kooliz

Would you hire a lawyer for your CR-1 visa?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

New to the forum, obviously. I've been reading tons of threads and cannot seem to find an answer to this question. I am a Canadian citizen who decided to get married to my American girlfriend on a whim after a long visit. Now we have to file for the CR-1 process (I-130, 485, 765, 131, 864 etc.) and wondering if we should hire a lawyer in an advisory capacity to look over all the paperwork. Are VJ's guides good enough that we can do this on our own? Any suggestions, feedback would be greatly appreciated!

-Kooliz

Our Journey

-----------------

06.26.14 Preparing paperwork for AOS from B-2 (Visitor status)

07.01.14 Medical Complete

07.03.14 Sent package [i-130, I-485, I-765, I-131, I-693 (medical] via FedEx Ground.

07.08.14 (Day 1) Packaged delivered at Chicago Lockbox and signed off by SSOLISE

07.16.14 (Day 8) NOA1 received and Rejection notices for I-765, I-130 and I-485 due to address error

07.17.14 (Day 9) Re-sent package via Fedex 2-day priority with correct address

07.21.14 (Day 1 Again) Package delivered at Chicago Lockbox and signed off by J.Chyba

07.24.14 (Day 4) Received Text notifications and Receipt numbers at 2:30 AM EST for I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131) - Lesson learned!

07.26.14 (Day 6) Cheques cashed for I-130 and I-485. Mailed NOA's on the way

07.28.14 (Day 8) Paper NOAs received for I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131. The first two in Acceptance status and the last three in the review status.

08.03.14 (Day 14) Biometrics appointment set for 08/15

08.11.14 (Day 22) Biometrics walk-in successful

08.21.14 (Day 32) Case moved to 'Testing and Interview'

09.15.14 (Day 57) EAD Card/Document in Production

09.19.14 (Day 61) EAD Card Mailed

09.20.14 (Day 62) EAD Card Received!!!!!

09.22.14 (Day 64) Applied for SSN

09.29.14 (Day 71) SSN received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I-485 never filed for cR-1 visa -

so

maybe you want to review the Guides section again?

as to any opine on Attorney,

I'll remind you this is a D I Y Immigrate to USA web portal,

with an emphasis on 'Y' actually 'D'-ing.

With all that said - Hey !

Welcome Aboard - spend some time in the Guides Section here [best studied on a PC - as handphone web browsers SUCK for real research here]

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Kooliz,

I am also canadian and recently married my American :)

We have a straight forward case (no kids, no arrests, no financial issues, no deportations) and decided to go for it without an expensive lawyer (this process will cost enough as is!) The guide here on VJ have been fantastic, and so far we have had our I-130 approved with no RFE, our case is now at the NVC.

I would say you can absolutely do this on your own. just TAKE YOUR TIME, read things twice and if you don't understand something ask around here for help! We even used a youtube guide to help put together our I-130 package.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1 here is a great place to get started!

Good luck!

Edited by Sparkles2013

Hi all,

New to the forum, obviously. I've been reading tons of threads and cannot seem to find an answer to this question. I am a Canadian citizen who decided to get married to my American girlfriend on a whim after a long visit. Now we have to file for the CR-1 process (I-130, 485, 765, 131, 864 etc.) and wondering if we should hire a lawyer in an advisory capacity to look over all the paperwork. Are VJ's guides good enough that we can do this on our own? Any suggestions, feedback would be greatly appreciated!

-Kooliz

We filed from Canada without an attorney. The guides on this site are great for doing it yourself.

Usually, people will hire an attorney to assist where there are complicated family issues (divorce, separation, etc) or some prior adverse history with immigration matters.

Good luck!

Done: I-130/CR-1, I-751/ROC

Done: I-327

From the list of forms, the OP is not doing a CR-1, but doing AOS instead. This is the guide they need: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

I would not hire a lawyer, as I did not hire a lawyer, and never even considered doing so. I did all the forms myself before finding VJ and I got no RFEs. But that's me. You might be different.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

If you hate money, hire a lawyer - they will charge, on average, $2500, to fill out forms that a 12 year old could.....it should rarely take you more than 90 minutes to complete the forms...2 hours at the outside....now, if you earn $1250 an hour, then you'll break even!

