JayJayH

Removing Conditions - No divorce decree

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I haven't been on here for a while, but I appreciate all the help received on here previously.

My wife and I got married in March 2011, and I entered the US on a CR-1 in December 2012. My conditional residency expires on December 6th, 2014. Wife moved out and left in May 2013, we got back together for a second go in November 2013 and finally parted ways and separated in February of this year. I'm filing for a California summary dissolution of marriage in a couple of weeks (they're $435 :wacko:).

I'm fairly fluent in the IR-1/CR-1 process, but nonetheless spoke to a lawyer regarding the ROC.. He wants $4,500, and boasts he has never lost an ROC case. I'm tempted, but after the divorce, I'm struggling to even set aside $435 for the divorce filing fee.

More pressing however, is the issue of filing without a divorce decree. It takes 6 months in CA to get the dissolution of marriage approved, but I have to file for ROC in just a little over 4 months. I've looked over some timelines on here, and it seems like the case gets handled like normal, then an RFE is sent out if the divorce decree is missing? My understanding then, is that if I still don't have the divorce decree, the case is denied and brought before an immigration judge, at which time the judge generally extends the case until a divorce decree is available?

Have I gotten this correct?

You still have to start the process of the ROC even if your divorce isn't final because you would definitely face problems later on if you don't do so. Also you mentioned your card is expires in December meaning that you would have to file the ROC petition 90 days before so that would be in September. You do have the right to sue your wife for support because she still is your sponsor and legally required to support you and divorce doesn't change that. Even if you're not granted alimony the AOS is a whole other matter and you would be entitled for support at 125% of the poverty level. I think that's how it works how you mentioned, they deny the case and then send you to an IJ, you can't get deported without having time to prove your case before an IJ. They care about the legitimacy of the marriage, meaning that as long as you can prove the bona fides of your marriage and that it was entered into with good faith your ROC will be granted, even after divorce. It is best to have a lawyer, but $4500 may be pushing it, does he have excellent recommendations or is he another LIAR or thief with title as we call them in the DR?

This does not constitute legal advice.

You still have to start the process of the ROC even if your divorce isn't final because you would definitely face problems later on if you don't do so. Also you mentioned your card is expires in December meaning that you would have to file the ROC petition 90 days before so that would be in September. You do have the right to sue your wife for support because she still is your sponsor and legally required to support you and divorce doesn't change that. Even if you're not granted alimony the AOS is a whole other matter and you would be entitled for support at 125% of the poverty level. I think that's how it works how you mentioned, they deny the case and then send you to an IJ, you can't get deported without having time to prove your case before an IJ. They care about the legitimacy of the marriage, meaning that as long as you can prove the bona fides of your marriage and that it was entered into with good faith your ROC will be granted, even after divorce. It is best to have a lawyer, but $4500 may be pushing it, does he have excellent recommendations or is he another LIAR or thief with title as we call them in the DR?

No, this is wrong. A i-864 is a contract between the sponsor and the gov, it is not a personal guarantee that the sponsor give the immigrant money.

Please stop spreading misinformation.

OP: you can apply as divorced without the decree, and then get RFEs until you can produce the decree. Your understanding is correct. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

One post advocating illegal activity and another post superfluous in nature have been removed.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Timeline

You can file with a waiver even if you are not divorced. You will file,then get the Notice of Action, and eventually when USCIS gets around to it, an RFE for the divorce decree, then have 87 days from then. Given that you don't even have to file until December, you should have plenty of time. Don't be in a hurry to file, wait until mid-November.

And yes you will still have to prove the marriage was entered in good faith. Being on good terms with and getting the help of your ex will be a big help.

my thoughts to you is if you are decided about divorcing, do it ASAP!! I am also in CA and held on to the last bit of hope before finally filing for divorce. Now my divorce is still pending and my RFE is due August 11, obviously I still don't have it so I will be sending in a letter explaining why I waited until the last minute and will more than likely have an interview and/or see an IJ

ROC (Divorce Waiver)- CSC

2/14/14- Filed for Divorce

2/28/14- Sent I751 Packet (divorce pending)

3/3/14- NOA1 (receipt date)

3/5/14- Check Cashed & NOA1 Received in the Mail

3/6/14- GC Expired

3/11/14- Received Biometrics Appt. Letter (for 3/28)

3/21/14- Biometrics (done 1 week early)

5/20/14- RFE received for divorce decree/more evidence

8/8/14- Submitted further evidence, no divorce decree yet

9/12/14- I751 Denial received

10/8/14- Divorce finalized

10/14/14- Sent I751 Packet again, with divorce decree! (Refiling)

10/15/14- NOA1 (receipt date)

10/17/14- Check Cashed

11/03/14- Biometrics Done

3/6/14- 1 Year Extension Expired

3/24/15- I551 Stamp in Passport (1 year extension)

4/16/15- APPROVED! E-mail & Text Received

4/20/15- Approval Letter Received via Mail

4/25/15- GC in hand! Happy Birthday to me! :)

My waiver filing happened in October 2013 (my divorce was fully finalized by then) and I didn't get approved until July 2014. It's entirely likely that the USCIS will receive your package, send you an NOA, then sit on it for months before actually checking if all the info is correct etc. I get the feeling that divorce waiver filings are not their top priority. It's entirely likely you'll have your divorce decree LONG before the RFE gets sent.

Good luck with it, divorce is a rough road, but one well worth it for the future you deserve. :)

Ready for my grand ol' timeline? Alrighty then!

