Penny Lane

A High School In Utah Photoshopped Girls’ Yearbook Pictures To Show Less Skin

57 posts in this topic

high-school-yearbook-638x357.jpg

High school administrators in Utah have come under fire this week for digitally altering some female students’ yearbook photos to make it appear as though they’re wearing higher necklines and longer sleeves. The students are upset that the pictures were photoshopped without their knowledge, but the school officials say they’re just making sure that the yearbook adheres to the dress code.

“I just started flipping through and noticed that mine was edited, that my shirt was pulled up farther,” Shelby Baum, a sophomore at Wasatch High School whose altered photo is pictured above, told KSTU. “They didn’t tell you before they edited it, they didn’t give you an option to fix it — so you look funny in your yearbook picture.”

The students also complained that the editing appeared to be somewhat random. Even among the girls who were wearing similar shirts, only some of those photos were altered, while others remained untouched.

School officials acknowledged that they should have done a better job of altering every photo that didn’t meet the dress code, but see no issue with photoshopping pictures of female students. “We only apologize in the sense that we want to be more consistent with what we’re trying to do in that sense we can help kids better prepare for their future by knowing how to dress appropriately for things,” Terry E. Shoemaker, the superintendent for the Wasatch County School District, said in a statement.

Wasatch School District’s dress code bans articles of clothing that “cause an actual and/or perceived disruption of the educational environment or activities,” and specifies that “modesty includes covering shoulders, midriff, back, underwear, and cleavage at all times.” The policy bans short skirts, spaghetti straps, crop tops, and anything that’s too “tight and revealing.” Crossdressing is also explicitly prohibited.

It’s not unusual for schools to strictly police girls’ clothing in this way. Across the country, school dress codes send girls the message that it’s their responsibility to cover up their bodies so they’re not objectified by their male peers. Several schools have recently sparked controversy for banning leggings and kicking girls out of prom, all under the guise of preventing boys from getting too “distracted.”

But ultimately, dress codes place an unfair burden on girls, teaching them they have to change their behavior to accommodate boys who can’t control themselves. They also tend to reinforce gender stereotypes and punish kids for straying outside of them. Parents have protested these clothing restrictions, pointing out they ultimately reinforce unhealthy attitudes about sexuality that contribute to rape culture.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/05/29/3442567/utah-high-school-yearbook/

Well yeah, Mormons.

I used to know this Mormon guy in high school, and he had a crush on this non-Mormon girl. His fantasy was to take her and baptize her (as he was an "elder") and then they would have some crazy sex. That got him hot.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Well yeah, Mormons.

I used to know this Mormon guy in high school, and he had a crush on this non-Mormon girl. His fantasy was to take her and baptize her (as he was an "elder") and then they would have some crazy sex. That got him hot.

That kinda excites me also

well Penny.. I think most of us guys are all for showing more skin. I predict this will be a non-controversial thread that will descend into a testosterone towel slap fest quickly

You done good for your first top post back. i will give you a +1

School officials acknowledged that they should have done a better job of altering every photo that didn’t meet the dress code, but see no issue with photoshopping pictures of female students. “We only apologize in the sense that we want to be more consistent with what we’re trying to do in that sense we can help kids better prepare for their future by knowing how to dress appropriately for things,” Terry E. Shoemaker, the superintendent for the Wasatch County School District, said in a statement.

Because WHORES.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I kind of understand. She don't need to be showing her tattooed ####### in her year book. If she just so happens to grow up and be a decent girl, later on she will be embarrassed and wish she had not done this.

Because Wxxxxx

Not that there is anything wrong with them. Some of the best times in my life were because of them

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Well yeah, Mormons.

Yeah, but it is all done in the name of Jesus, so it is a-OK!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Her tattoo was just below her collarbone. In fact, it was photoshopped out, because it was above the photoshopped in neckline on her outfit. It wasn't on her #######.

This is a bloody stupid thing. The girl shown in the picture is dressed much more modestly than people I see going into offices here, in the summer!

Policing women's bodies is wrong. End of.

Don't scream at me. I am entitled to my opinion. I have never screamed at you.

The tattoo is at the top of her booby. She is still a girl and needs a grown up to help her out in life because the grown knows how ignorant people can be.

Policing clothes? No. Respecting your appearance? Yes. Nothing is wrong to want a respectable appearance. She is a girl and she needs to know this. When she gets out into the real world it will be a lot crueler than photo.

You should hear how we talk about people we see here.

Don't scream at me. I am entitled to my opinion. I have never screamed at you.

The tattoo is at the top of her booby. She is still a girl and needs a grown up to help her out in life because the grown knows how ignorant people can be.

Policing clothes? No. Respecting your appearance? Yes. Nothing is wrong to want a respectable appearance. She is a girl and she needs to know this. When she gets out into the real world it will be a lot crueler than photo.

You should hear how we talk about people we see here.

Did you forget you are on VJ