MarriedinMaroc

Leave or stay with spouse to file I-130..need advice

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband and I (the USC) are getting ready to file the I-130. We are just gathering the last papers from the translator. Unfortunately as of yesterday, I lost my job. I am the primary support in the household. I am also almost 7 months pregnant. We have to make a decision fast about whether:

1. I should go back home to KY to my mom's house now (we have been married over 2 years and I've been living here) or

2. stick it out here for a few more months to have the baby and then I go back home (this will cause financial stress, but I want my husband to see our baby), or

3, live here and hope I find another job that probably won't pay as much.

If I go back home, I have contacts to help me get a relatively good paying job starting in January. As of right now, my mom is going to have to file the AOS and be a co-sponsor since I haven't made enough money the past 2 years to file taxes.

Ok..so to complicate matters even more, this will not be the first person I have filed for. I got married young the first time and filed for my ex-husband. He got his green card, but we divorced. Then I made another mistake and got married again, but that one got denied because I left him before his application could be processed. I think he may have been deported. Yes, my history sounds bad, but it is all on the up and up, which I plan to explain in a detailed letter when we mail the I-130. I know this is going to make my case more difficult and raise red flags all over the place.

So down to my question in light of my above options and history. Is it better to file the I-130 here before I leave? Does it look better we are here together through the whole process? My thinking is that if we file here (now), with tons of evidence of the marriage, that we would know if they needed more information before I left in November.

Thanks for any and all advice

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My husband and I (the USC) are getting ready to file the I-130. We are just gathering the last papers from the translator. Unfortunately as of yesterday, I lost my job. I am the primary support in the household. I am also almost 7 months pregnant. We have to make a decision fast about whether:

1. I should go back home to KY to my mom's house now (we have been married over 2 years and I've been living here) or

2. stick it out here for a few more months to have the baby and then I go back home (this will cause financial stress, but I want my husband to see our baby), or

3, live here and hope I find another job that probably won't pay as much.

If I go back home, I have contacts to help me get a relatively good paying job starting in January. As of right now, my mom is going to have to file the AOS and be a co-sponsor since I haven't made enough money the past 2 years to file taxes.

Ok..so to complicate matters even more, this will not be the first person I have filed for. I got married young the first time and filed for my ex-husband. He got his green card, but we divorced. Then I made another mistake and got married again, but that one got denied because I left him before his application could be processed. I think he may have been deported. Yes, my history sounds bad, but it is all on the up and up, which I plan to explain in a detailed letter when we mail the I-130. I know this is going to make my case more difficult and raise red flags all over the place.

So down to my question in light of my above options and history. Is it better to file the I-130 here before I leave? Does it look better we are here together through the whole process? My thinking is that if we file here (now), with tons of evidence of the marriage, that we would know if they needed more information before I left in November.

Thanks for any and all advice

Living together is always a plus no matter. Your history may get your husband more scrutinized at interview time. Hopefully if you file now your case may be looked at by November that's no guarantee.

The sooner you file the sooner you can get things moving.

And personally why write a letter bringing up your history? Why bring up questions that may or may not be asked. If asked at interview than your husband can address it because its really his interview. I wouldn't open all that up with explanations on ex's and green cards and denials and all that.

I say that because I have a friend who got married 2 years ago and parents weren't invited there in Nigeria to attend they were afraid they would not be for the union because she is much older and interrupt. So she writes a letter in her I-130 petition and now she has a RFE at USCIS and they want notarized affidavits from the parents explaining why they weren't there. Just a long delay and mess and they will not do it so their petition sits at USCIS now.

Just my two cents.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

You have to disclose the other 2 filings in your petition. So they are out there. The important thing is that your current knows the full history. How long has it been since the last filing ? Filing every 4 years or so is a huge red flag ( looks like you are marrying for money to get people green cards ) Expect issues and then be happy IF they don't come up .

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Personally I would go with option 3 because of your history with multiple filings and living together for a prolonged time

is always good evidence and most of all you get to stay together as a family and will have his support.

