hotmom17

Passport

12 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-4 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Do i really need to apply for passport after citizenship?

MoM

July 29 --- sent i130

July 31 --- USCIS received

August 1 Priority date
Aug 11 Received NOA1

Sept 29 - NOA2

Oct 11 DS 261 Done

Oct 11 Paid AOS fee

Oct 16 PAID status for AOS Nov 1 IV Fee invoice and Pay

Nov 3 AOS and IV Package Sent

Nov 6 Scan Date

DEC 31 CASE COMPLETE

Feb 5 - Interview @ 615 am (cancelled due to sputum test)

Jan 20-21 medical

Feb 3-5 Sputum Test

April 17 interview @ US Embassy - PASSED

June 30 TOUCHDOWN NY WITH ME AND MY KIDS....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's up to you. But if you want to travel abroad, it's a good idea to apply for US passport for your convenience.

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

Filed: Timeline

If Cost is an issue, apply for passport card instead.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card/Difference-Between-Passport-Book-and-Card.html

Mom sponsoring for her son(my brother)

06/15/2010 : I-130 for son
06/23/2010 : Check Cashed
06/26/2010 : Received NOA
03/20/2012 : Received RFE(I-797E)
05/23/2012: Application approved after RFE response
06/29/2012: Received letter from NVC

06/03/2015: Change petition from F1 to F3 category

Checklist :
1. I-751(ROC)
2. Parents AOS
3. I-130(Son)
4. N-400(Spouse)

5. N-400(Parents)

6. K-1 & AOS & ROC TimeLine

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Just to add to what others have already said, if you want to travel abroad, you must use a US passport. You should not exit or enter the US on a foreign passport if you are a US citizen.

From the State Department Website:

"Most U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States."

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html

Once you're abroad, though, you are free to use your other passport.

If you have no intention of ever traveling abroad, then you don't need to get a passport, but it is good to have: it's easier and cheaper to replace than a naturalization certificate and it counts as proof of citizenship.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

thanks everyone. yes, I don't have plan of travelling for now. but im planning to petition my mom. do you think its one of the requirements?

MoM

July 29 --- sent i130

August 1 Priority date
Aug 11 Received NOA1

Sept 29 - NOA2

Oct 11 DS 261 Done

Oct 11 Paid AOS fee

Nov 6 Scan Date

DEC 31 CASE COMPLETE

Jan 20-21 medical

Feb 3-5 Sputum Test

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

thanks everyone. yes, I don't have plan of travelling for now. but im planning to petition my mom. do you think its one of the requirements?

No.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The problem with the card is that it is really only useful for identification and land and sea crossings between the USA, Canada and Mexico. You can also use if for a cruise. Other than that, I find them pretty much useless. I would always suggest paying the extra and getting the passport book.

Timeline

No.

THANKS!!!

MoM

July 29 --- sent i130

August 1 Priority date
Aug 11 Received NOA1

Sept 29 - NOA2

Oct 11 DS 261 Done

Oct 11 Paid AOS fee

Nov 6 Scan Date

DEC 31 CASE COMPLETE

Jan 20-21 medical

Feb 3-5 Sputum Test

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Think of it this way - do you want to cart your big old Citizenship certificate out every time you need proof for something? Its a diploma sized piece of paper which could easily rip, get dirty or be destroyed inadvertently. Its a ton easier to have the passport, its good for 10 yrs and its a good form of ID when needed.

Mine is snug as a bug in a rug in our fire safe... its a valuable possession

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

One post removed for nonresponsiveness and clouding the issue. The appropriate answer to the OP's query is a simple "no."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.