SvetlanaLV

file N400 while I-751 is still pending

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Yup...it's basically just like ROC was where it was also file from the expiration date-90 days (but not earlier). Similar here...indeed, if USCIS was to set some sort of other pack of ####### on us in another 2, or 5 years that would also go with 2 or 5 years later -90 days....they gotta love 90! :) I like 92 since I was born in 1992...but that's kind of irrelevant when it comes to anything in life...especially with USCIS...they'll just stick with their 90s goshdarnit! :) All the best!

I just confuse on 90 days window. So I have to mines 90 not plus

Of course you can assuming you meet all other N400 requirements (3 years of marriage, 3 years - 90 days of permanent residency).

Answer above is incorrect and makes zero sense.

In order to qualify you need to have 3 years living in the U.S. And married to a U.S citizen. It is not only the 3 years of marriage that counts but how many years as a green card holder. if you live here in the U.S you can apply 3 months before you reach the 3 years living in the U.S as a green card holder.

I hope you get what I am trying to say!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

In order to qualify you need to have 3 years living in the U.S. And married to a U.S citizen. It is not only the 3 years of marriage that counts but how many years as a green card holder. if you live here in the U.S you can apply 3 months before you reach the 3 years living in the U.S as a green card holder.

I hope you get what I am trying to say!

Did you notice 3 years - 90 days of permanent residency in my post ?

I thought if not married to a US citizen, an LPR needs to wait for 5 years?

You are correct. I believe the OP is married.

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

@Svetlana: you're #23 response kindda comes down funny (cannot quote it for some reason- I guess VJ has its moments...). It seems like you're reply indicates that it took you two years and 9 months to notice kzielu's "the 3 years- 90 days of permanent residency post." LOL :) Just read that again, and you'll see what I'm talking about....so funny! :) Well, at least you noticed it after 2 years and 9 months...;) Took a while I must admit, but hey! Better than never, huh? ;) I just can't help smiling at that reply combo. :) And no, I'm not trying to be rude here, or ridicule you in a mean way, so please don't take it that way! Take care!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Wife sent her N-400 precisely 88 days before her 3rd green card anniversary. On that day, we already have been married three years, more like four because we had a 13 month wait for our adjustment of status even before she received her conditional green card.

We already had submitted our I-751 precisely 89 days before her conditional green card expired, all she received was a one year extension notice.

You need to send in a copy of your green card, all we had at that time was an expired conditional green card and that one year extension notice. If I had to define the evidence we also had to send in, would be a combination of what we already sent in for our AOS, and ROC stages, plus updated material.

After two weeks after sending in her N-400, she received a biometrics appointment, this was less than 15 months the USCIS states they received the last one. We didn't argue it, just made that 450 mile round trip to have her photo taken again. But then her citizenship appointment date was set after her one year extension notice would have expired. Its up to us to keep her legal so we made an infopass appointment to get an I-551 stamp in her foreign passport book for yet another 450 mile trip, then yet another 450 mile trip for her citizenship interview.

Her IO checked her foreign passport book, yes you are still legal and she passed her citizenship interview, but only to have her oath ceremony scheduled. Our field office does not do same day oaths.

It was about two weeks after her interview, she finally received her ten year card, finally!!! But it was about four weeks after this, she finally had her oath ceremony and she had to give it back. Ha, she didn't want to have all the stress we went through to get it. Asked if they could punch a hole in it or something. But was given her certificate of citizenship and we both realized we were done with the USCIS.

First thing she said when we got in the car for that long drive home, if anything happens to my mom, I can't visit her. So the next day immediately applied for a US passport, more forms, more money. Her best day was showing her employer she is now a US citizen, in Wisconsin, her employer could be fined $16,300.00 for hiring an undocumented person, another key reason why we had to get that I-551 stamp.

We are not the only ones that went through this, hundreds have. Some with earlier appointments and same day oaths, never even seen their ten year green card.

We most likely would have waited for the five year if she did receive her ten year card in a timely manner. Very little to gain, plus we had to send in about an inch thick of evidence, don't need any of this for the five year. Very little to gain, one is getting a federal job, but were having layoffs due to the economy, another is the right to vote, but in Wisconsin, elections are already determined before they even come here. Local elections, 99% run unopposed. With a DOS agreement with her home country, still has to maintain her foreign passport, no gains there. And with her employer, wouldn't bother her for another ten years with that card in her hands.

But for awhile, she felt naked not carrying that card, but quickly got use to it. One side benefit for me, finally free of that I-864. With this economy, never know when you will lose your job.

@NickD: jesus....you're journey was long as heck! Sorry to hear that! However, glad to hear you guys are finally done with USCIS! I bet you guys will never forget it though. Congratulations being done! Bet it's a relief after that much headache. Our case was short and sweet, so I can't complain. All the best, and thanks for sharing your experience! Take care!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

@NickD: jesus....you're journey was long as heck! Sorry to hear that! However, glad to hear you guys are finally done with USCIS! I bet you guys will never forget it though. Congratulations being done! Bet it's a relief after that much headache. Our case was short and sweet, so I can't complain. All the best, and thanks for sharing your experience! Take care!

Could have responded just by saying yes, you can apply for the N-400 while your I-751 is still pending. As long as you meet the requirements for the N-400.

USCIS for what they charge, could send a reminder your I-751 or N-400 is due, but they don't work this way. And will have a fight on your hands just to keep yourself legal.

Could compare this to any of our private company affairs where forms are involved. Want our business, asked questions, fill out all the forms, and we just check them over for accuracy before signing. But not dealing with companies that want our business, dealing with the government. How about collecting sales tax for the state with no compensation, or doing tax returns while getting migraines trying to make head or tails from some of the questions.

And if you make one tiny error, will be fined or rejected. Don't dare being one second late for an interview, can be rejected. But okay to sit in the waiting room for 4 1/2 hours even afraid of using the rest room. Have to be there one called.

Have the immigration papers for my grandfather, was hand printed by an officer at Ellis Island. Then he had to attend night classes two nights per week for six weeks before he could become a US citizen. A lot has changed since then.

• 2 months later...

Hello every one! Is there any one applied for naturalization on April and still waiting have pending waiting for interview letter,?

N-400 ( based on 5 years rule )
4/28/2012: sent the N-400 package
4/30/2014: package was delivered
4/30/2014: Receipt Date /Priority Date
5/4/2014: Check Cashed
5/06/2014-: Notice Date
5/14/2014: Biometric letter mailed
5/30/2014: Biometric appointment
7//8/2014 -:Pre- Interview (yellow Letter mailed
-------------: Interview appointment
-------------: Oath-taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.