Felix 1

Removing condition, while going through a painful seperation

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi Guys, my 2 year GC expires in Dec 2014, when is the earliest time i can start the process of applying for my permanent green card? I am going through a seperation with my wife which will become final sometime in the middle of next year, what extra precaution do i need to take to ensure i present all facts clearly, special evidence of bonafide marriage. From the look of things, it might be a messy divorce, as she insists she cannot share custody of our baby with me. Most of my immigration documents were taken away by her when she filed false domestic violence charges in court, which was eventually thrown out.To be honest, i will struggle to retrieve the lost documents. I will appreciate your help, as i navigate this painful process.

Hi Guys, my 2 year GC expires in Dec 2014, when is the earliest time i can start the process of applying for my permanent green card? I am going through a seperation with my wife which will become final sometime in the middle of next year, what extra precaution do i need to take to ensure i present all facts clearly, special evidence of bonafide marriage. From the look of things, it might be a messy divorce, as she insists she cannot share custody of our baby with me. Most of my immigration documents were taken away by her when she filed false domestic violence charges in court, which was eventually thrown out.To be honest, i will struggle to retrieve the lost documents. I will appreciate your help, as i navigate this painful process.

You can submit your application for your permanent green card 3 months before your green card expires...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

It seems like you are removing conditions on your Green Card, not adjusting your status. You may want to post your question in the "Removal of Conditions" forum, so you can get better replies.

K1 Visa
Feb. 29, 2012: I-129F sent
March 8, 2012: NOA1 (VSC)
August 30, 2012: NOA2
Oct. 1, 2012: Packet 3 received
Nov. 3, 2012: Packet 4 received
Nov. 15, 2012: Interview - approved!
Jan. 18, 2013: POE New York Seaport
Feb. 2, 2013: Wedding

AOS
March 6, 2013: AOS Package sent
March 12, 2013: I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA's
March 29, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

May 10, 2013: EAD/AP approved
Sept. 5, 2013: "Potential Interview Waiver Case" letter received
Nov. 2, 2013: AOS approved (no interview)

ROC
Aug. 4, 2015: I-751 sent
Aug. 6, 2015: NOA1 (CSC)
Sept. 4, 2015: Biometrics Appointment
Feb. 10, 2016: ROC approved

Dual Citizenship
Aug. 26, 2016: BBG application sent (permit to retain German citizenship)
Nov. 21, 2016: BBG approval notice received (p/u at German Honorary Consulate, OKC: Feb. 6, 2017)
Dec. 8, 2016: N-400 sent
Dec. 12, 2016: Priority Date (NBC)

Jan. 9, 2017: Biometrics Appointment

Aug. 31, 2017: In-Line for Interview

Sept. 6, 2017: Interview Scheduled

Oct. 16, 2017: Interview

Oct. 25, 2017: Oath Appointment Letter received

Nov. 1, 2017: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You need those documents and you will need to be divorced to remove conditions by yourself.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

If you are filing jointly the petition to remove conditions on residence you can submit your application 90 days before your green card expires. Here is the link for the instruction... On the first page you will see a section with the title "When should I file form I-751?" You will also find a section talking about the evidence you can provide...in your case your baby's birth certificate is a strong evidence...http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-751instr.pdf I hope this help!

As you're probably not going to be filing a joint removal of conditions, you'll check the box for the divorce waiver. And as your divorce will not be final yet, you'll still need to file in the 90 day window before the your green card expires. You should be working on gathering up all the evidence of a valid marriage during this time. A divorce attorney should be able to assist you in getting the documents she is keeping from you. Your immigration paperwork is still your immigration paperwork. Although this might be a bit futile if she's destroyed them, she could still be held accountable for the cost of replacing some of these things, ie green card, passport etc... If its gotten this ugly, its certainly time to lawyer up and let him handle the divorce while you concentrate on getting things together for the removal of conditions.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Timeline

Felix make you fit try reconcile with your wife at least to relax the tension? Reach agreement that is favorable to both of you and get a less dramatic divorce? I wish you had studied her 100% to understand how to manouver her traps before things got out of hand. I would suggest you get your lawyer engaged in trying to reach a desirable agreement for you two. No matter how hard it seem, just iniate this move and follow it through... The lawyer should be able to make her understand how and why she can't get the sole custody of your child. I mean she can have the physical custody while you have a visitation right! I don't see how the court would grant all her prayers in this case and therefore, try to avoid the lengthy litigation that is looming by being proactive... Goodluck!