To what extend the finances will cause a hardship with a new baby is something only you and your husband can answer.

I hope you will find a decent job there.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

The previous filings, marriages and divorces must be answered on the forms and are in the data base, a letter will address the issues

from the petitioner's perspective.

Dwheels, wow...I have never heard of USCIS sending an RFE for parents not being at a wedding and wanting affidavits. That is bizarre.

Is there a thread about it here on VJ ? In that case I agree they should have saved all the drama for the interview (if it were addressed)

rather than front load that piece of info.

With the multiple filings, marriages and divorces though it is different and should be addressed in a letter up front.

I had previous "circumstances" also and addressed everything in a 3 page letter and was approved without an RFE so

it baffles me that USCIS would get in the middle of all that with the parents not attending a dang wedding, geez, even here

we have in laws and out laws who have "issues" with spouse selection. They are taking their 'cultural' flags too far sometimes

and forget that family issues are a normal part of what is called life and family dynamics, here as well as in any other country.

Spoiler

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

Thanks for the advice. I filed for my first husband in 2002 and the second in 2006, so it has been a while. I get not bringing up any questions that wouldn't be asked, but I'm worried that if I don't explain myself then they will automatically deny our petition. I'm not sure if staying here is going to work out financially another year without me working. We are going to go try to find me another teaching job, but I can't work until January since I'll be having the baby in September. My insurance runs out October 1st, thankfully after the baby is born.

If we were going to get a RFE, how soon after they receive the I-130 would we get that?

Timeline

The previous filings, marriages and divorces must be answered on the forms and are in the data base, a letter will address the issues

from the petitioner's perspective.

Dwheels, wow...I have never heard of USCIS sending an RFE for parents not being at a wedding and wanting affidavits. That is bizarre.

Is there a thread about it here on VJ ? In that case I agree they should have saved all the drama for the interview (if it were addressed)

rather than front load that piece of info.

With the multiple filings, marriages and divorces though it is different and should be addressed in a letter up front.

I had previous "circumstances" also and addressed everything in a 3 page letter and was approved without an RFE so

it baffles me that USCIS would get in the middle of all that with the parents not attending a dang wedding, geez, even here

we have in laws and out laws who have "issues" with spouse selection. They are taking their 'cultural' flags too far sometimes

and forget that family issues are a normal part of what is called life and family dynamics, here as well as in any other country.

Yep bizarre. I think she over did it and wrote a letter which i told her don;t do ad now she has raised more questions. Ad you right I don;t get it but it might be because her age difference and her multiple marriages before that has them saying whats up.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/500318-ref-at-uscis-pretty-specific-why/

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

Thanks for the advice. I filed for my first husband in 2002 and the second in 2006, so it has been a while. I get not bringing up any questions that wouldn't be asked, but I'm worried that if I don't explain myself then they will automatically deny our petition. I'm not sure if staying here is going to work out financially another year without me working. We are going to go try to find me another teaching job, but I can't work until January since I'll be having the baby in September. My insurance runs out October 1st, thankfully after the baby is born.

If we were going to get a RFE, how soon after they receive the I-130 would we get that?

That is hard to say, RFE's can come at any time but if you respond quickly then the wait won't be too much longer.

I wish you the best.

Spoiler

Timeline

There's no way to say about timing on RFE. An RFE happens when they review your petition. The processing times are coming way down so 6 months at USCIS is likely or less. Depending on the RFE what they have to do it could be days or weeks than approval no one knows.

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

Yep bizarre. I think she over did it and wrote a letter which i told her don;t do ad now she has raised more questions. Ad you right I don;t get it but it might be because her age difference and her multiple marriages before that has them saying whats up.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/500318-ref-at-uscis-pretty-specific-why/

Thanks for the link, will check it out.

Spoiler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is nothing like over do it, you still need to state all your previous filling, while your spouse need to know your previous marriages and what transpired. I want you to assume USCIS already knows this, they will ask him about it and probably will be looking out to see if you being honest to your current spouse.