Personally, I would not hire an immigration attorney to clean my cat's litter box, for fear said attorney's physical contact with the box might transmit some disease to my cats! (hint: I think very little of immigration attorneys, as you might have guessed - they are much like TV evangelists...they both promise what they are not empowered to deliver (visas, or a front row seat in heaven), while fleecing the flock (or racking up billable hours in exchange for doing very little)....

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

You guys are all incredible. Thank you so much for all the responses and guidance. To clarify, I (Canadian) am currently in the US and the lawyer I spoke to said I might have trouble proving that I didn't come to the US on a visitor visa with the intent to marry. Maybe they are just good at freaking people out. I'll be going over the guides (http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2 being the most pertinent one to us) and filing these forms sooner than later.

Thank you again and I look forward to asking tons of questions.

Cheers

Our Journey

-----------------

06.26.14 Preparing paperwork for AOS from B-2 (Visitor status)

07.01.14 Medical Complete

07.03.14 Sent package [i-130, I-485, I-765, I-131, I-693 (medical] via FedEx Ground.

07.08.14 (Day 1) Packaged delivered at Chicago Lockbox and signed off by SSOLISE

07.16.14 (Day 8) NOA1 received and Rejection notices for I-765, I-130 and I-485 due to address error

07.17.14 (Day 9) Re-sent package via Fedex 2-day priority with correct address

07.21.14 (Day 1 Again) Package delivered at Chicago Lockbox and signed off by J.Chyba

07.24.14 (Day 4) Received Text notifications and Receipt numbers at 2:30 AM EST for I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131) - Lesson learned!

07.26.14 (Day 6) Cheques cashed for I-130 and I-485. Mailed NOA's on the way

07.28.14 (Day 8) Paper NOAs received for I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131. The first two in Acceptance status and the last three in the review status.

08.03.14 (Day 14) Biometrics appointment set for 08/15

08.11.14 (Day 22) Biometrics walk-in successful

08.21.14 (Day 32) Case moved to 'Testing and Interview'

09.15.14 (Day 57) EAD Card/Document in Production

09.19.14 (Day 61) EAD Card Mailed

09.20.14 (Day 62) EAD Card Received!!!!!

09.22.14 (Day 64) Applied for SSN

09.29.14 (Day 71) SSN received

They have to prove you had the intent, not you prove you didn't.

~~moved to AOS from visitor, student, or work visa from what visa do I need as OP has a path they are going on already~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi all,

-Kooliz

You'll hear a lot of people here tell you to do it yourself, so I thought I'd provide the viewpoint of someone who didn't. Our case is very straightforward (first marriage, adjusting from valid H1B, no criminal history, no overstays) but we still decided to hire a lawyer. I (the beneficiary) am extremely anxious when it comes to filling out official documents and my husband (the petitioner) is the opposite.

So we paid $2000 for a lawyer to fill out all the forms (I didn't find out what a I-864 was until i joined VJ later), ask me for all relevant documents (I didn't know you could submit evidence when you file - she submitted enough to sail through with no RFE), create her own checklist and remind me of what was missing, get my birth certificate translated, file the paperwork plus some additional documents later, answer all my questions during the process (and there were a lot considering I traveled on H1B while AOS was pending, my husband moved from a different state while we were filling out forms, he's a naturalized citizen, etc.), talk about what to expect from the interview, and she'll be at the interview as well.

All we did was show up, sign, and listen. And pay, of course. I wouldn't have it any other way because as much as VJ is a wonderful resource, I wanted a legal opinion to make sure we did everything right the first time. The forms are tricky, and the consequences for doing it incorrectly can very from a slight delay to something more serious, and I couldn't afford the sheer terror of thinking about it. I also work 60h a week and my husband is an airline pilot, so he's not home every night to do it with me. Having someone else contacting both of us separately for information was an enormous help.

So there you have it - the experience from someone who hired a lawyer.