Timeline

I am very thrilled at all the helpful suggestions being offered here. Yes, I have an attorney working on my case (s) and the bills are piling up. From the first domestic violence hearing (which was dismissed) to her de novo appeal of the domestic violence dismissal, to the second degree assault charge she has also brought upon me. In between her attorneys reached out to us for a settlement , promising to drop all charges, if only i can give up contesting for shared custody of my baby and paying her over $500 per month. I did not sign the agreement.

Onye uwaoma, ask me wetin cause all this yawa? She and her mama dey jazz my food, i catch them, dem come begin panic, go report to police, claiming domestic violence days ago. Its exhausting, but i have started the process of gathering evidence, but my fear is will my evidence be enough? If i have evidence of what she did, can i bring it to the interview?

Filed: Timeline

Wahala no good at all at all... E don happen but next time make you use your church mind follow this kind kasala. Why them wan jazz you and you come find out na to help waka jeje on your own. Now for your situation dey pitiable but you go surely come out if you don't faint. I believe with the help of your lawyer your roc will be fine... It doesn't matter how good or bad your marriage become, what matters na whether una marry for real at the time and no fraud involve. Sorry for your palaba. I believe no matter how messy your case is at the moment, things can fit turn around for good. Relax some of these tensions and find a way to settle with your her. If she fear that you can put her into trouble, then you must have acted ahead of time to incapacitate you. So don't forget to swallow so of those bitter pills and pursue some level of peace going forward and you'll be fine after. Just a friendly suggestion. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

UPDATE:

We were in court this week for the second time , the fake domestic violence case was once again dismissed. Thank God. At this point do i need to inform the USCIS of my current add and status. Divorce has not been filed yet, but we live separately.

start the divorce process ASAP. I am not sure about the divorce law in your state but taking in consideration the other partner involved and she may give you hard time to sign the divorce paper, so it might take longer time to get the divorce. you will need a divorce decree later on for ROC. So, if I were you, I would have 2 lawyers , one family lawyer and one for the immigration. It's very good that the domestic violence accusation got dismissed by the judge, you will need all that paper work. Finally, since she is using domestic violence trying to get you in trouble, Now on, don't meet her alone , you never know what she might do this time! I wish you all the best and I hope things get sorted out for you

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Also, I would recommend you talk to immigration lawyer to see your options! it might be useful to file ROC based on abuse , she keeps accuse you of domestic violence! because the divorce might take more than a year and if you file ROC based on divorce waiver like on December then expect uscis will send you a RFE by March asking for the divorce decree and they will give a month or 2 to send the papers back , and by that time I don't think your divorce with her will be finalized. Then, uscis might deny your ROC. So, it's good to start looking at your immigration situation more closely and consult a lawyer. I am also thinking since she is holding your immigration documents, it's already in her mind the idea to make trouble for you so you don't stay in the country so she can keep you away from your kid. So, she is doing nasty actions, and it's your time to move smartly to protect your status, and your rights.

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

You do have the right to sue your wife for support because she still is your sponsor and legally required to support you and divorce doesn't change that.

How do you go about suing for support?

They care about the legitimacy of the marriage, meaning that as long as you can prove the bona fides of your marriage and that it was entered into with good faith your ROC will be granted, even after divorce.

WHAT DO YOU NEED TO PROVE MARRIAGE LEGITIMACY?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

@Felix 1

Immigration lawyers are expensive, even more so than other lawyers,,because they KNOW people gonna pay to have immigration issues resolved ASAP. How did you find this lawyer? There are some very reputed immigration lawyers such as Murthy etc, even if you can't afford them, you can ask for their recommendation for lawyers immigration lawyers in your state.

I replied to your other post on your 'domestic violence thread' . Please see if it can be useful to you.

To prove your marriage was bonafide when you entered it, in my opinion, should be similar to proving it in the first time around to USCIS and to the US embassy when you went for the interview.

Do you have the copy of the docs you took to the embassy to prove the validity of your marriage during your immigrant visa interview? If not, then it's unlikely you can get them again.

However, the initial evidences which were submitted with the original petition which is I-130 and the supporting evidence, is still with USCIS and will forever remain there as digital copies. They photo copy everything submitted to them and keep it.

You can request USCIS to send you the PDF files of these documents by using the Freedom of Information Act. Getting the docs from them is free. Please discuss it with your lawyer.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~Duplicate threads merged and one hijack post in another member's thread along with a reply to said post have been moved to this thread.~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.