Hotter Otter

5 Things I've Learnt About the US Immigration Process

42 posts in this topic

The point of my post is that the secrecy is wrong. No amount of national security concerns can posiibly justify this 21st Century Star Chamber. Even the terrorists at Guantanamo get to face their accusers and state their cases.

Every US court, quasi court and administrative tribunal is open, at least to the people involved, if not to the public. Every one that is, except two: The State Department and USCIS. Funny how you should mention North Korea and Russia because these two agencies act like they have been trained by Kim Jong Un and Vladimir Putin. And they get away with it, right under our noses, in the greatest democracy in the world.

Why is that?

Well, I do think the US is a pretty great country, but there are other great countries too, and I don't think the unbridled patriotism really helps or is meaningful in this context.

In the US, we have a right to a fair trial, but we do not have a right to immigration. The alien is the one that is approved or denied a visa, not the USC. Those two reasons are part of the reasons why the "client" cannot always get all the facts of their decision immediately.

The process is opaque, and that is frustrating in an instant-gratification over-exposure to meaningless noise world. But you will be approved, and all will be well. I believe you already have been approved.

Not that I defend USCIS, but the more you learn about the process, the more you understand how these things came to be. My only real criticism is that it should be somewhat faster.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We have a right to due process, guaranteed by the 5th Amendment. And that right extends to aliens who use our tribunals too. Now how can a 21st Century Star Chamber possibly be considered due process? The entire process should be as transparent as glass. Due process demands nothing less.

BTW yes we have been approved. That was a week ago. And for the past 8 days the file has been collecting dust, untouched by anyone, while others who were approved around the same time rocketed right past us. How is this due process?

We have a right to due process, guaranteed by the 5th Amendment. And that right extends to aliens who use our tribunals too. Now how can a 21st Century Star Chamber possibly be considered due process? The entire process should be as transparent as glass. Due process demands nothing less.

BTW yes we have been approved. That was a week ago. And for the past 8 days the file has been collecting dust, untouched by anyone, while others who were approved around the same time rocketed right past us. How is this due process?

Did you listen earlier when I said .................. that if you understood the family immigration systems of other countries better, you might be proud of ours? Were you listening?

For the record, I'm not just talking about North Korea here.

You didn't have to prove you earn more money than 50 percent of the population.

Once she gets here, it won't take her five years to get permanent residency.

You won't have to pay the equivalent of $5000 USD for her to gain permanent residency.

She won't have to take an English language test to be granted residency.

If you need an apartment, in the US it's illegal to discrimate due to ethnicity. In this other country, you can't send her out hunting for a family home. Landlords will hang up the phone on her because she's accented. They have been appointed by the government to ascertain if someone is legally present in the country or else they will be fined. So instead - they just don't talk to anyone who doesn't have a local accent.

She'll have a document that proves she's authorized to work. Instead of employers just turning her away because the immigration status of people in that country is too complex to be bothered to learn.

Guess which country this is? Go on. I bet you can't even come close to guessing correctly.

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

No it shouldn't be. It deals with national security. Find me a country in the world that has a clear as glass national security system and I'll call "bullsh*t"

USCIS - United States Citizenship and immigration services is part of WHAT department in the government?

It should be faster, and we should know what "generally" goes on, but we do generally know what goes on and it's faster than it used to be. I can only hope it gets faster as it progresses.

**/double post edited**

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

No it shouldn't be. It deals with national security. Find me a country in the world that has a clear as glass national security system and I'll call "bullsh*t"

USCIS - United States Citizenship and immigration services is part of WHAT department in the government?

It should be faster, and we should know what "generally" goes on, but we do generally know what goes on and it's faster than it used to be. I can only hope it gets faster as it progresses.

**/double post edited**

Yeah and I see USCIS is doing a great job of it too. Just ask the victims of the Bostom Marathon bombing how well USCIS keeps terrrorists out. Or perhaps you would like to ask the families of the September 11 victims. What about the almost victims of the shoe bomber or the underwear bomber or the TImes Square bomber? Our "secure" government let all of these terrorists in with arms open and eyes closed. So please don't lecture me on how great our security is.

Edited by Al422

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Made me smile! :D

ROC

01/18/2017   Sent in I-751

01/26/2017   Check cashed

01/28/2017   Received NOA dated 01/20/2017

02/16/2017   Biometrics done

10/24/2017   Traveled to Minneapolis for I551 stamp

02/26/2018     Case received by Field Office - S. Paul

05/012018     Case transferred to another USCIS office for processing 

N-400

02/02/2018    Filed N-400 online

02/05/2018    NOA online - NOA letter 02/09/2018

02/21/2018     Biometrics walk-in

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

The 5th (not counting the public domain part) and 6th Amendments only apply to criminal cases.