I will advice you to stay till everything get sorted out, maybe get a job even if the pay isnt much, your spouse would apply for EAD and support you? I hope I am not off the topic.

AOS.....

May 24, 2014 (day 0) Mailed my form I-130, I-485, I-758 via UPS
May 27, 2014 (day 3) Packaged delivered
Jun 11, 2014 (day 18) Txt/email received (Finally)
Jun 16, 2014 (day 23) NOA paper form

Jun 19, 2014 (day 26) Received Biometrics appointment for 07/07/2014

Jun 27, 2014 (day 34) Biometrics done (early walk-in)

Jul 02, 2014 RFE email/txt notification

Jul 07 2014 Receive RFE yellow form, asking for sponsors W2, Tax papers

Jul 22 2014 Mailed RFE response

Jul 24 2014 Received: Evidence Response Review

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sep 03 2014 EAD Approved

Sep 08 2014 Case moved to Testing and Interview

Sep 11 2014 EAD/AP COMBO CARD Received

Oct 01 2014 Interview scheduled for 11/04/2014

Oct 02 2014 Interview Notice Received for 11/04/2014

Nov 04 2014 Interview(no decision).but got an approval update few hrs later, GC to production.

Nov 07 2014 Welcome to the United State of America notice received

Nov 12 2014 GC Received

----I-751 Removing Conditions------------------------------------------

Aug 08 2016 Mail form I-751 ROC via USPS

Aug 09 2016 Next day Delivery (Package Delivered)

Aug 11 2016 Check Cashed

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mali
Timeline

I would probably choose option 3 as well. And then if it becomes financially impossible, move back to the US after the baby is born and after you've already started your visa process.

I was in a similar situation (pregnant, wanting to go back to the US but no visa for my husband). I ended up staying here in Mali because, for me, having my husband there for the baby's birth was just too important. We filed a couple of weeks before I gave birth (November), so now the baby is 7 months and we're just barely starting the NVC part of the process.

Have you looked for private tutoring jobs until September? I used to do private ESL tutoring here (before the baby came) and I made decent money. Parents were especially happy to have a tutor during summer vacation.

12/27/12 - Married in Bamako, Mali

11/12/13 - I-130 package sent

11/15/13 - NOA1

05/27/14 - NOA2

06/16/14 - Case received NVC

07/01/14 - Case number assigned

07/21/14 - DS-261 completed

07/25/14 - AOS bill paid

07/30/2014 - AOS package sent

08/18/2014 - add-on AOS package sent (learned that I should have sent 2 separate I-864s even though the cases are joined...oops!)

09/19/2014 - IV bill paid

09/26/2014 - AOS checklist received

11/09/2014 - DS 260 completed online

12/22/2014 - AOS checklist package and IV documents scan date

03/02/2015 - Case Complete!!! (70 days)

04/02/2015 - Interview in Dakar (221g - Needed to verify a court document)

04/21/2015- Visas in hand!!

There is nothing like over do it, you still need to state all your previous filling, while your spouse need to know your previous marriages and what transpired. I want you to assume USCIS already knows this, they will ask him about it and probably will be looking out to see if you being honest to your current spouse.

I will advice you to stay till everything get sorted out, maybe get a job even if the pay isnt much, your spouse would apply for EAD and support you? I hope I am not off the topic.

EAD isn't a factor in a CR1 petition and the USC must submit the affidavit of support (I-864 not I-134) along with proof of meeting the poverty guidelines or have a joint sponsor who does, before the immigrant can travel to the USA. A CR1 visa holder will be granted an immediate green card upon entry.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Is EAD employment authorization? It is going to be tight for him to support me and a new baby when his job isn't that great. Private tutoring may be an option, but right now the wealthier families are traveling. I live in a poor area so nobody here could care less about learning English. I'm going to try to stick it out here, at least until November. I could start a new job with good pay in January (most likely)back in KY and if I stay here, we will spend our plane ticket money. This is such a hard decision.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.