AboSohaila

"A decision can not be made now" what is that?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi you guys,

I hope everyone is reading this will help me out understanding what is going on here?

I had my naturalization interview (3 years based on marriage to US citizen) in San francisco office, everything was ok, i passed my civic and english test. after the interview is done, the Officer handed me a paper says " a decision can not be made on your case now" and he said u will wait and hear from us in the mail?

why i see people gets "recommanded for approval" and yet he say i can not take a decision on ur case?

what is going on? what is gonna happened? is anyone in the same situation or had same experience?

please advise :cry:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got the same thing in Atlanta, I've been waiting since September

Sorry

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

They went through my entire file and asked various questions about the information I put in the forms. They asked about my relationship with my husband and the documentation I provided when I submitted the initial petition. Tax returns are submitted with the petition. We submitted in April and interviewed in September so there wasn't any tax changes that needed to be updated. Not too many personal questions. It was also 8 months ago however

good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

They went through my entire file and asked various questions about the information I put in the forms. They asked about my relationship with my husband and the documentation I provided when I submitted the initial petition. Tax returns are submitted with the petition. We submitted in April and interviewed in September so there wasn't any tax changes that needed to be updated. Not too many personal questions. It was also 8 months ago however

good luck

That's so odd!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Timeline

You cannot file a lawsuit until all other avenues have been exhausted, including contacting USCIS service request, an infopass, contacting a congressman, etc

good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

variables that I've read about:

1. IO not have your A-File during the interview

2. IO not senior enough , a newbie, so must have supervisor oversight

3. Backlog at that local office

4. Final Final Namechecks not requested in a timely manner, and folk forgot about it

So, if I were in yer shoes, I'd engage the Constituent Liason at your Congressman's office (you have 3 congressmen, 2 REPS and 1 Senator) that serves as the Immigration Liason Staffer (ask who does this, via telephone); giving over a privacy release form, then

have that ILS human pound a bit with an inquiry.

Report back here, when able.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

4. Final Final Namechecks not requested in a timely manner, and folk forgot about it

So, if I were in yer shoes, I'd engage the Constituent Liason at your Congressman's office (you have 3 congressmen, 2 REPS and 1 Senator) that serves as the Immigration Liason Staffer (ask who does this, via telephone); giving over a privacy release form, then

so the IO was little not sure how is my name works because my forigen passort has full name consists of 6 names, while my green card only 3 names

is that why he put me on "a decision can not be made" ? if yes, how long it takes them to clear my name?

yes if they will not respond to me i will contact my senator

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

good luck

Can you please clarify.When you said the entire file and forms..are u talking about the N-400 form ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

so the IO was little not sure how is my name works because my forigen passort has full name consists of 6 names, while my green card only 3 names

is that why he put me on "a decision can not be made" ? if yes, how long it takes them to clear my name?

yes if they will not respond to me i will contact my senator

In addition to Darnell's reasons, I've read about cases where a decision couldn't be made because it was not clear at the time of the interview whether or not the applicant met the eligibility criteria. In some cases the applicant sent in the application a day early or didn't meet the 90 residency requirement or was suspected of having abandoned their permanent residency by staying out of the country for too long.

Regarding your name, I think if there was nothing else "strange" about your interview, you may have found the reason for the delay in your approval. The IO may not have been sure whether or not you needed a name change application. If you read the guidelines given to IOs, it's clear that whenever there is a conflict between the name on different documents, they have to go back to your birth certificate unless you have a legal name change document. If you didn't have a copy of your birth certificate, you may get an RFE requesting one. Or the IO's supervisor may simply decide that the name on your passport is your legal name and that that name should be the one on your certificate unless you fill out a name change request. If it's just a matter of confusion about the name, then this will probably be resolved quickly.

One possible complication could be the background check. Did you write your full name (the one on the passport) in the "other names used" section of the n400? If not, then they will have to run the background check again before they can approve you.

Please note that I'm just trying to offer you hopeful guesses based on what I've read... I have not been interviewed yet.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Can you please clarify.When you said the entire file and forms..are u talking about the N-400 form ?

I mean the entire file from the initial I130 filed back in 2008 to the N400 form.

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Timeline

Thanks for your replay,

Actually i did not write my entire full name which was on the passport in the second section ""another name used", and the IO had wrote it himself and maybe that is the reason why? he might need to run my entire name to be checked before approval? if yes, how long it takes them to clear my name?

ty

In addition to Darnell's reasons, I've read about cases where a decision couldn't be made because it was not clear at the time of the interview whether or not the applicant met the eligibility criteria. In some cases the applicant sent in the application a day early or didn't meet the 90 residency requirement or was suspected of having abandoned their permanent residency by staying out of the country for too long.

Regarding your name, I think if there was nothing else "strange" about your interview, you may have found the reason for the delay in your approval. The IO may not have been sure whether or not you needed a name change application. If you read the guidelines given to IOs, it's clear that whenever there is a conflict between the name on different documents, they have to go back to your birth certificate unless you have a legal name change document. If you didn't have a copy of your birth certificate, you may get an RFE requesting one. Or the IO's supervisor may simply decide that the name on your passport is your legal name and that that name should be the one on your certificate unless you fill out a name change request. If it's just a matter of confusion about the name, then this will probably be resolved quickly.

One possible complication could be the background check. Did you write your full name (the one on the passport) in the "other names used" section of the n400? If not, then they will have to run the background check again before they can approve you.

Please note that I'm just trying to offer you hopeful guesses based on what I've read... I have not been interviewed yet.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks for your replay,

Actually i did not write my entire full name which was on the passport in the second section ""another name used", and the IO had wrote it himself and maybe that is the reason why? he might need to run my entire name to be checked before approval? if yes, how long it takes them to clear my name?

ty

I'm not sure, but I assume that it shouldn't take more than the time it took to do the name check the first time... however long it took between your biometrics appointment and your being placed in line for interview. Of course, that's assuming that we found the real reason and that your full name doesn't raise any red flags. Good luck to you.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.