We used a lawyer as we had a potential complication. Luckily everything went incredibly smoothly and fast, no RFEs and the interviewing officer approved us on the spot with no requests for other paperwork at the interview. We assume the reasons are: we front loaded, the lawyer knew exactly what to submit, and how to put it all together effectively, and I'm from a low fraud country. Who knows if we would be so successful without a lawyer. But for the peace of mind and the resulting fast and smooth approval, it was really worth the $1.5k.

AOS from VWP

17 March packet mailed (day 0)

21 March Priority Date (day 4)

27 March text/email NOAs received (day 10)

31 March hard copy NOAs received (day 14)

7 April Biometrics letter received for appt on April 28 (day 21)

11 April successful biometrics walk in (day 25)

29 April Testing and Interview ? (day 43)

8 May Date on NOA of interview schedule (day 52)

12 May received hard copy NOA of interview scheduled 16 June! (day 56) :dancing:

27 May email received stating EAD card is in production and my AP has been approved (day 71)

30 May email received stating EAD has been shipped, should arrive Monday! (Day 74)

2 June received EAD in the mail (day 77)

16 June INTERVIEW :dancing: APPROVED!!!! (day 91!!!!)

20 June email received stating Green Card picked up by USPS due to be delivered on Monday 23rd!!!

23 June my green card arrived :dance:

Total time from packet mailed to Green Card received 98 days!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Two cents from a Canadian who hired a lawyer as our case was not 100% straightforward.

I managed to seriously reduce what the lawyer would normally charge because I completed all of the forms myself and he just reviewed my work and supporting documents My lawyer was pretty impressed at how organized I was.

I had no RFE's, I had no issues at the interview and on the day of the interview the IO was ready to approve me but he was missing my I-130 which we had front-loaded. I just got approved today.

Suffice it to say, even based on your marriage after entry circumstance, you likely don't need a lawyer if you feel competent enough to fill our the forms yourself and take the time to carefully read the guide for each form. That's the key, take your time when completing the forms and making sure you submit all the required documentation.

Best of luck to you in the AOS process!

04/25/2009: First Met and not long after began a long distance relationship.

10/27/2012: Married

12/20/2013 Most recent US Entry. Two week visit intended - decided to switch from consular processing to AOS after change in circumstances.

I-130 - See my profile for detailed info

AOS

02/05/2014: I-693 Civil Surgeon Medical Exam

02/28/2014: (00) AOS sent

03/03/2014: (03) AOS received

03/05/2014: (05) NOA date

03/06/2014: (06) Cheques cashed

03/10/2014: (10) Received hardcopy of NOA's

03/17/2014: (17) Received biometrics notice (appt. date 04/07/2014)

03/18/2014: (18) Successful walk-in for biometrics Brooklyn ASC

04/10/2014: (41) AOS E-mail notification status updated to Testing and Interview

04/16/2014: (47) AOS E-mail notification Interview Appointment Notice for May 19, 2014 @ 9:30 a.m.

05/08/2014: (69) EAD card in production e-mail notification

05/14/2014: (75) EAD card mailed and tracking number e-mail notification

05/16/2014: (77) EAD card received and applied for SSN

05/19/2014: (80) AOS Interview at Federal Plaza - approval pending due to I-130 file not transferred to NYC field office from Nebraska!

06/04/2014: (96) Infopass scheduled in order to show approved I-130 notice and attempt to get I-485 approval sped up. IO wasn't at work so left copy of approved I-130 and written case review request.

06/20/2014: (112) Green card was approved.

06/26/2014: (118) Received e-mail/text notification of green card approval and that card was also mailed. Received USPS tracking number at 6:45 p.m. EST.

06/27/2014: (119) Received green card in the mailbox.

ROC

03/22/2016: (00) I-751 package sent

03/23/2016: (01) I-751 package received at CSC

03/28/2016: (07) Rcvd NOA1 that includes 1 yr GC extension

03/31/2016: (10) Rcvd Bio appt notice (appt. date 04/11/2016)

04/05/2016: (15) Early bio walk-in attempt successful

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.