confusegirl2014

What will happen if we separate or divorce with my US citizen husband

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I only have a 2 year green card and will expire on 2016. What will happen if me and my US citizen husband will separate or divorce before my 2 year GC will expire?can I stay here in the US and won't be deported even if we separate or divorce as long as I have a job?thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

no, you will need to remove conditions as divorced and prove that your marriage was a bona fide one. you need to get the 10 year GC or else you will be deported

many have filed as divorced. as long as you have all the evidence you will be ok

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

How can I prove that our marriage is in good faith?does having a joint account,joint income tax,insurance beneficiary and wedding pics enough?

It can take up to a year to receive the green card. A lot can happen between a newly married couple in that time. Especially when you do it through something like the K1 visa where you may not have spent very much time living with the person.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Family-based AOS to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Timeline

Hey,

I believe that you should get a divorce. I truly don't know what's your case and i'm noone to judge you,but you should just let him go. After you file for a divorce try finding a job if you don't have one and get a lawyer to represent you. Gather everything that prooves that you actually had a bonafide relationship. Do you still have conversations of both of you before you ever came to the States that shows how he was different then?right now either Audio record or voice record his behaviour towards you and give it to the lawyer.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I just think there are more ways to work out marriages these than opting for the easy way... Divorce. My opinion

Anyone who thinks a divorce is easy has had the blessing of not having to endure one - and shouldn't be throwing stones at other people, lest it come back to bite them.

OP: folks have mentioned that you might have a difficult time, depending on the timeline between marriage and divorce petition. I will say that, personally, I know it's very, very hard to adjust to living with someone after marriage. So, if there aren't dealbreaker things for you (whatever they may be, and only you know what they are), consider whether or not there are simply adjustments to be made to your marriage that will help you both be happy. (Do you spend enough time alone? Do you still communicate the way you did while apart? Have you made your own friends? Do you eat your own comfort foods? Lots of things lead to a sense of unhappiness.)

Good luck.

OP - If you do decide to get divorced, you will need to file for ROC with a divorce waiver (just a box you check on the petition everyone else has to do) either as soon as the divorce is complete or within the 90 day window before your current GC expires, whichever occurs FIRST. You need to submit everything which proves your marriage was entered into in good faith so that would be all of the things you mentioned, photos, cards sent to you both etc. Anything and everything you have.

I recently filed and sent a folder for each year of our relationship and marriage containing literally everything that i could find that showed we had a joint life.

CR-1
07-01-2011 : Married

05-10-2012 : I-130 Mailed to London (DCF)
05-11-2012 : I-130 Delivered and signed for at Embassy
05-18-2012 : NOA1 Email
07-26-2012 : NOA2 (69 days)
07-28-2012 : NOA2 hard copy received
08-10-2012 : LND Case number received. Letter dated 08-07-2012
08-15-2012 : DS-230 and DS-2001 mailed to Embassy
08-23-2012 : Medical
09-14-2012 : Emailed Embassy and confirmed DS forms have finally been logged (After 29 days)
09-22-2012 : Interview letter received. Dated September 19th.
10-03-2012 : Interview - Approved!
NOA1 to Interview - 138 days.
10-10-2012 : Passport with Visa delivered two hours late at 8pm.
10-22-2012 : POE Philadelphia
11-15-2012 : Green Card received in mail
12-11-2012 : Went to the Social Security office to apply for SSN after it did not arrive.
12-15-2012 : SSN Arrived in 4 days.

05-09-2013 : Left USC Husband.
11-28-2013: Filed for divorce.

05-01-2014: Divorced

05-08-2014: Sent I-751 petition to VSC

05-13-2014: NOA1 (was not postmarked until 5/22/14 and received on 5/24/14)
06-18-2014: Biometrics in St. Albans, VT

11-21-2014: RFE. Received on 11/24/14.

01-22-2015: Interview notice mailed out. Received 1/26/15

02-12-2015: Interview in St Albans, VT - Approved during interview!

CRBA
08-16-2012 : CRBA in London for our daughter - Approved!
09-11-2012 : CRBA and Passport arrived.
09-25-2012 : SSN Arrived. Mailed from MD on 09-17-2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.