - Response to RFE Sent

June 11, 2014 - NOA2 Approval via website!!!

June 14, 2014 - NOA2 received in mail.

June 24, 2014 - NVC Case # via phone!

June 25, 2014 - NVC forwarded case to Embassy

June 26, 2014 - Embassy received case.

June 26, 2014 - NVC letter in mail.

August 4-5, 2014 - Medical

August 6, 2014 - CFO Seminar

August 13, 2014 - VIsa Interview (Expedited)

August 19, 2014 - VISA ready for pick up!

August 20, 2014 - Packet 3 Arrived

August 26, 2014 - POE!

August 26, 2014 - Notice to schedule an Interview...

October 23, 2014 - AOS/EAD Package Sent

October 30, 2014 - NOA1 via website

November 1, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail

November 6, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment Scheduled in mail

November 19, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment

Yeah. English may be difficult to learn in the sense of precisely getting the grammar right all the time, but it is pretty easy to be able understand and make yourself understood in it. It's pretty pointless IMO to move to a country where you are not prepared to learn at least the basics of the language. If nothing else that's a good way to condemn yourself to minimum wage jobs forever.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you, Aswanco :star: My fiancé is working on his English, but will definitely ask for a translator. I was also thinking about insha'Allah when he travels to his POE airport (probably San Francisco), how do the immigration officers handle non-English speaking people? Insha'Allah I will be waiting at the airport for him so they can call me when he gets there if I need to help explain anything, and I've heard some people bring a letter with them in English explaining to the officer their immigration situation and that they don't speak English well.

You know fiances don't get DV greencards, only husbands right?

Timeline

Yep, I know :) At this point, we aren't doing a K-1 or CR-1 visa for him, so he's doing the DV lottery on his own. I'm very familiar with the different types of visas, thx!

Edited by egypt.w&z

dont worry about that too!!! the POE so easy : they don't talk to much, you can send him letter about what to say.... i used to live in Oregon state when i come to us first time and went to school for ESL class... it help me a lot ...insha'Allah ...

thanks for the congrats!!!

p.s.

if you need anything ? feel free and inbox me here...

Good luck for both of you

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Yep, I know :) At this point, we aren't doing a K-1 or CR-1 visa for him, so he's doing the DV lottery on his own. I'm very familiar with the different types of visas, thx!

Not really understanding. Why don't you get married so he can get a DV visa?

Not really understanding. Why don't you get married so he can get a DV visa?

I get the impression she is a USC. Why she doesn't want to sponsor him I don't know, maybe not adequate income?

I get the impression she is a USC. Why she doesn't want to sponsor him I don't know, maybe not adequate income?

he's DOING DV lottery so that mean she or he don't need that now till he got here, and the DV lottery is easy without any stress or waiting time, they decide whats right for them.... thx for advice

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.