10-05-10 - Married in California
06-13-11 - I-130 approved
10-13-11 - CASE COMPLETE!
12-02-11 - Interview - 221g due to a washed passport
12-17-11 - POE - YYC (preclearance in Canada)

2011 to 2013 - Life happened

06-26-13 - Divorce finalized

10-07-13 - I-751 divorce filer paperwork journey begins

07-03-14 - ROC interview - approval pending delayed background checks

07-25-14 - APPROVED! 10 year GC is finally in production!

08-01-14 - 10 year GC in hand. The journey has finally ended. :)

2014 to 2020 - Living paperwork-free and focused on me!

11-09-20 - N-400 filed online - welcome back VJ fam!

6-22-21 - Interview in Nashville, approved! And then...

6-22-21 - Pledge of Allegiance taken. Holy shirtballs I'm a US Citizen.

I've spent so many years in the loving arms of the USCIS, but now it's time to fledge. So long, my friends, may all your journeys also end on the doorstep of whatever you're searching for.

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys!

OP: you can apply as divorced without the decree, and then get RFEs until you can produce the decree. Your understanding is correct. Good luck.

Does this mean I can file for ROC today, even though I have not yet filed for divorce? It's a money issue, and thus priority issue at this point ($500 to file divorce here in CA), but I've always thought I could not file for ROC unless the divorce has actually been filed.. My card expires on 12/6/2014.

Also.. We wrote up this agreement together, and agree on the terms. Does this look like something I could also use as an affidavit from my soon-to-be ex wife? I'm keeping one of the cars and the mutual bank account. She's keeping the other car and the ring (both cars were in her name for credit reasons). We have no kids, and we're on rocky but decent terms.

(I apologize for the blacked out areas. I prefer to stay as anonymous as possible)

my thoughts to you is if you are decided about divorcing, do it ASAP!! I am also in CA and held on to the last bit of hope before finally filing for divorce. Now my divorce is still pending and my RFE is due August 11, obviously I still don't have it so I will be sending in a letter explaining why I waited until the last minute and will more than likely have an interview and/or see an IJ

I see in your signature that your I-751 was denied. Was this due to not producing a divorce decree?

post-98898-0-81808100-1412287077_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yang-Ja

You can file with a waiver even if you are not divorced. You will file,then get the Notice of Action, and eventually when USCIS gets around to it, an RFE for the divorce decree, then have 87 days from then. Given that you don't even have to file until December, you should have plenty of time. Don't be in a hurry to file, wait until mid-November.

And yes you will still have to prove the marriage was entered in good faith. Being on good terms with and getting the help of your ex will be a big help.

So basically.. File for divorce ASAP. Wait a month or so, and then file for ROC?

Seems logical, in that it would give a little bit of a head start on the divorce decree. And I have until the expiry date on my conditional GC to file the ROC - Correct?

Just a follow-up.

I've consulted two lawyers about this. One wanted $4500, and told me he does these all the time, and it should be a no brainer. Said he's never seen an I-751 denied at his office. He did sound like he knew exactly what he was talking about. $4500 sounds a bit extreme though..

The other wanted $750 (quite a big difference), but she has a hotmail address, and told me that unless I can prove abuse or extreme hardship, waivers can be very difficult to get, and that I should read up on the requirements for extreme hardship.

What's a "fair" price to pay a lawyer for an I-751 waiver?

Yes, I my I751 was denied due to lack of divorce decree. If you're sure about divorce, don't wait! File for divorce ASAP, my ex and I came to a mutual agreement and to this day I am still waiting for my final judgement to be signed. It has been 7 months and counting for me here in CA. Your window to file for I751 opens 90 days before your GC expires.

Thanks guys!

Does this mean I can file for ROC today, even though I have not yet filed for divorce? It's a money issue, and thus priority issue at this point ($500 to file divorce here in CA), but I've always thought I could not file for ROC unless the divorce has actually been filed.. My card expires on 12/6/2014.

Also.. We wrote up this agreement together, and agree on the terms. Does this look like something I could also use as an affidavit from my soon-to-be ex wife? I'm keeping one of the cars and the mutual bank account. She's keeping the other car and the ring (both cars were in her name for credit reasons). We have no kids, and we're on rocky but decent terms.

(I apologize for the blacked out areas. I prefer to stay as anonymous as possible)

I see in your signature that your I-751 was denied. Was this due to not producing a divorce decree?

ROC (Divorce Waiver)- CSC

2/14/14- Filed for Divorce

2/28/14- Sent I751 Packet (divorce pending)

3/3/14- NOA1 (receipt date)

3/5/14- Check Cashed & NOA1 Received in the Mail

3/6/14- GC Expired

3/11/14- Received Biometrics Appt. Letter (for 3/28)

3/21/14- Biometrics (done 1 week early)

5/20/14- RFE received for divorce decree/more evidence

8/8/14- Submitted further evidence, no divorce decree yet

9/12/14- I751 Denial received

10/8/14- Divorce finalized

10/14/14- Sent I751 Packet again, with divorce decree! (Refiling)

10/15/14- NOA1 (receipt date)

10/17/14- Check Cashed

11/03/14- Biometrics Done

3/6/14- 1 Year Extension Expired

3/24/15- I551 Stamp in Passport (1 year extension)

4/16/15- APPROVED! E-mail & Text Received

4/20/15- Approval Letter Received via Mail

4/25/15- GC in hand! Happy Birthday to me! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.