AOS

I am the petitioner:
11/11/2013 filed I-130, I-485, and I-765 concurrently
11/19/2013 NOA1
11/29/2013 received biometrics appointment letter
12/06/2013 RFE
12/19/2013 biometrics completed
12/20/2013 RFE Response mailed to NSC
12/21/2013 RFE Response delivered to NSC
12/24/2013 Case placed in RFE Review status
01/16/2014 EAD in document production
01/21/2014 EAD mailed out
01/22/2014 I-485 placed in Testing and Interview status
01/23/2014 EAD received

05/07/2014 Received notification that interview is scheduled for June 12

06/12/2014 Interview. I-130 approved, but AOS pending decision

06/13/2014 AOS approved

06/18/2014 Notification that Green Card has been mailed

06/20/2014 Received green card and welcome letters

I-751:Removal of Conditions

03/19/2016 Mailed I-751 package to VSC via USPS Priority Express

03/21/2016 VSC received I-751

03/25/2016 $590 check cashed

03/28/2016 Received NOA1 dated 03/22/2016

04/08/2016 Received biometrics appointment for 04/18/2016
04/18/2016 Biometrics completed

03/25/2017 Received approval letter (date of approval was 03/19/2017)

04/04/2017 Received "New card is being produced" text messages and emails

03/19/2017 ROC approved

N-400: Naturalization

04/19/2017 Priority date

05/15/2017 Biometrics completed

06/16/2017 Case in line for an interview

12/04/2017 Interview was scheduled 

12/09/2017 Received interview appointment letter 01/09/2018

01/09/2018 Interview (passed tests and recommended for approval)

01/23/2018 Online status updated to "Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled"

03/14/2018 Online Status updated to "Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed" (letter received 03/17)

03/28/2018 Oath Ceremony...wife is a U.S. Citizen!

Timeline

The 5th (not counting the public domain part) and 6th Amendments only apply to criminal cases.

Not so. Due process is a right in civil court cases as well as cases before administrative tribunals.

Yeah and I see USCIS is doing a great job of it too. Just ask the victims of the Bostom Marathon bombing how well USCIS keeps terrrorists out. Or perhaps you would like to ask the families of the September 11 victims. What about the almost victims of the shoe bomber or the underwear bomber or the TImes Square bomber? Our "secure" government let all of these terrorists in with arms open and eyes closed. So please don't lecture me on how great our security is.

You understand that the Department of Homeland Security was created AFTER 9/11 right?

Not so. Due process is a right in civil court cases as well as cases before administrative tribunals.

This is not a court case.

FYI - I am not the American in this case. It's your government, not mine. :D

<<<<< Please note the member title. <<<<<

<EOM>

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I stand corrected.

AOS

I am the petitioner:
11/11/2013 filed I-130, I-485, and I-765 concurrently
11/19/2013 NOA1
11/29/2013 received biometrics appointment letter
12/06/2013 RFE
12/19/2013 biometrics completed
12/20/2013 RFE Response mailed to NSC
12/21/2013 RFE Response delivered to NSC
12/24/2013 Case placed in RFE Review status
01/16/2014 EAD in document production
01/21/2014 EAD mailed out
01/22/2014 I-485 placed in Testing and Interview status
01/23/2014 EAD received

05/07/2014 Received notification that interview is scheduled for June 12

06/12/2014 Interview. I-130 approved, but AOS pending decision

06/13/2014 AOS approved

06/18/2014 Notification that Green Card has been mailed

06/20/2014 Received green card and welcome letters

I-751:Removal of Conditions

03/19/2016 Mailed I-751 package to VSC via USPS Priority Express

03/21/2016 VSC received I-751

03/25/2016 $590 check cashed

03/28/2016 Received NOA1 dated 03/22/2016

04/08/2016 Received biometrics appointment for 04/18/2016
04/18/2016 Biometrics completed

03/25/2017 Received approval letter (date of approval was 03/19/2017)

04/04/2017 Received "New card is being produced" text messages and emails

03/19/2017 ROC approved

N-400: Naturalization

04/19/2017 Priority date

05/15/2017 Biometrics completed

06/16/2017 Case in line for an interview

12/04/2017 Interview was scheduled 

12/09/2017 Received interview appointment letter 01/09/2018

01/09/2018 Interview (passed tests and recommended for approval)

01/23/2018 Online status updated to "Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled"

03/14/2018 Online Status updated to "Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed" (letter received 03/17)

03/28/2018 Oath Ceremony...wife is a U.S. Citizen!

I don't see the US process as being any better or worse than that of the UK, or Australia, or New Zealand, three countries that I'm most familiar with. I went through the spouse visa, marriage, permanent residence and citizenship process in the UK, and the citizenship process in Australia.

Every country has its boxes to tick, its hoops to jump through. I don't see what 'due process' has to do with any of this.

There is nothing mysterious about the USCIS processses.

Fill out the forms, provide the required evidence and you'll get the outcome you expect.

Filed: Timeline

Don't forget the travel and hotel costs for the medical exam!

I'm confused. You're complaining that the government is not doing a great job of keeping terrorists out yet you want them to make the security checks and processes faster and easier? :unsure:

Oh and, for the record, the US is not "the greatest country in the world." :lol:

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.