DirtyHarry

Tax extension RFE????

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

I am filling out my I-864 and I am stressed. I make enough money to support my wife and step daughter. I filed an extension for the year 2013 for my taxes. I have an e mail from TurboTax as a confirmation. I plan to send the email confirmation, my W2 for 2013 as well as my tax transcripts from 2012, 2011, 2010 along with a letter from my employer and 2 recent pay stubs.

I am just afraid of getting an RFE asking me for my tax return. I had an RFE earlier to prove that i had a bonafide relationship and I am at the edge of my patience.

Is this fairly common to get an RFE for tax extension? I will be filing my taxes this week. But it will take a few weeks for the transcripts to come through and i do not want to wait.

What should I do? Please guide.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I am filling out my I-864 and I am stressed. I make enough money to support my wife and step daughter. I filed an extension for the year 2013 for my taxes. I have an e mail from TurboTax as a confirmation. I plan to send the email confirmation, my W2 for 2013 as well as my tax transcripts from 2012, 2011, 2010 along with a letter from my employer and 2 recent pay stubs.

I am just afraid of getting an RFE asking me for my tax return. I had an RFE earlier to prove that i had a bonafide relationship and I am at the edge of my patience.

Is this fairly common to get an RFE for tax extension? I will be filing my taxes this week. But it will take a few weeks for the transcripts to come through and i do not want to wait.

If you file this week, no worries. You don't need a transcript; you can just send a copy of your return and your W2 :)

USCIS

1-130 received 12/6/13

NOA 1: 12/9/13

NOA 2: 5/20/14

NVC

Case Number assigned: 6/20/14 (called and operator to find out, still unable to log in)

FINALLY able to log in, DS-261 available: 7/7/14

DS-261 completed: 7/7/14

AOS Fee Invoiced : 7/9/14

AOS Fee Paid: 7/9/14

AOS Fee shows as paid in CEAC: 7/11/14

AOS packet sent: 7/11/14 (via FedEx, guaranteed delivery by Monday, 7/14/14)

AOS packet delivered (per FedEx tracking): 7/14/14

IV Invoiced and paid: 7/14/14

IV Invoice shows as paid and DS-260 available: 7/15/14

DS-260 submitted: 7/15/14

IV packet sent: 7/17 (via FedEx overnight, guaranteed delivery by Friday, 7/18)

AOS Packet scanned in: 7/17 (found out via phone call)

IV packet scanned in: 7/22

AOS APPROVED!! 9/9

Case Complete: 9/11

Interview Scheduled: 10/3/14

Interview: 11/10/14

I don't think you need the transcript if you are filing your return this week. Just include a copy of the 2013 return. I think the transcripts are requested when you don't have a copy of your returns.

Filed: Timeline

If you do not send your 2013 taxes, or a letter stating why it was not necessary for you to file a 2013 tax return, then I think you have a very good chance of being issued a new RFE requesting them. I would expedite the completion of your taxes so you can send a copy with your petition - making sure to include every single page of your tax filling, included W-2's, 1099's, etc.

Came to US on a TN "Visa" from Canada, fell in love, married USC, and now filing for AOS based on marriage to USC

TN Visa Approved at Border 3-1-2013 (Canadian Citizen)

May 2014 - Completed I-693 Medical Process with Civil Surgeon

6-7-2014 Married to USC

7-15-14 Sent AOS Package via USPS Priority Mail Day 1

7-17-14 NOA for all parts of AOS package, EAD, and AP Day 3

7-21-14 Checks cashed Day 6

8-13-14 Biometrics 8-13-14 Day 28 (Did not walk in early, went on scheduled day/time)

8-27-14 Online status showed case moved to Testing and interview Day 42

9-10-14 Status update - AP and EAD approved, card production ordered Day 55

9-17-14 AP and EAD Combo Card received Day 62

10-15-14 Online status change, assigning interview date DAY 90

11-1#-14 Interview, approved at end of interview, green card should arrive in 2-3 weeks per approval letter DAY 120

11-1#-14 Evening of interview - received "Card Production Ordered" email update DAY 120 (NO RFE throughout process)

Looking forward to:

8-1#-16 Begin Removal of Conditions Process

8-1#-17 Begin Naturalization Process

There are legitimate reasons people file for extensions. I don't think that should not be an issue though. What NVC is looking is for financial support, so the 2013 W2 should suffice, provided the previous years have been filed. No?

1) the NVC does NOT issue RFEs. They issue checklists that ask for very specific items.

2) OP will need to send the the proof that he filed for a tax extension (keep in mind that doesn't not absolve you from PAYING taxes.)

3) The NVC may accept the tax extension and the consulate or embassy may not as they have the final say on all the documentation. So while the NVC may say "tax extension? sure okay" the consular officer may issue a 221g asking for the 2013 tax return. You can always amend your taxes after your spouse arrives FYI.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I spoke with NVC twice and they said yes we can send proof of extension and to also send the prior 2 years filings. That should suffice.

As for what embassy will do, no telling. But, actually the embassy should not be forcing people to file taxes when there are legitimate reasons for citizens to delay filings. Their business is to make sure you have sufficient funds to sponsor your beneficiaries. Now if someone has not filed taxes in awhile, then that may be a different case altogether. Just say'n.

Given that you filed for an extension, my bet is your taxes are a bit more complicated than the average person here on VJ. The USCIS wants a COMPELTE tax return which is more than the 1040 and W-2s like most people here suggest. In your situation, I would send in the extension proof. That gives you until October 15th to FILE your taxes. Once you do file your taxes, get a tax transcript for future dealing with the USICS (AOS, ROC, Naturalization), but I would not hurry just because of the pending petition as you are complying with the IRS rules.

I agree with you that the USCIS and the Embassy should be making sure the USC 1) is following the laws of the US by filing a tax return if so required, and 2) has sufficient means to financially support the foreign spouse and other family members if applicable.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Turbo Tax is great, right?

But if you are ready to file it this week - I suggest something else:

PRINT OUT 2 sets of your tax return. Then walk both into a local IRS OFFICE - ask the clerk to accept ONE but stamp BOTH SETS.

Take the 2nd set and send it off to NVC with the I-864 set.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.